Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Weather Alerts - Wrong State/Counties

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Detrick 
#1 ·
Posting this in the Electronics section, hopefully that is correct.

2015 Colorado - Anyone have any issues with the Weather Advisories/Alerts? I'm about 50 miles from the WY border and keep getting alerts for counties that are in WY that aren't even close to where I am. I live in a very populated area, so it's not like I'm in the sticks. Don't see any settings to change where the warnings originate from (would have figured the truck knew where I am since it has GPS.) :smile2:

#2 ·
Yeah I turned those on just to see if I liked it and I noticed some of that too. Probably will turn it off since I have a smartphone with that anyway.

#3 ·
I saw something like that on my New Canyon, Turned out to be my Onstar module was n.g. See if your compass is working and if the L.E.D. for Onstar up in the rear view mirror is red, The L.E.D. has to be green. You might have the same problem. I just had the module changed.

#5 ·
When I dropped it off for body work yesterday it was green and Navigation worked just fine. Just getting the weather alerts from the wrong state. Once I get it back (8 days) I'll poke around a little more and maybe call the Infotainment Team to see what they say.

#6 ·
Just wanted to bump up this thread to see if anyone found a way to adjust the distance for weather alerts being displayed. I am also getting alerts for fairly distant counties in other states. What's really annoying is that the alerts are a fairly low volume ordinarily, but when I'm in a phone call (using Bluetooth, of course), the alerts get really loud and basically disrupt the entire call (since they always come in bunches for the various counties in NJ, NY, and PA. I wish I could either restrict the amount of alerts that come in or at least make it so that they don't ruin my phone calls. (I know I could completely shut the feature off, but I don't want to do that.)

#7 ·
The same problem in my 2015 Cadillac SRX. I receive...

flash flood
thunderstorm watch
thunderstorm warning
tornado watch
tornado warning

...weather alerts from counties 200+ miles away in a different State! These are in addition to those pertaining to my location. I have multiple weather alerts going off and impairing my driving only to find out that most do not apply to my area!

After taking my vehicle to the dealership, they told me they cannot do anything about this defect in programming - there is no way for them to geographically customize to my localized area as do TV and Radio Station weather reports. I may cancel my SIRIUS XM subscription for weather notifications, as there is no point to pay to get notifications that do not apply. POOR QUALITY CONTROL GM!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.