Is Navigation Worth the $$$ ??? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM

I'm bowing out so it doesn't become an argument of how I'm too stupid to use my devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Garage
Personally I don't care for the vehicle Nav systems because they generally require you to go to the dealer for updates, which generally costs you money, and they are frequently not correct. My wife's Durango is loaded, and even new off the lot with the "latest" version of their maps it was inaccurate. As far as Android connect, that's only as good as your phone, your apps, and your ability to make that little process work for you. Trailbossblue is correct that you can GPS without cell service IF you have location services enabled, and have a companion mapping app installed on your phone with downloaded maps for the area you are in. I used this method in Afghanistan all the time to get around in cities using less than perfect maps due to lack of availability. My personal advise is to get a good large screen Garmin, pay for the life time updates and never worry about what might be wrong in the truck Nav, or having to use your phone as your navigation tool and loaded with maps as well. I have a 7 inch Garmin, take it out maybe once a month to check for updates and it's never failed me. Has bluetooth, voice command, takes an SD card, plays music if I want and runs off a rechargable battery as well as USB. Just my 2 cents...take it or leave it.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbz View Post
You forgot "in my opinion" in your post...

goes a long way in not sounding like a
Its not an opinion, its a fact.

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 11:20 PM

I guess it depends on where you drive, what kind of service you have on your phone, and your habits.

If you have a decent phone that has good data coverage and/or you have the foresight to download the map of an area you're going to be in, you can get in a situation where you can't use the map apps in your phone because of no coverage. It happened to me last year in the middle of the Hocking Hills in Ohio.

While it's not going to be as up to date as Google Maps, Waze, etc., the mapping system in your vehicle will always work since it doesn't rely on calling the mother ship to work. You can update the mapping software in your truck on your own but it's not free. GM | Home | HERE

For me I purposely wanted to have the built-in NAV as more of a backup/quick option, especially after the issues I had with cellphone based NAV apps. Sometimes it's just easier and quicker to just bring up the NAV and enter in an address than to whip out my phone.
Janster likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 in Copper Red Metallic
Hellwig rear swaybar/Pop N Lock for the tailgate/Revolver X2 tonneau cover/Bed Lighting/Extra high amperage USB charging ports/GM Bed Mat/Tailgate brake & backup lighting/Fumoto valve/Line-X
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 AM

Been hunting in many of the Rocky Mountain states. That's why I have a couple Garmin's. One for the car and one for hiking about. Extra batteries for the Garmin 60CSX along with a compass.
No way would I rely on a phone when hunting out there.
saytanicmechanic likes this.

2015 Silver Canyon SLT
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM

Garage
I like th garmin nuvi 689 that i have. Voice comand works well, can find anything (dunkin donuts, liquor store, gas station, etc). Free map updates, free traffic, traffic works pretty good ( just used it on my 1300 mile trip and it alerted me and detoured me around all sorts of stuff). all for under 300 bucks. Adds 6 inch of screen so it leaves your truck screen free. I have the gm navigation in my wifes car, came with it bought off the lot. Its ok no traffic ( i will not add another monthly bill even as little as it may be). Updates cost about 170 bucks i believe. You can buy a lower end garmin for less than that with lifetime updates and traffic. I ordered the bose no gps on the truck. Cannot justify 500 bucks for what you do not get when garmin gives you much more for 270 bucks. Thats my opinion the choice is yours
rdderrick likes this.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Garage
Forgot to mention the garmin uses no data and works everywhere no blackout areas. I do use google maps sometimes just to check local city traffic it is in more real time but on tne hiway the traffic is pretty good on the garmin.
Esoxchaser likes this.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 05-30-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: removed cursing
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
You have location services disabled. Which is NOT part of cell services. or you did not properly download the map. It works for me, every time, no issues.
With that being said.... Just a suggestion - Why don't you do a 'write-up' with photos & screen shots and explanations of exactly what you are doing and how you do it.

Instead of arguing about it - we could have some useful information to help members who need this kind of 'flawless' functionality.

And let's not forget - there are differences between Apple & Android. So - make sure you explain that you are an Android user in your write-up.
rdderrick likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborc View Post
Forgot to mention the garmin uses no data and works everywhere no blackout areas. I do use google maps sometimes just to check local city traffic it is in more real time but on tne hiway the traffic is pretty good on the garmin.
No swearing please.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
No swearing please.
Sorry, didn't think that was a bad word
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
So when I load my offline Google map then attempt to go to Satellite view and it says "Satellite is not available offline", what is the solution for that? Look at the bottom of my screen capture.

I am not over dramatizing anything. The OP wants a reliable solution to navigate forest roads which often times are in mountains with no coverage. I LIVE in the mountains and experience this first hand on my dirt bike and mountain bike rides. The areas I am in do not have a 'road' mapped on them, and satellite imagery shows at least where the dirt kinda goes. Without a satellite image I have no idea with of the "three right turns" I passed on the trail are the one that goes where I want it.

The satellite image is displayed, however it's will NOT refresh with clarity when zooming in. It becomes like an image where it loses resolution as it's zoomed in on.
This saved map was downloaded a week ago when I went on a mountain bike ride. The main arteries show on the map but any off shoots are not shown, however the satellite image will show the dirt road where it peels off.

So if you are able to navigate your way using information such as in the image attached, then I truly am over dramatizing the inability to use a cell phone without service through the mountains.

If you don't like me, I don't really care. But when I post information that I have experience with, it's truthful and not just popping off to listen to myself talk.
When I download offline maps on Google Maps, it doesn't give me detailed data in satellite view, only the map view. I think I remember that it will give you the terrain view though...

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
When I download offline maps on Google Maps, it doesn't give me detailed data in satellite view, only the map view. I think I remember that it will give you the terrain view though...
Its in your settings or if you are on that view when you download.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
Its in your settings or if you are on that view when you download.
Thanks for that tip. I just downloaded terrain maps for a hike I'm going on next weekend..

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 PM

If you are going on hiking trails that are common mountain bike trails look into the APPS MTBProject and TrailForks. Both are viewable online, but the app downloads maps and are there on your device and stay live to your GPS location.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdderrick View Post
Personally I don't care for the vehicle Nav systems because they generally require you to go to the dealer for updates, which generally costs you money, and they are frequently not correct. My wife's Durango is loaded, and even new off the lot with the "latest" version of their maps it was inaccurate. As far as Android connect, that's only as good as your phone, your apps, and your ability to make that little process work for you. Trailbossblue is correct that you can GPS without cell service IF you have location services enabled, and have a companion mapping app installed on your phone with downloaded maps for the area you are in. I used this method in Afghanistan all the time to get around in cities using less than perfect maps due to lack of availability. My personal advise is to get a good large screen Garmin, pay for the life time updates and never worry about what might be wrong in the truck Nav, or having to use your phone as your navigation tool and loaded with maps as well. I have a 7 inch Garmin, take it out maybe once a month to check for updates and it's never failed me. Has bluetooth, voice command, takes an SD card, plays music if I want and runs off a rechargable battery as well as USB. Just my 2 cents...take it or leave it.
What is the model # of your Garmin, thanks?
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 PM

It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I do have it. For what it costs versus a few years ago when most were well over $1k, I don't think it's a bad upgrade. I know sometimes my cell phone reception in rural areas is less than great, and that can be an issue with using navigation on a phone unless you have something like Navigon that physically downloads the maps. I do use my phone when I ride if I need navigation. If someone has a data limit that can be an issue to consider as well.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdderrick View Post
My '12 F150 was updated by the owner(YOU) downloading updates from Ford's website, and uploading it via an SD card into your nav unit.
Considering these trucks have internet connections and cell service(Onstar) I wouldn't be surprised if they update automatically.
HOWEVER, Chevy made sure I created an account on their My Link site(IIRC)< as well as downloading a couple apps to my phone, so maybe you're responsible to update info.
Still leaves out the dealer however.
Now, having said all that, I agree. My last vehicle was a JKU sans-nav, and I didn't miss it one bit. My phone's nav was WAY more accurate than the Ford nav, and I don't use the Nav in my COlorado either. I use my phone's nav again, but this time run it to the in-dash screen via Apple Car Play

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:15 PM

Garage
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Yes, I was in the Army.

Mike

Gilbert, AZ
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Hybrid
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw5099 View Post
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Yes, I was in the Army.

Mike
Better have a (topo)map, lensatic compass, Ranger beads, and the TRAINING to use them, for when your electronic navigational aids FAIL, and of course for when you find out your map was copied from 10-y/o tourist pamphlet .
So was I

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:56 PM

Garage
@yokev in the mean time use your nav. Have the knowledge, use the tools that make your life easy. You sound more like a marine, always wearing the badge of doing things the hard way and wanting everyone else to suffer along for the ride...hah! No offense marines!

Gilbert, AZ
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode