Backup Lights Installed - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 PM

ahhhh guessing no markings ( + / - ) to hint which way....

Going to be a bit tough to put in reverse (manual shifter on my truck) and see if they come on when you are the only one around lol

(will have to wait till dark to give it a try)

late edit... Wait.... Could I keep the engine off and just put it in reverse and see if it lights up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
yes you can.

Tried the turn key on but not starting the truck and it didn't work. I was able to position the lens in such a way that I could see a reflection if the bulb came on after starting the engine. Naturally, both bulbs had to be rotated before they worked... lol

Now the proud owner of a 2015 Colorado WT--- so in other words, I don't know how to edit my Screen name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 AM

Bob, I scrapped my original idea of Using the 18watt flush mounts. I didn't want to bore holes in the bumper this time around. Instead, I ordered a bracket that straddles the hitch reciever that has 2 "wings" on either side to mount a pod like fixture. Then I ordered a pair of 20 watt 3" floods to mount there.

Did you happen to wire an over ride switch with a diode? I'd really like t do that myself if I can find the correct diode value.

2015 GMC Canyon Quicksilver Metallic access can,3.6L SLT 2WD
HID's, tint, LED reverse and cargo lights, bed mat,tailgate extender, sill plates, aux led reverse lighting, Trifecta advantage tune, more to come.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beondwacko View Post
Bob, I scrapped my original idea of Using the 18watt flush mounts. I didn't want to bore holes in the bumper this time around. Instead, I ordered a bracket that straddles the hitch reciever that has 2 "wings" on either side to mount a pod like fixture. Then I ordered a pair of 20 watt 3" floods to mount there.

Did you happen to wire an over ride switch with a diode? I'd really like t do that myself if I can find the correct diode value.

If you can not find the correct diode you can always just use a relay.
savagebob likes this.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I have a couple lying around. You can have some if you need them. I have a GM part number for relay spike blockers that GM recommends on non protected relay coils. They are listed as clamping diodes. I think they are 3 watt rated. You can use 2 in parallel to up the current carrying capacity. I'll look up the part numbers an post them for anyone who needs one.

I will not wire any lights on the truck (except maybe temporarily) until I have completed the master plan. This will include a Feniex 4200 lighting controller and a Bluetooth module so I can control everything with the iPad. It is going to be slick, using some of the same components as team helotes (thanks for the posts and ideas) with a more elaborate control system. It is going to take a while.

I do not regret cutting out my rear bumper for the reverse lights. There may be 1 more set of lights mounted under them before I get the bumper repainted.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 09-14-2015 at 10:03 AM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Diodes I have used came from Mouser Electronics and are FMS 1N5822
GM has PN 12112422 which are only available in a 5 pack and are the most expensive, but easiest to justify to a service manager if they complain about your wiring tap into computer controlled lighting circuits.

Both of these diodes are rated at around 80 amp surge (16ms) and around 3 amps continuous forward current. They will be sufficient for any LED or factory style incandescent bulbs. I would not use them on headlight or fog light circuits unless you put 2 in parallel to handle the extra current.
team helotes likes this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 AM

I would have to use 2 in parallel being that the new lights are 20 watts each or about 3.5 amps combined. Thanks for the lead on model numbers.

2015 GMC Canyon Quicksilver Metallic access can,3.6L SLT 2WD
HID's, tint, LED reverse and cargo lights, bed mat,tailgate extender, sill plates, aux led reverse lighting, Trifecta advantage tune, more to come.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I would have to use 2 in parallel being that the new lights are 20 watts each or about 3.5 amps combined. Thanks for the lead on model numbers.
I would think these would handle that quite well. The radio Shack ones I have are 3.5 a and quite a bit smaller that the GM and Mouser diodes. Test them by putting them in partially heated shrink tube and see if they self shrink the rest of the way.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
I wanted the flush Rigids but I did not think the black would look good on my chrome bumper. I drilled and tapped 2 hole in the receiver and mounted them there. These are the cheap eBay ones. When they crap out I will replace with Rigids. I just pulled the power for mine off OD the trailer backup wire.

I also replaced my factory backup bulbs with red/white Feniex Cannons. They are set steady burn white for 1 more for back ups, steady burn red for extra brakes and r/w flashing for warning.

do you have any photos of these on at night and would you mind snapping a photo of where you mounted them exactly ?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
I have a couple lying around. You can have some if you need them. I have a GM part number for relay spike blockers that GM recommends on non protected relay coils. They are listed as clamping diodes. I think they are 3 watt rated. You can use 2 in parallel to up the current carrying capacity. I'll look up the part numbers an post them for anyone who needs one.

I will not wire any lights on the truck (except maybe temporarily) until I have completed the master plan. This will include a Feniex 4200 lighting controller and a Bluetooth module so I can control everything with the iPad. It is going to be slick, using some of the same components as team helotes (thanks for the posts and ideas) with a more elaborate control system. It is going to take a while.

I do not regret cutting out my rear bumper for the reverse lights. There may be 1 more set of lights mounted under them before I get the bumper repainted.

Up from the dead.

Did you ever make any progress on the lighting setup? I'd be interested to see the headway you've made.

I'm doing something similar, but with a Feniex 4200 mini, a Blue Sea Systems 10 pt bus bar, an OLS 10 pt fuse block, and six relays for lights. Lights thus far:
  • Front white 22" LED bar
  • Front amber 22" LED bar (same bar, dual colors)
  • Front amber 7" LED bars
  • Rear amber flush mount LEDs (the white circuit will be wired to reverse)
Eventually will also have some Phantom Sun LED cubes on Baja Designs hood mounts.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode