How To: DRL Delete (2nd Gen) - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bigboi98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 133
Bump for any of the new members

Sent from my SM-G920V
badandy519 likes this.
bigboi98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sabbotage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central PA
Posts: 276
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Is there a click between off and auto once the spring is removed so the switch stays locked in place like it is for the other modes? Just curious. :)

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
sabbotage is offline  
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
I went threw this whole process only to find out our Canadian trucks have DRL on the low beams that come on as soon as I take the truck outta park. ?
CanyonTO is offline  
 
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
lqdchkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Concord CA
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
Is there a click between off and auto once the spring is removed so the switch stays locked in place like it is for the other modes? Just curious. :)
Not really no. But it stays in the off position fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonTO View Post
I went threw this whole process only to find out our Canadian trucks have DRL on the low beams that come on as soon as I take the truck outta park. ?
In Canada aren't DRL required by law? In the US they aren't

P.S. FART

Last edited by lqdchkn; 11-21-2016 at 11:42 AM.
lqdchkn is offline  
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
sabbotage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central PA
Posts: 276
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Not really no. But it stays in the off position fine.
What about the auto position? Is the switch tight enough that it will stay in auto after hitting a few bumps or something? I was just hoping it wouldn't slide back to off on it's own

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
sabbotage is offline  
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
Is there a click between off and auto once the spring is removed so the switch stays locked in place like it is for the other modes? Just curious. :)
Not really no. But it stays in the off position fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonTO View Post
I went threw this whole process only to find out our Canadian trucks have DRL on the low beams that come on as soon as I take the truck outta park. ?
In Canada aren't DRL required by law? In the US they aren't

P.S. FART
Duh stupid Newfie here.. yes they are required by law.. here we have some stupid drivers so they have to make certain things law
CanyonTO is offline  
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
lqdchkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Concord CA
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
What about the auto position? Is the switch tight enough that it will stay in auto after hitting a few bumps or something? I was just hoping it wouldn't slide back to off on it's own
Off has no detent (click, snap, lock whatever you want to call it) that I can really feel but the dial will stay there. The dial stops and stays in all positions fine. I'm not sure how much clearer we can make this.

Worst case, if you don't like it you can put the spring back in as long as you don't break something taking it out, or buy a new switch, or post up here to swap with someone that wants to do this but hasn't.

You have options man, some of them may be pricier to you but this isn't going to be the end of your truck
lqdchkn is offline  
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
sabbotage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central PA
Posts: 276
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Off has no detent (click, snap, lock whatever you want to call it) that I can really feel but the dial will stay there. The dial stops and stays in all positions fine. I'm not sure how much clearer we can make this.

Worst case, if you don't like it you can put the spring back in as long as you don't break something taking it out, or buy a new switch, or post up here to swap with someone that wants to do this but hasn't.

You have options man, some of them may be pricier to you but this isn't going to be the end of your truck

I wasn't trying to be difficult. I was just genuinely curious.

I think I may do this for the sake of possibly swapping to HIDs in the near future. I'd like to see the LEDs in my headlights of my canyon be the DRLs instead of the headlights. I may have to look into swapping that somehow.

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
sabbotage is offline  
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
lqdchkn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Concord CA
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
I wasn't trying to be difficult. I was just genuinely curious.

I think I may do this for the sake of possibly swapping to HIDs in the near future. I'd like to see the LEDs in my headlights of my canyon be the DRLs instead of the headlights. I may have to look into swapping that somehow.
Lol my bad if that came off as "snarky" was just trying to be literal

Last edited by lqdchkn; 11-21-2016 at 04:18 PM.
lqdchkn is offline  
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
poconojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mount Pocono, PA
Posts: 152
I thought there was a setting to turn off the DRL.
poconojoe is offline  
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 71
Dang... I was really hoping there was a wiring thing you could do to more so reroute the DRL to the ambers :P
James Bell is offline  
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
sabbotage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central PA
Posts: 276
Garage
Send a message via AIM to sabbotage Send a message via MSN to sabbotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bell View Post
Dang... I was really hoping there was a wiring thing you could do to more so reroute the DRL to the ambers :P
Apparently there is a harness someone can make according to this post: Can I make the LED signature lights function as the DRL system?

The person who mentioned that hasn't replied what options the harness gives you as far as reverting your DRLs to the parking lights or the LED markers.
James Bell likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon All-Terrain Duramax
sabbotage is offline  
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
sohccammer427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 107
Garage
Big thanks to the op for all his replies. Have a Z71 on order and had wondered if this was doable. I'd have no issues it the drl's were separate lamps, but running the actual projector headlights at a reduced voltage I may not light.

I may or may not do it but this sounds like the only way. On the VW it's a controller setting changeable via software.

Anyhow, as far as I know my Z71 will have fog lamps, so just to add to this thread, it appears there are two switches available as mentioned. And Rock Auto does carry them.

22940469 w/o fogs
22940468 with fogs

Last edited by sohccammer427; 03-15-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spell
sohccammer427 is offline  
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 3,006
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post

Anyhow, as far as I know my Z71 will have fog lamps, so just to add to this thread, it appears there are two switches available as mentioned. And Rock Auto does carry them.

22940469 w/o fogs
22940468 with fogs
Fogs lights are standard on the Z71 package.

There is a third switch also, for trucks equipped with the sport bar and off road lights.

23458495 with fogs and off road lights
RatRacer is offline  
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 4
This thread is awesome and the reason I had to register just so I can say thank you! The auto drl was only thing that bothered me but now Im drl free lol
Lt1bandit is offline  
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Junior Member
 
redbolt04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10
This is the best thing ever! I run a retrofit bi xeon hid setup in my truck and it's bit happy if I forget to turn off the drl every time I drive! This is the greatest! Thank you!

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk
redbolt04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome