Backup Lights Installed - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Backup Lights Installed

Experimenting with a backup lighting solution for secondary roads, trail riding, and anything else my 2wd will endure.
Rigid has a new series SR-M small aux light that is available in a diffused, flood, and spot version. The diffused is listed as a back up light, so that is what I purchased.
Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 98001 SR-M Flush Mount Diffused Back-Up Light Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 98001 SR-M Flush Mount Diffused Back-Up Light Kit: Automotive

This is a complete kit with relay, harness, switch, stainless hardware, etc. and is really the best quality LED lighting on the market in my opinion. I do this kind of work for a municipal public safety dept and I have used just about all of the major lighting suppliers products. These lights are also available with other mounting brackets and configurations. The flush mounts do require that you create a cutout in the location you wish to mount them.

In the other extreme, I attempted to find a cheap, Chinese LED that would be useful, but likely not a long term performer. This is what I decided on.
http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Headlight-Waterproof-Dustproof-Shockproof/dp/B00GLLW3AM/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=173HBZDYR9CGGVS0KBRY&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_ http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Headlight-Waterproof-Dustproof-Shockproof/dp/B00GLLW3AM/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=173HBZDYR9CGGVS0KBRY&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

They are only 20 dollars for the pair so I did not expect much. Some of the nuts and bolts were not quite usable (really bad threads) so I could only mount 1 of the lights today until I go shop for some hardware. In a power up test in the shop they appeared to throw a decent light intensity and pattern. I chose to mount these in the bumper step pocket where I could just swivel them from a straight back aim to a 60 degree (to the side) point. Should make up for any shortcomings in pattern created by the placement of the Rigid lights in the bumper.

I will mount the left step pocket light when I find suitable hardware to replace the substandard stuff that was in the package. It will be a few weeks before I run power to the lights so I can't tell you how they perform on the vehicle. I may also add some silicone RTV to the cheap lights around the cable entry point just in case... I do like the versatility of this location because it allows you as much side coverage as you need. The bracket mount version of the same Rigid SR-M light might be a better fit in this location since the Signstek lights are a little long in that location. Functional, but some may not care for the look.

As you can see in the pics I slipped with the die grinder and scarred the paint on the right side. I did have it all covered with tape, but it broke through. That is ok, since I like the idea of having the bumper repainted for corrosion resistance anyway after all the cutting and raw edges exposed. You could just brush touch up the edges of the hole if you are careful with the cut.

If you decide to buy the 20 dollar lights, be sure to get the flood beam (or a diffused beam if available) The spot beam will not work well as a back up light.
TexazReece and Keveldinho like this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 11-19-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Garage
You must put a lotta miles on in reverse, looks good.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
You must put a lotta miles on in reverse, looks good.
Have about 20,000 lumens in the front (30" lightbar and headlights) so I don't want the rear to get short changed. Wish these were like 1970's cars where you could subtract mileage from the clock in reverse.
(I swear I ran into a vehicle that did that way back....)
matt2858 likes this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Garage
I wanted the flush Rigids but I did not think the black would look good on my chrome bumper. I drilled and tapped 2 hole in the receiver and mounted them there. These are the cheap eBay ones. When they crap out I will replace with Rigids. I just pulled the power for mine off of the trailer backup wire.

I also replaced my factory backup bulbs with red/white Feniex Cannons. They are set steady burn white for 1 more for back ups, steady burn red for extra brakes and r/w flashing for warning.

matt2858 likes this.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.

Last edited by team helotes; 05-14-2017 at 03:16 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 PM

A+ for effort, looks good. Personally. . A little overkill, I always got away with one good set that lit up the rear sides so I can see where my rear tires were heading. Wonder what type of image the rear camera will pick up.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
I wanted the flush Rigids but I did not think the black would look good on my chrome bumper. I drilled and tapped 2 hole in the receiver and mounted them there. These are the cheap eBay ones. When they crap out I will replace with Rigids. I just pulled the power for mine off OD the trailer backup wire.

I also replaced my factory backup bulbs with red/white Feniex Cannons. They are set steady burn white for 1 more for back ups, steady burn red for extra brakes and r/w flashing for warning.

Nice job. I just wanted to get the lights up a little higher. Do the Cannons mount through a 1" hole cut into the side of the factory light housings, or are they a direct bulb replacement? I might have to get some Canyon tail lights since the Colorado ones have a teenie tiny back up light window.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Garage
They are a 1" hole. I just drilled out the factory hole to 1" and installed them, no going back to factory bulbs now. They are super bright. I went with the 120s they shine all the light straight out the back and do not use the factory reflector.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.

Last edited by team helotes; 09-06-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 10:03 PM

Garage
If you are getting the bumper repainted take apart the Rigid and get the bezel painted to match. I did it on the ones in the front bumper of my Siverado and it looked better, but my bumper was blue.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
If you are getting the bumper repainted take apart the Rigid and get the bezel painted to match. I did it on the ones in the front bumper of my Siverado and it looked better, but my bumper was blue.
I was thinking of doing that. I might even try grinding off the Rigid logo and smoothing out the cast bezel. I just ordered 1 pair of Cannon 120 in red/white for the back with the tail brake backup feature. And another pair of Cannon 360 for fog lights in white/amber with same feature for those times when I need to stop in traffic to assist a dead vehicle. Have a work Silverado 2500 HD but still have been called out after hours and used my truck.

I am also going to wire all 4 reverse lights through a flasher to add to the rear warning lights. Guess I need to go price some Canyon tail light housings.

I am going to start using Feniex products more often for our builds. We have been using Whelen exclusively, but I am not satisfied with a few of their products. I like the Feniex 4200 control system for major projects. They are a very innovative company.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Garage
Looks great!

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I wanted the flush Rigids but I did not think the black would look good on my chrome bumper. I drilled and tapped 2 hole in the receiver and mounted them there. These are the cheap eBay ones. When they crap out I will replace with Rigids. I just pulled the power for mine off OD the trailer backup wire.

A question regarding replacing the "original" backup bulbs. I feel that the light amount, when in reversed, is very low. I'm sure it's my 67 year old eyes but I do have trouble seeing the driveway when backing up. The rear view camera (the stock camera on my WT on the small 4" screen) is not very clear either. I know that the 2005 Canyon I had seemed to be a lot easier to see just using the two outside mirrors backing into the small area that I park my Colorado. I see that many people have replaced lights with LED but that also means some wiring changes and I'm lost when it comes to "stuff" like that. Are you aware of any backup bulbs that are brighter and I could just remove the old ones and replace with the brighter ones. Thanks for your help

Now the proud owner of a 2015 Colorado WT--- so in other words, I don't know how to edit my Screen name
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM

Garage
Look at this thread.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/130-d...all-video.html

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon 2005 Owner View Post
A question regarding replacing the "original" backup bulbs. I feel that the light amount, when in reversed, is very low. I'm sure it's my 67 year old eyes but I do have trouble seeing the driveway when backing up. The rear view camera (the stock camera on my WT on the small 4" screen) is not very clear either. I know that the 2005 Canyon I had seemed to be a lot easier to see just using the two outside mirrors backing into the small area that I park my Colorado. I see that many people have replaced lights with LED but that also means some wiring changes and I'm lost when it comes to "stuff" like that. Are you aware of any backup bulbs that are brighter and I could just remove the old ones and replace with the brighter ones. Thanks for your help
I have the MYLINK large screen, and I find my Canyon backup lights work great with the camera. The interesting thing I have see is going from outside, backing into the garage, the camera seems to hesitate a second before adjusting to the light differential. In daylight, it has to adjust in one direction, at night, my garage door opener puts out a fair amount of light, so it is actually trying to adjust to an increase in light from the door opener and the reflection off the white walls of my garage.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
LEDs are straight replacements. Since you do not need resistors, just find some quality 921 LED bulbs and you're good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (148.3 KB, 106 views)

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Being old school, I still use my mirrors thru tinted windows, and changed mine out to high output LED's. It is easy, as you don't need any resistors or capacitor stuff to make work. But I will tell you that taking out the lenses the first time, it truly sounds like you broke them when those clips release.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks all

Good to know that it isn't the big deal that I was thinking it was - rewiring and such.

(1 side question - the video said to check for polarity...with a gauge?)

Now the proud owner of a 2015 Colorado WT--- so in other words, I don't know how to edit my Screen name
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Thanks all

Good to know that it isn't the big deal that I was thinking it was - rewiring and such.

(1 side question - the video said to check for polarity...with a gauge?)
when it comes to plug and play LED bulbs, plug the LED bulb in, and if it doesn't work, take it out, flip it 180 degrees and plug in again. No gauge needed.

CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Red painted calipers
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
when it comes to plug and play LED bulbs, plug the LED bulb in, and if it doesn't work, take it out, flip it 180 degrees and plug in again. No gauge needed.
ahhhh guessing no markings ( + / - ) to hint which way....

Going to be a bit tough to put in reverse (manual shifter on my truck) and see if they come on when you are the only one around lol

(will have to wait till dark to give it a try)

late edit... Wait.... Could I keep the engine off and just put it in reverse and see it lights up?

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
ahhhh guessing no markings ( + / - ) to hint which way....

Going to be a bit tough to put in reverse (manual shifter on my truck) and see if they come on when you are the only one around lol

(will have to wait till dark to give it a try)

late edit... Wait.... Could I keep the engine off and just put it in reverse and see it lights up?
yes you can.

CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Red painted calipers
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Garage
I'm going to install tailgate LEDs. 5 way that includes back up. Gonna have to order because they only keep the 60" in stock for FS PU.. I will post pix in my garage when install them.

Luvin' my 2016 Colorado.
HiHo HiHo its off to work I go.

Muffler Tip, Tinted Windows
Window Deflectors, 3M Defender
IronCross nerf bars, Rough Country level/lift, MT MTZ P3, Bakflip tonneau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode