Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

GM reporting data to others

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  saytanicmechanic 
#1 ·
I had wrote a rant on here last year about onstar. I am in security field and knew they sold this data and saw reports on forums of people trying to get it shut off. Followed their lead and finally got the onstar killed. Red LED on rearview is the way to check they say. mine is off. well I got a letter in the mail yesterday. From StateFarm. They say that GM reported I drove too many miles last year (1200ish) to get the local employment discount. My truck was new and did not go in for service yet to any place at all so it was not a dealer check and report. So the only place they could have got that info is from Onstar. So the truck has been in the shop since Jan and is on lemon law buyback now. Lawyer says I should get the actual check in a week or so. We are on the second round of negotiations with GM. I am hoping the Jeeps do not have sat link like GM does. I am going to have to unplug the sat antenna next time around if they do. I hate companies selling your data without asking.

#2 ·
While I agree with you in your complaints, Big Brother is in every aspect of life and if they don't get your info one way, they will just get it another. Not sure I would stand my ground and get rid of my truck just because of the Onstar tracking as I am quite good at ignoring random phone calls and emails, but to each their own.

#3 ·
What about your vehicle registration? I know in PA they want to know the odometer reading when you register your vehicle every year.

#6 · (Edited)
I really didn't want to buy a GM because of this but, no other company makes a truck like this.. I guess I will be doing an antenna removal to disable the creepy Onstar system. Oh yeah and State Farm, doesn't surprise me a bit.

#7 ·
I agree I hate the intrusion, but where do you live? Not sure we have a local employment discount here in Texas. I know they used to ask how many miles you drive to work and from that they estimated the miles per year. I suspect State Farm was only off about 9k for me last year.

#8 ·
According to Onstar privacy policy you would have given them permission to pass the information to your insurance company https://www2.onstar.com/web/portal/privacy?g=1

"Other parties you ask us to share this information with, to provide you with the services you have specifically requested or subscribed to, like your insurance provider if you choose to participate in a discount based program based on your Driving Information (e.g., a safe driver program);"

If you did not do this, then you should contact your lawyer and consider filing charges against Onstar for violation of both federal and local privacy laws. Although I suspect that at some point you didn't read fine print somewhere and thus allowed this information to be shared to participate in your insurance program.

#10 ·
My truck buy back had nothing to do with this problem.
The issue with truck is I went to start it one morning after 0 issues and then it would not start. Took it to the dealership in January and it never came back.
They cannot fix what ever is causing the short and the part they say they need to fix it (HSM module) is on backorder for months for the 2015s. So I been driving a 2016 loaner from the dealership for 5 months. They(Dealer) called asking how many miles I put on the loaner yesterday. I think they are hoping I will just take buy out and get one of those new diesels. I think I am going to try a jeep wrangler. I bought the pickup to take the dirt bike to track on weekends so I will have to get a little trailer for that. But they already offer a supercharger and alpine in dash for the 2012-new wranglers. that's probably where I will go once I finally get the check.

#16 ·
Yet another reason I am happy I bought a Base model and did my own upgrades. NO Onstar ! = No body in my business and if I chuck the phone, poof!off the grid.

#17 ·
I would not look at a Chrysler / Jeep product if you want it to stay out of the shop. They are in the bottom 5 for least reliable and Jeep has some of the absolute worst service centers and experience you can imagine. This is anecdotal from a number of family and friends who have had / have them.

Reactions: savagebob
#18 ·
I have a 2009 Wrangler with 126k miles on it. A few recalls, issues with hood flutter corrected with aftermarket rubber hold downs, a check engine light for O2 sensor, and most recent transmission failed. Luckily it was covered by lifetime warranty on powertrain.

Until the transmission failed I would have argued a great vehicle.

Reactions: plumcrazy
#20 ·
I have a 2011 Jeep wrangler unlimited with 200,000 on the clock. Other than typical wear items, I have had NO issues with it at all. I have lots of goodies added. I am looking at trading it on a new z71 4 door short box diesel. The range from that truck is awesome for what we do in the backcountry. Very nice truck.

#21 ·
Is that miles or kilometers? Not trying to be funny, I'm just curious since if that's miles it's even more than what I put on my vehicles, and I thought I drove a lot! :D

Either way I can believe you've had no issues with your Jeep. Although I have known a few people that have had issues with their jeeps (my own dad being one of them), I know plenty of people that have had zero problems too. Same thing with GM products. My parents used to only buy GM/Chrysler/Ford cars and although they've had their share of car problems, they've also had good luck with them too.

#22 ·
2016 US Vehicle Dependability Study VDS | J.D. Power - 5th from the bottom

2015 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power - 3rd from the bottom

2014 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) | J.D. Power - 4th from the bottom

2013 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) | J.D. Power - 4th from the bottom

You're going to get lucky with any auto maker, and even those at the top of the list sell lemons. But it's a numbers game. And Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep clearly has not had a stellar track record for reliability

#23 ·
I know we are going way off topic here, but here are a few excerpts from the 2016 report cited above:

Problems with technology continue to affect vehicle reliability according to the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. The number of problems with infotainment, navigation and in-vehicle communication systems—collectively known as audio, communication, entertainment and navigation or ACEN—has increased and now accounts for 20% of all customer-reported problems in the study. ACEN is now the most problematic area on most vehicles and is the cause of the industry’s 3% year-over-year decline in vehicle dependability. - See more at: 2016 US Vehicle Dependability Study VDS | J.D. Power

The problems most often reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition systems misinterpreting commands. Navigation system difficult to use and navigation system inaccurate are also among the 10 most frequently reported problems.

Key Study Findings

The overall industry average is 152 PP100 this year, compared with 147 PP100 last year.
Among owners who experienced a Bluetooth pairing/connectivity problem, 53% said the vehicle didn’t find/recognize their mobile phone/device.
Among owners who indicate having experienced a voice recognition problem, 67% say the problem was related to the system not recognizing/misinterpreting verbal commands.
The number of engine/transmission problems decreases to 24 PP100 in 2016 from 26 PP100 in 2015.
Seven of the top 10 problems are design-related. Design-related problems account for 39% of problems reported in the study (60 PP100), a 2-percentage-point increase from 2015.

And the one I really love:

Building Trust in Technology

While automakers, suppliers and even the U.S. government are enthusiastically moving toward putting fully autonomous vehicles on the roads, consumers need to have confidence in the technologies currently in vehicles before they will be willing to take their hands off the wheel of self-driving cars.

“If you think about the technology problems from the study in the context of conversations around autonomous vehicles, the industry clearly has more work to do to secure the trust of consumers,” said Stephens. “Right now, if consumers can’t rely on their vehicle to connect to their smartphone, or have faith that their navigation system will route them to their destination, they’re certainly not yet ready to trust that autonomous technology will keep their vehicle out of the ditch.

Comment from a grandchild to me first time the Lane Departure warning went off: "Keep it on the road Pepe', not in the ditch."

My overall analysis of the reliability report: Biggest problems do not impact our ability to get from point A to point B, but are in "luxury" items that were not even in most cars 10 years ago.

Thanks for the link!

#24 ·
Yeah people are definitely going to start complaining about the UX in their vehicle tech now that we are generally spoiled by solid experiences with devices like phones that we use every day. As vehicles get more electronic, problems or perceived problems with these systems are definitely going to weigh heavily on reliability...as they should. They are now an integral part of the vehicle.

It can't be a coincidence, but I passed a Jeep Commander that put on his flashers on the highway in front of me this morning and broke down :p

Reactions: CaryBosse
#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.