Colorado / Canyon factory sport bar light switch. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Colorado / Canyon factory sport bar light switch.

In case anyone is interested in the factory light switch off the Trail Boss package, I have attached a picture of it. It incorporates the fog and the sport bar light nicely into switch. I imagine you could use this switch to hook up any additional lights ie a front light bar. Pretty cool how they split it into two. The switch makes everything look clean.

GM# 23415425 Harness
GM# 23458495 Switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light Switch.jpg (230.2 KB, 781 views)

Last edited by feeltheteal; 02-06-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 PM

Nice....thanks
ENYPDE and drwatson like this.

2015 Colorado
2wd Z71 Crew Cab

My 1965 Mustang
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Garage
Thank you! I've been looking for these to maybe figure out how to hook up a light bar into versus drilling for new switches.

2015 Red Hot Colorado Z71 2WD Crew Cab
Purchased 8/4/2015
Mods: Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon Projector Conversion, Morimoto D2S 35W 6500K HID Lows,
Morimoto XB LED Fogs, Black LT Wheels, Anzo LED Tail Lamps, OEM Black Bowties, Air Dam Delete,
Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 PM

Garage
Did you actually install one?

I think the question a lot of us have is whether or not it needs bcm programming and whether or not the dealer would do it for us. At least for us 2015 guys.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs, Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Garage
You can't wire lights or even just a relay to that switch. It is a digital (voltage not necessarily 12v) input for the BCM. Each output has a resistor to drop the voltage to different levels.
DasGoob likes this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 AM

I've been researching the sports bar on this website, but haven't found a clear answer.

The Chevrolet website indicates the sports bar is only compatible with 2016 and newer Colorado models.

What's the difference between the 2015 and 2016, that makes this so?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 PM

Garage
I kinda looked in it. You can buy the sport bar lights. They come with the lights, harness, and switch, depending on if you have factory fogs or not. There is no mention of modules needed. The new switch has 8 pins on the back. I'd be curious to see if they populated existing pins or added. I am thinking they are using existing pins. If that's the case you should be able to use the new pins to send power to any led lights. Seeing the harness that comes with the lights would tell the story. It's a shame it's 995.00 just to get a look. I can't see to find just the harness with the part # 23415425

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2016 Cyber Grey Colorado Z71, 4x4, CCSB, Bose, nav, trailer package

BDS 5.5" lift, 20% tint, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18, Fuel 18x9 Recoils, 5" running boards, K&N CAI, Air dam trimdown to aprox 2" lip, Weatherguard black saddlebox, GM floor liners front and back. LineX

HID conversions, interior LED swap, cargo, reverse, lic plate, fog lights, and switch-back LED's, Rough Country LED bar, toolbox lights, bed rail LEDs, Canyon leather armrest swap
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbz View Post
I kinda looked in it. You can buy the sport bar lights. They come with the lights, harness, and switch, depending on if you have factory fogs or not. There is no mention of modules needed. The new switch has 8 pins on the back. I'd be curious to see if they populated existing pins or added. I am thinking they are using existing pins. If that's the case you should be able to use the new pins to send power to any led lights. Seeing the harness that comes with the lights would tell the story. It's a shame it's 995.00 just to get a look. I can't see to find just the harness with the part # 23415425

I'll try to clarify why you can't simply use a "switch" that is designed as a computer module input device. If the switch contains a resistor circuit, it will send a different voltage value to the module for each button or twist to indicate what light is requested by the operator. This means that voltages out of the switch will be different for each function. Some functions will use the same wire with a different voltage indicating the different functions to the module. This is a digital output, not a 12v power output that could be used to directly power a LED cluster or even a 12v relay coil. This is likely why the sports bar lights are for the 2016 vehicles only. It is possible that the BCM already has the necessary hardware and wiring to allow this dual switch to function after proper configuration. The "module" you are looking for is the BCM which is already in the truck.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 02-09-2016 at 12:10 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:10 AM

Garage
I guess I got a couple of threads confused. At one point I thought someone in this thread said you would need to buy the specific module for this to work. What I was getting at was the parts package which has everything you need for 995.00 did not have a module listed so simply buying the switch and harness would work if you were powering different LED than the sport bar lights. (2016, I cant speculate on 2015 since Chevy doesn't list it). I was trying to clarify the ability to use the switch for an aftermarket light.

And I guess I should have been more specific that I wasn't saying the pin outs provide 12v, but provide the signal to the module to power the lights, and thats why the harness is so important. I understand the can-bus system to a degree, I just don't convey it well...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbz View Post
I guess I got a couple of threads confused. At one point I thought someone in this thread said you would need to buy the specific module for this to work. What I was getting at was the parts package which has everything you need for 995.00 did not have a module listed so simply buying the switch and harness would work if you were powering different LED than the sport bar lights. (2016, I cant speculate on 2015 since Chevy doesn't list it). I was trying to clarify the ability to use the switch for an aftermarket light.

And I guess I should have been more specific that I wasn't saying the pin outs provide 12v, but provide the signal to the module to power the lights, and thats why the harness is so important. I understand the can-bus system to a degree, I just don't convey it well...
One of the items with the kit is a code that the dealer will use online with their programming operation to activate that option. With anything less than the full factory lighting kit, you will not have the code to activate that feature and the switch will not function as expected.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:05 AM

Garage
Now that's not playing fair!

BDS 5.5" lift, 20% tint, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18, Fuel 18x9 Recoils, 5" running boards, K&N CAI, Air dam trimdown to aprox 2" lip, Weatherguard black saddlebox, GM floor liners front and back. LineX

HID conversions, interior LED swap, cargo, reverse, lic plate, fog lights, and switch-back LED's, Rough Country LED bar, toolbox lights, bed rail LEDs, Canyon leather armrest swap
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 02:02 PM

I like the way they split the switch. Although I hate the location of the switch, I hit my knee on it getting out of truck once in a while.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM

I have the sports bar on my Trail Boss. It appears that the electronics clip into the accessory rear access jack near the left rear tail light that others use for accessory truck bed lights.
I suppose is is to allow for the brake light to work with the new bar.

I have done an online search to see what is done to install the bar into the electrical system, but have been unable to find any PDF file.

From my truck, it appears they use the auxiliary trunk bed light input near the rear tail light to gain power to the bar. However, two wire are not integrated to allow it to work as a brake light. The bar does block the existing brake light, so the new one is used.

Also, the truck bed lights work, but are partially blocked by the bar.

GM is using the new auxiliary access portal on the 2015 and 2016 to power the new brake light. It could be easily wired into existing circuitry. The coding is to prevent a computer fault with the new LEDs.

I would love it if someone could post the official install PDF for the bar.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 AM

Garage
There is a 25 page PDF for installing the lights, relay and switch. My local parts guy emailed me the directions. I can email them to people if you want. teamhelotes at satx.rr.com
wtraenkl, drwatson and jdfcustom like this.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 AM

Thanks, I e-mailed you a request for the PDF file. It might be nice if it could be posted as a file in this forum. I'm not certain if that violates any copy write or confidential laws. I am most curious as to the hot wire pick up and the third brake light wiring.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the file. Very interesting.
Anyone interested in doing this needs to read the file. It requires a lot of wiring and a flash update the BCM. Page 22 notes that the BCM calibration may not be stored in the BCM. It requires a calibration download. This requires a Serial Number and Authorization code to authorize the download.

Seems to me it is a dealer option. I don't understand how a private installation would get the flash update to the Body Control Module, (BCM).

As an additional request, does anyone have the PDF installation for the actual sports bar?I am curious how they route the third brake light.

Last edited by MGS9500; 02-10-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:54 PM

Garage
I'm not crazy about the sport bar or the over the cab position of the off road lights. But I do like the clean look of the combo light switch. So after reading the PDF, thanks T.H., and the up fitter electrical manual, it appears to use the combo switch, you will need to run two extra wires to the BCM that will energize a relay and the led indicator in the switch once the lights come on. So I would think that the light bar i'm planning to install in my grill could be powered by this set up just like the OEM off-road lights. Soon as I can start my install, i'll post some pics. Appreciate anyone with experience wiring in the combo switch w/ Fog and Off-Road lights to chime in if I'm missing something. Thanks!
skua, kevbz and yaryarrr like this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWater-Z71 View Post
I'm not crazy about the sport bar or the over the cab position of the off road lights. But I do like the clean look of the combo light switch. So after reading the PDF, thanks T.H., and the up fitter electrical manual, it appears to use the combo switch, you will need to run two extra wires to the BCM that will energize a relay and the led indicator in the switch once the lights come on. So I would think that the light bar i'm planning to install in my grill could be powered by this set up just like the OEM off-road lights. Soon as I can start my install, i'll post some pics. Appreciate anyone with experience wiring in the combo switch w/ Fog and Off-Road lights to chime in if I'm missing something. Thanks!
This is exactly what I want to do. Have a factory switch for lights, but have them operate a front grill 30" bar. I don't plan on spending 995.00 to get the light bar kit just to get a switch, harness and two OEM sport bar lights I am not going to use.

I'll be curious to see if it can work this way

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Garage
If you have a 2015, you cannot use the factory switch. The BCM will NOT accept the program. I have the factory parts, and we had to hard wire the lights.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (14k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM

I had The Sport bar installed on my 2015 Colorado z71(trail boss package). They had wire a seperate switch as the replacement from Chevy didnt work. The guy said it was the bcm. For some reason i read somewhere else. That the 2015 canyons are able to accept the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode