How To: DRL Delete (2nd Gen) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

How To: DRL Delete (2nd Gen)

Since the days of pulling a DRL fuse are gone, I had to get a little inventive. Ordered a new headlight switch from GMPartsDirect for $26 to play with. The goal was to be able to manipulate the switch so it could stay in the "off" position rather than always springing back to "auto" so I could leave it "off" and not have to turn it every time I got in the truck.

(Don't judge the dirtiness of my truck. I work in a rock quarry lol)

Removing the factory switch is a pain. First you'll need a 7mm socket to take two screws out of the lower dash trim.

Then pull on the top corner of the trim piece closest to the steering wheel. It's held in by a few trim tabs. You'll only be able to pull it 1/2 way out due to the hood latch release still being attached to the bottom. You'll see a tab on each side holding the switch in place. Pull the tabs outward and disconnect the wiring plug.

Taking the switch apart is pretty self explanatory. Four tabs hold it together. Use a small flathead to push tabs and pull the housing apart. Had to pry a good bit but nothing broke.

Once apart, you'll see the spring in the upper corner. You'll also see this flat little metal piece. Take note of where the metal piece sits. Very crucial that it goes back in the same way. Spring is circled red. Metal piece is circled green.

Remove spring. It will not be used again. Make sure flat metal piece goes back into its little slots that it came out of. Your fingers will get covered in grease during this. They went a little crazy when applying the electrical grease to everything. Now put it all back together. Make sure the electrical pins for the plug fit back through. It is a hair tricky making the knob go back through the hole. That flat metal piece kinda catches the side of the knob. Just wiggle everything until it all slides back together. Put the back plate on and you're all set.

Once this modification is done, your truck will always get an off signal if the switch is left off. The only downside is your headlights won't turn on when you unlock the truck, if that's how you have your unlock sequence set. That's a perfectly fine trade off for me. Tired of turning the headlight dial off every time I get in my truck.

Thanks for reading and post any helpful comments (except "why would you do this?")

Sent from my SM-G920V

Last edited by bigboi98; 06-11-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:41 PM

Garage
Thanks for taking the lead on this and for the helpful replies in the other thread. I'll be doing this as soon as I'm back on my feet after knee surgery....
bigboi98 likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 PM

Wonder if this will work on Cdn models? (we do not have the option of turning off our DRL lights)
I don't mind the idea of DRL at all, I just rather install a set of aux LED running as my DRL vs the headlamps.

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 PM

Now if someone could only post the corollary piece titled "How to make sure FOG lights come on any time HEADLIGHTS are on."
dono1 likes this.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:04 AM

You know what was said to the German Commander at the Battle of the Bulge......... Good job and write up though.
Toughsox likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
You know what was said to the German Commander at the Battle of the Bulge......... Good job and write up though.
NUTS !!!

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
NUTS !!!
Right!
Toughsox likes this.

'16 Z71 EC

GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:00 AM

Garage
Will the headlight still come on at night or do you manually have to turn them on?

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:32 AM

Garage
Forgive the dumb question, but what is the appeal of not running DRLs?

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
Will the headlight still come on at night or do you manually have to turn them on?
Manually. Pretty much just like the newer Fords. You can leave it on auto if you want and everything will work like normal. Or leave it off and just have to turn them on when needed. If I go somewhere at night, I can put it on "auto" and not have to touch it. If I go somewhere during the day I can put it on "off" and not have to touch it until that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNoto View Post
Forgive the dumb question, but what is the appeal of not running DRLs?
Not a fan of the look of halogen DRLs. LED looks great. But not halogen. Looks dinky to me. This is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Last edited by bigboi98; 06-11-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi98 View Post
Manually. Pretty much just like the newer Fords. You can leave it on auto if you want and everything will work like normal. Or leave it off and just have to turn them on when needed. If I go somewhere at night, I can put it on "auto" and not have to touch it. If I go somewhere during the day I can put it on "off" and not have to touch it until that night.

Not a fan of the look of halogen DRLs. LED looks great. But not halogen. Looks dinky to me. This is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my SM-G920V
This is how it should have been designed to begin with...
bigboi98, CosmicColorado and aver3 like this.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks for your post and detailed instructions bigboi98. I have wanted to get the DRL's to stay off ever since I bought my truck. I took care of mine this morning. Now if I could get the Radio to stay off when I crank the truck I would be ecstatic.

2016 Colorado LT
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Also useful for those who have HID conversions and don't want to put the extra cycles / hours on the ballasts / bulbs.

Nice write up! I had heard about this being done before but it's a creative way to address the issue.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab Short Box
Evolution Auto Salon 35W HID retrofit / Morimoto LED Foglights / Elite E2 Catch Can / Vehicle-wide LED Retrofits
2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Past: 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Lt View Post
Thanks for your post and detailed instructions bigboi98. I have wanted to get the DRL's to stay off ever since I bought my truck. I took care of mine this morning. Now if I could get the Radio to stay off when I crank the truck I would be ecstatic.
No problem. Glad it worked out for ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
Also useful for those who have HID conversions and don't want to put the extra cycles / hours on the ballasts / bulbs.

Nice write up! I had heard about this being done before but it's a creative way to address the issue.
Another very valid point is HID cycling.

And if someone is running a bulb like Sylvania Ultra White which only had a 100hr life. No need in burning them up when you don't need to.

Sent from my SM-G920V
WRXtranceformed likes this.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Thank you so much bigboi98! To me the auto headlights is the #1 most annoying feature of this truck.
bigboi98 likes this.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Freakin sweet. So glad this is so easy. Thank you for being the Guinea pig on this.

One question before I do this. Once done and the switch is staying in the off position. When you turn the truck off with the lights off, then start it the next time; do you get that alert at start up that you normally do when switching from auto to the off position?
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Freakin sweet. So glad this is so easy. Thank you for being the Guinea pig on this.

One question before I do this. Once done and the switch is staying in the off position. When you turn the truck off with the lights off, then start it the next time; do you get that alert at start up that you normally do when switching from auto to the off position?
Nope no alert. One of the first things I checked.

Sent from my SM-G920V
lqdchkn likes this.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleZ View Post
This is how it should have been designed to begin with...
Nah, it's for us old farts that can't remember to turn our lights on in the rain so we don't get a ticket.

'16 Z71 EC

GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
Nah, it's for us old farts that can't remember to turn our lights on in the rain so we don't get a ticket.
Actually, if you leave it in the Auto position, the headlights will come on when the wipers are actuated. So no one will know you are elderly. I live in a retirement community myself and headlights aren't the safety issue, it's the folks who shouldn't be driving anymore that are....
pennhunter likes this.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Just a note, if the truck is started with the switch in the off position, in order to to get the auto function to activate you must turn the dial to the next notch after auto then back to auto. The system thinks you've physically turned the lights off so you must turn an actual light on to activate the auto system. It seems complicated but I suck at explaining things.

So when the truck is started with the switch off, just remember that you have to physically turn the lights on before returning the dial to "auto" if it rains, driving through a tunnel, etc.

Still a trade off I'll take any day over turning the knob every time.

Sent from my SM-G920V
lqdchkn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode