Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

How to: Power Tailgate Lock

112K views 235 replies 116 participants last post by  TurboDiverArt 
#1 · (Edited)
I used the Pop & lock kit PL8140, found here:
Amazon.com: Pop & Lock PL8140 Power Tailgate Lock for Chevy/GMC: Automotive

1. Remove the tailgate lock panel cover using hex bit
2. Remove retainer clip on top of the OEM cam. Use a small screwdriver to pull up the tiny tab on the retainer clip, then slide the clip off. Remove the OEM cam.
3. Replace original cam with cam from pop-lock, and secure with pop-lock retainer clip
4. Mount pop-lock unit by removing the bolt on the right and then replacing once pop-lock actuator is installed
5. Run wire from under tailgate to the pop-lock unit
6. Run the wire down the truck frame rail
7. Remove the driver side sill panel by pulling up on the edges and then rotate out/up
8. Drill 1/4 hole into plastic cover under driver foot well
9. Pull wire through and insert wire into wire tray at the front
10. Find the larger solid gray wire, and the larger tan with yellow stripe wire
11. Use red crimp connectors to join the pop-lock blue wire to the solid grey wire, and the pop-lock green wire to the tan/yellow stripe wire. Note: tan/yellow may appear tan/green-ish due to lighting conditions.
12. Test locking/unlocking to verify expected results

If any questions you can refer to this video, or ask me questions. Enjoy!

Edit: Corrected step 11 to reference tan/yellow wire instead of tan/green.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's what the kit comes with. I found that I needed about 15 more zip ties then what they provided. So make sure to grab those before you start.

Attachments

#3 ·
Man I think I just found the next thing I want to put on my truck... Didn't realize this existed in the aftermarket.

I see that you used the one for the Silverado / Sierra. Is there any fitment issues when you put the cover plate back?

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#4 ·
Well written. My install was exactly the same as yours.

I see that you used the one for the Silverado / Sierra. Is there any fitment issues when you put the cover plate back?
No fitment issues at all. Pop & Lock verified this as well.

#15 ·
I hope that's the case. I'm not home so I can't confirm. Once I get back, I'll be checking and if it's open I'll be ordering this in a heartbeat.

#17 ·
I have owned my truck since Feb but I've never locked the tailgate. This thread got me thinking about it and so I just went out to lock it and found out that when I had the bed Linex'ed that they removed the tailgate access cover but ended up spraying the entire lock assembly covering to the point the key will barely turn the lock and it will not turn enough to lock the tailgate. So I guess I'll be stopping by the Linex shop so they can order me another lock assembly. Then the Pop & Lock I just ordered will work. Darn!

#22 ·
Updated the post to reflect true color of tan/yellow. Also here's a pic

Attachments

#25 ·
OK I got mine installed on my Canyon last night. Hardest part was running the wire. The lock works just fine with the key fob.

Problem I'm having is that when using the key, the lock will lock when I turn the key to the right, but when I turn the key back to vertical take it out it is unlocking the handle again. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for the installation guide. There are some very minor differences on the Canyon, but your guide was a big help!

#26 ·
No I do not have this issue. You replaced the OEM cam with the Poplock cam, right? If so you may want to re-adjust the poplock cam. It has a little wiggle room so you may want to center it better.

#28 ·
Just wanted to mention that I have found a "work around" for anyone else that may have the issue of the key not locking the tailgate after the Pop&Lock installation.

Simply turn the key to the lock position, then hold up the handle like you were opening the tailgate while turning the key back to vertical. Now release the handle, and the tailgate should be locked.

#29 ·
Yea, sounds like the cam needs to be rotated some. This is what I meant by wiggle room.

Attachments

#30 ·
Just did this today. Not too bad... 2hrs work and it works like a charm. Thanks for the post & video, as it really helped me!

Reactions: enigy
#32 ·
Yea that looks to be the same position as what I have, and I do not have any issues.

#35 ·
Yea that doesn't really sound like overspray. Just curious, after installing the electric lock why would you need to use the key? I installed it specifically so I would never have to use the physical key again.

#41 ·
I agree on the brown or tan/yellow, at least from looking at the schematics each door gets a tan/yellow, I used the larger of the three. For the gray wire it ended up being the large gray one that has an even larger black shroud around it. Working fine now except for the **** cam and the amount of play it has, I don't understand the amount of play there. If I use the key to unlock the truck I need to be very careful to not turn the key too far or the cam will move and get into a position where it restricts the solenoid from being able to move the lever far enough to lock the doors. I'm OK as long as I don't turn the key too far...or never use it ;)

#42 ·
Working fine now except for the **** cam and the amount of play it has, I don't understand the amount of play there.
Obviously the tolerances of this Silverado/Sierra kit are a wee bit looser on a Colorado, since it wasn't designed for it.

If I use the key to unlock the truck I need to be very careful to not turn the key too far or the cam will move and get into a position where it restricts the solenoid from being able to move the lever far enough to lock the doors. I'm OK as long as I don't turn the key too far...or never use it ;)
Bewildered as to the effort to install a keyless locking system, and still using the key???

#44 ·
I never said I WOULD use the key but I would like to know I COULD use the key if needed. Why would I buy the kit if I didn't plan on using it? I'm pretty sure everyone who has installed this kit has installed the cam, but why? The only reason for the cam is so that you can use the key...

#46 ·
Sorry for the prod, but the multi post fixation on using the key for the keyless install threw up blinders...

Assuming it never fails, I will never use my key, but if the actuator fails I still want to be able to operate the tailgate lock (at least until I can get it fixed)...
to which this post removes. Now it is clear as to why the pursuance of that remedy.
One gets excited about adding new gizmos, that failsafes get forgotten.

#49 ·
Limiting the key movement to 45 degrees will keep the cam in position, it's just real easy to slip past 45 and then the cam starts to shift into the area where it will interfere with the remote lock or worse unlock it as you get the key to the vertical position. But if it gets out of position just turn the key to unlock and go a little past 45 degrees in that direction to shift the cam back in place.

#50 ·
Love the mod but what a pain in the ass install that was... I guess my eyes see colors differently.

Also having the same manual open/close issue as the others, but works like a charm with the key fob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.