Anyone Swap the key around? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_p View Post
That's not the same key. We'd need the 4 button key and that is also an after market key. Not OEM, we'll have way better luck at successfully getting a flip key if we go with an oem version. I would order one but the extra 15-20$ in shipping cost to get them Canada is a little crazy. I'm hoping someone down south will be able to help out and attempt it
I'm trying to do the best I can in ordering a key from the dealer if allowed. I need to bring my Minimax anyway for some maintenance. So while there I'll see what I can do about ordering a key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Interested in this...I had the separate key and FOB. I came from a proximity key before this, so even having to use the key to turn the truck on is slightly annoying. Getting down to a single FOB will help.

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 PM

Something about turning the key makes me feel like I'm one with the truck. That we are not separate. Shifting it into drive feels like the tires are my feet, the the engine and trans are my muscles. Too much? Lol. It may not be like that but I do prefer turning the key. I also prefer shifting instead of turning a knob. I really wish that they kept the column shifter but oh well. It needs to feel like a truck. I do agree about the fob and key being one piece. I'm subscribing to this thread.
Toughsox, Janster and aver3 like this.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM

Garage
Programming instructions ( steps how program a keyless entry remote) below
IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the GM remote transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory if not reprogrammed during the same programming procedure. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again with new remote.

Keep this in mind when you bring your vehicle to the dealer or try this yourself. From what I read it is an easy process so doing it yourself may be the easier route depending on your dealer.

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:01 PM

so what happened? lol I am interested in this as well.
robbpoe likes this.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 PM

Garage
I got tired of waiting and ordered the equinox key. Need to get my wheels balanced and will have them give it a try sometime this week. Apparently post 2010 requires some gm component plugged into the vehicle during programming so this can not be done at home...

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
I got tired of waiting and ordered the equinox key. Need to get my wheels balanced and will have them give it a try sometime this week. Apparently post 2010 requires some gm component plugged into the vehicle during programming so this can not be done at home...
Thank you being the guinea pig. I would have done it but customs charges on something that may work aren't very pleasant

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Just a point of information if someone wants to research fobs, the FCC ID of my Canyon fob is M3N-32337100. Looking that up on an FCC ID database comes back with a registration for 314.9 MHz so any potential replacement fob will need to be that frequency. If you can get the FCC ID of the replacement before ordering you could check the frequency in advance.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Eibach Pro Truck Sport RHA shocks leveled at 1.4", Access Vanish tonneau cover, Morimoto 2stroke LED headlights
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

OKay, well. I have just received my Equinox 4button fob in the mail yesterday.. Problem is.. I bought the fob with a key that is apparently already cut.

SO! I have to add a step.. I need to order a BLANK key so i can have Chevy copy my key cut... So I can program the fob to work... Standby for results...

(I work overnights. Its hard for me to get to the dealer during operation hours) hang tight!
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Found out a better and cheaper solution... Just attach the fob and the key together with a small bolt, spacer and nylon lock nut. The nylon washer will make the key move freely but still keeps the bolt from turning. The spacer, or larger nut, keeps the key from sticking outwards and lines up with the fob. Might not look pretty but damn it works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_202515021_HDR.jpg (74.1 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_202437029_HDR.jpg (85.4 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_202426147.jpg (85.0 KB, 396 views)
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslow View Post
Found out a better and cheaper solution...
That is AWESOME!
david.irwin.583 likes this.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Found out a better and cheaper solution... Just attach the fob and the key together with a small bolt, spacer and nylon lock nut. The nylon washer will make the key move freely but still keeps the bolt from turning. The spacer, or larger nut, keeps the key from sticking outwards and lines up with the fob. Might not look pretty but damn it works great.
Congratulations on winning the internet today! Is your system available in flat black?
Nicolas_p likes this.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Amazing.. I want to do the same thing now! Tired of the key fob rattling everytime I hit a bump

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:38 PM

Garage
My knee bumps the fob every time I transition to the brake. That and the fact the key sets off the alarm when you use it on the door makes this NEED to work, haha.

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:

Yankee Ingenuity!!

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha This will be the alternative if my Equinox key fob doesn't work...
My appointment for my trucks first service is DEC 17th.. That's the day I'll be going to the parts counter and buying a blank key to copy my current key, and then hopefully finding out how to get it to program to the truck

Thank you for all for hanging around for results.
I'm just excited as you are!

Last edited by 310HSSV; 12-10-2016 at 02:54 AM.
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I'd been reading this thread pondering....... now you're gonna have a key that sticks out 3-4" (guess) out of the ignition (instead of just 1"). I mean....if you don't like the dangly bits, keep them separate and put the fob in your pocket.

You're idea is pretty slick! You can a least pivot the fob back and out of the way so it doesn't stick out as far.

Not something I would do (I don't mind the dangly bits) but just thought I'd mention that. GREAT JOB!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 AM

I agree my friend. That is why after the key is inserted into the ignition then you just pivot the fob 90 degrees so it hangs down. 3/4 of an inch is all takes from the edge of the key to the edge of the fob. I can afford that. Anyway, hope people find it useful.
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Garage
I have wondered about this since day one of getting my truck. My moms LS Equinox has the "switchblade" fob. Even the Cruze that Ive taken from the dealer twice while my truck was in for recalls has the "switchblade" fob. But yet, a more expensive truck and you get to here the jingle or knocking around of an old school style fob dangling from the ignition. I'll be watching this to see what happens. Meant to look into some options early on, but got caught up doing everything else appearance wise that I wanted to do. I have a local place that has done me good in the past and will beat internet pricing by 15% as long as its something they have in stock or they will match it if they have to order it.

2016 CCSB LT V6 --- Purchased Oct. 15 2015 --- LT Convenience Package --- Tow Package w/ Locking Rear Diff --- GM Black Bowties --- AVS Vent Visors --- Belltech Lowering Kit
Air Dam Mod --- Bakflip MX4 Hard Folding Cover --- Line-X Bed Liner --- 20x8.5 American Racing AR914's +15 offset --- 255/50 Nitto 421Q's

Lowering Thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-2...t-lowered.html
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Being a true man of science...

https://youtu.be/ZyIXxs68es0

Let me know if I missed something lol I am not aware of a programming method where a machine is connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161213_174353.jpg (214.9 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by MugPro; 12-13-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode