Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Is Navigation Worth the $$$ ???

10K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  Just1Gary 
#1 ·
OK, I've spent the past four weeks researching the Chevy Colorado, and I'm about to pull the trigger. There is one expensive option, however, that I need some help with...navigation.

Why should I spend money for an fixed, onboard navigation system, when there are so many portable GPS units available for less? What data base does the system use? How about the datum? How often is this data base updated? Are US Forest Service roads included? (This is important.) How would you rate the user interface? Easy to use? Not so much? What do you think about the display? Is it possible to display map information generated from a cell phone?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Cheers

#10 · (Edited)
Precisely why I ordered the Nav option. Spend too much time two tracking to lose a kid in a maze of National Forest trails. Spend too much time driving around Detroit calling on customers at job sites. Half the residential street signs are gone and a separate GPS is just another thing to lock up when parking. The Satellite link, large screen and built in system are very desirable for me.

#5 ·
I think it is worth it. I use it all the time as a Realtor. I hate cords hanging down from add on devices and the little phone screen is a joke by comparison plus, it's true, your phone doesn't always have coverage. Also, i don't have to get it out of the glove box, hook it all up to use it, then put it all away when I'm done. I don't mind paying for the updates periodically. It has never let me down and works great ... in my opinion.

#6 ·
On a 2015, no. Mine came with it, I've used it maybe a handful of times, and I know at least once it tried to take me on a much longer route. Google maps is more accurate, has traffic and is easier to use. Only advantage is having it on the screen, but I find the interface difficult to use, and it won't let you use it while in drive unless you have a passenger

On a 2016, definitely no. Since you have apple car play /android auto, you can just project g maps into the screen.

#22 ·
On a 2016, definitely no. Since you have apple car play /android auto, you can just project g maps into the screen.
Are you sure Apple play will project Google Maps? I thought it would only do Maps (the Apple app).

I have OEM Nav cuz the wife wanted it. While in the "Lower 48", I used it along with my Garmin Nuvi and Google Maps on my iPhone. The OEM Nav has traffic and weather if you have that XM service. That was actually kind of nice, though I did not renew my XM service up north. The Garmin can display data that Google Maps can't, specifically elevation. However, for just busting around town I prefer Google Maps for ease of use and making changes along the route. They all displayed traffic data with varying degrees of accuracy.

#7 ·
For around $495, why not have a built in system. Saying that, if I was to buy another Canyon, it would not be a deal breaker if it didn't have it but had all the other options I wanted. If I was going to order one to be built, I would add it last if the payments would still be where I wanted them.

#8 ·
My guess is when people choose in dash GPS it comes down to 2 reasons.
1. You use it a lot like everyday.
2. You might not use it a lot but hate the power cord running down to the cigarette lighter socket.
I just got a Garmin with free lifetime updates. I only really use GPS on long trips.
IIRC it was around $160 after taxes.
While the cord can be an annoyance versus having in dash it isn't that big a problem to me for the trips.
I think it was this one from Best Buy with the 6 inch screen. I liked the larger screen as its a bit nicer to read.
Garmin nüvi 65LM - 6" - Lifetime Map Updates - Portable GPS Black 010-01211-01 - Best Buy

#9 ·
I can't say I'm *up to date* on what Garmin has to offer - but I do own 2 handhelds (do hiking & geocaching) and I actually own a Nuvi that I used in my previous truck (that didn't have Nav).

The Nuvi was always nice when I used it in the previous truck. But - you gotta mount it somewhere, have all the power cables dangling everywhere, and Garmin's (most all I've experienced) had weird issues with the firmware - locking up, battery life was great when new but often needed charged constantly. If you forgot to charge it - you were screwed. You'd have to perform a miracle (soft/hard resets) to get it to come back. The nice thing with the Nuvi - you could upload geocaches and they'd pop up on the screen as you drove.

Handheld units use AA batteries, so as long as you carried spares...you were fine. Again - Garmin's were weird with firmware and locking up. As you already know....you can upload all sorts of maps & trails & pocket queries (geocaching), etc.

Nav in the truck? Is it worth it? I think so.....I have it. Fullsize screen. You don't have to worry about battery life. YOu don't have any cables or mounts hanging. Map updates? I don't consider that a 'necessity' to have the most up to date maps. There's really not much that changes in the world of streets & highways that you can't figure it out once you get there. Common Sense..... It'll still get you there. I've experienced plenty of Nav systems in my husbands cars - and this is my first Nav in my own vehicle. The GM Nav is a bit clunky and I'm still learning how to use it.

GM Navigation will never need cell phone coverage and if you go indoors (parking garage), it won't lose satellite signal. :)

#17 ·
GM Navigation will never need cell phone coverage and if you go indoors (parking garage), it won't lose satellite signal. :)
If you need GPS Nav indoors (parking garage) is pretty bad. Sorry, could not resist...

Now days Cell Coverage is pretty decent; heck, I got a signal in Cozumel :wink2:

The advantage with Android Auto is the real traffic report. That information is obtained though so many Android phones. When drving in Houston, that info was super handy and always picked up the quickest route.

#12 ·
If you are getting a 2016 and have a cell phone, Its a waste of money Between Apple car play and android auto.. Cell phones GPS uses the same services as GPS device. THe only thing the Cell phone needs internet for is to update maps/ routes. If have 1 state you travel all the time, google lets you SAVE that area to your phone and then internet is NEVER needed for GPS.

#18 ·
I'm Garmin guy, my main advantage is I program some of my routes at home instead of in the truck. Even Garmin has trouble finding some streets around here because of the French English for street names.
As far as wires, I have it mounted in front of the useless cubby hole, plugged into the usb port with a power only cable. Maybe 6" long. Even with the GPS mounted so low, I always get plenty of satellites.

#19 ·
You will NOT have guaranteed map coverage if your cell signal is not where you are. If you download to your phone you get limited map data when 'offline'. I've tried using maps and web serives on mountain bike rides and dirt bike rides and cannot get service all the time and the map will not load. If I have loaded offline maps, it's only good for roads. IF the forest service road is not mapped by Google it may not show on the downloaded map. And you can't load satellite images.

And that only works if you think ahead of the area you plan to travel.

I have GPS and no cell service (my Strava records the route fine), however if I try reading a map it's not gonna happen.

One fail safe method, however, is the good old paper map. Plus the paper maps work when you drop your phone on a rock or in the river.

#20 · (Edited)
Dude you are full of it. I have traveled through several states with ALL Cell service disabled. Downloaded maps. and location services it know where you are. The offline maps are as good and complete as any Online map. If the road is not on google, Its sure as anything not going to be on the GM Nav system, which is what this topic is about.

You just like to over dramatize things. Some things never change.

There are a thousand apps that can map your route, without Cell service.

#26 ·
You must have the XM subscription for real-time traffic info though. Even then, the real-time info is pathetic compared to Waze. I had Navigation in my '15 and NEVER used it once I realized how bad it was. I used Waze on my phone instead. When I ordered the Duramax, I specifically left Nav out of the build, especially knowing Android Auto was coming. Now that I have the AA update, I can confirm that the Google Navigation is much, much better than the built-in Nav. AA just announced that Waze is coming in the next update. That will make the system ideal!!! Can't wait!

#23 ·
Apple CarPlay only projects Apple's Map app. A big 'fail' IMHO is lack of support for Waze.

IMHO, the only reason to get a Nav is if you travel into areas with poor cell coverage (In my experience Waze and Apple Maps do not work when out of cellular data coverage.

#24 ·
Don't think it's worth it with the android auto / apple stuff... though I must admit I am using AA and have no idea about the apple version.

Having said that - I still would have paid $500 for it if it was a integrated Garmin system like Kenwood decks or FCA products have... but it's not, it's a clunky GM system. And on my truck it required a Bose upgrade I didn't want so $1,000 and even more difficulty upgrading the radio.

Google announced some pretty cool features for Android auto, one of which was android auto over wifi on cars that have a hotspot feature. If by some odd chance they get that working and our trucks get the patches required, then I'd have zero regrets. Having to plug the phone in is the one thing I don't care for.

#33 ·
My wife is directionally challenged, QUOTE]

Reminds me of my wife. Pre-GPS and travelling with paper maps, my wife as a navigator, it took me years to explain to her that when driving south, we were driving "down" when looking at the map.
In her mind, the map was oriented in the direction we were driving, therefore all trips were North. 27 years later, I still don't think she gets it.

#27 ·
Short answer...worth it in my opinion.

Obviously a smartphone on a data plan will be your most up to date map and traffic, be it apple or google maps. But I enjoy the convenience of it being built in.

With a garmin you either have to have it hard mounted and at the ready all the time or be prepared to pull it out of the glovebox and boot it up, mount it and plug it in. With a cell phone you can have glitchy service, some one calls right at the most inopportune time, etc.

I will say don't use navigation much. I dont travel out of state much and most of my driving is in an area where I've lived my whole life and I am familiar with all the major roads and secondary roads. So I only need it when I am going into an area where I am looking for a side street off of a secondary road, a road I am probably familiar with, so its nice to reach up, hit the nav icon, a map pops up almost instantly and i can see the street i am looking for is coming up on my left. No phone in my hand, no garmin, just a 8" screen at eye level confirming that I am almost to my turn.

i think it boils down to what your driving habits are and the need for nav to begin with

Reactions: Esoxchaser
#30 ·
I used to think so but not so much anymore.
I've had is my Vettes and sedans and most of the time found it ANNOYING. The cost of a map update is a bit to much and even then major road improvements are missing.
I ended up having wife ask Siri or Google to give directions and find it easier then pulling over answering questions and finding that the NAV unit in the car could not find and using the voice option was even more ponderous.

SOoo I just ordered my new Colorado and opted not to get the Nav and will rely on Car Play or the Android version

#31 ·
I got it because it came bundled with the Bose option. I use the oem nav and the Google maps / Waze from my phone, both work fine

#34 ·
Is that how you ended up in Canada?

Reactions: Xcanuk
#36 ·
I've used google maps to drive around 2 countries in Europe last summer by downloading maps for use offline with my phone in airplane mode and no cell connection. Worked fine.

I think cell phones can give a rough location triangulating using cell towers without using GPS, but obviously GPS is more accurate.

Ordered my 2016 Colorado Duramax without nav because Android Auto was going to be available.

And also, I believe someone did order the Bose system without Nav. Don't think you can get Nav without Bose though.

#42 ·
Personally I don't care for the vehicle Nav systems because they generally require you to go to the dealer for updates, which generally costs you money, and they are frequently not correct. My wife's Durango is loaded, and even new off the lot with the "latest" version of their maps it was inaccurate. As far as Android connect, that's only as good as your phone, your apps, and your ability to make that little process work for you. Trailbossblue is correct that you can GPS without cell service IF you have location services enabled, and have a companion mapping app installed on your phone with downloaded maps for the area you are in. I used this method in Afghanistan all the time to get around in cities using less than perfect maps due to lack of availability. My personal advise is to get a good large screen Garmin, pay for the life time updates and never worry about what might be wrong in the truck Nav, or having to use your phone as your navigation tool and loaded with maps as well. I have a 7 inch Garmin, take it out maybe once a month to check for updates and it's never failed me. Has bluetooth, voice command, takes an SD card, plays music if I want and runs off a rechargable battery as well as USB. Just my 2 cents...take it or leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.