Anyone Swap the key around? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:35 PM

I wonder if the Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore key fob works too.

310HSSV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugPro View Post
Being a true man of science...

https://youtu.be/ZyIXxs68es0

Let me know if I missed something lol I am not aware of a programming method where a machine is connected.
Programming the FOB does require something connected. I forget what year, but everything I found online was only for up to around 2010. All sites said that after that there was an added component. "Sorry, there are no keyless entry remote self-programming instructions for this vehicle. You must get an Automotive Locksmith to program the remote to your vehicle for you." You can try the old method just to be sure. Hopefully I wont need to work Saturday for once and can get in and have them give it a go...
310HSSV likes this.

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Well I'll find out tomorrow!

Finally got the new "uncut" key blade inserted into the flip out fob...
From what I was told.. the dealer will laser cut my key for $30.

Total worth.

And moment of truth tomorrow hopefully

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Welp....

No joy on my end. I can't even get the transponder to pair. I have a feeling it may have to do with the battery. Maybe it's dead... Tomorrow is another day
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310HSSV View Post
Welp....

No joy on my end. I can't even get the transponder to pair. I have a feeling it may have to do with the battery. Maybe it's dead... Tomorrow is another day
Keep us posted.
Midnight16 and 310HSSV like this.
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Still dead a week later? Any luck? If the Equinox key works, I'll try a terrain key on my canyon.
robbpoe likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box Cyber Gray Metallic, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Superskidz
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 AM

yeah id like to know
310HSSV likes this.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I'm getting no joy with this key...

The key is perfectly cut...

I've done the steps to "Program the Transponder"

1) Use current key... turn truck on for 5 seconds until "Anti Theft" symbol goes out.. then quickly turn truck off remove key and then insert NEW FOB... Well.. the truck will turn on successfully... however it will pop the "Anti Theft" light on and it will stay on.. But I can drive the truck for miles no issue...
When I turn the truck off... wait a min or so... Go to use the NEW FOB it won't allow me to start the truck with it... I'm not sure whats wrong. Still in the works tinkering with things.
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

As a fun trial....
(I live in the states)

I went to Ebay.com.au
And I bought an actual KEY FOB from Australia.
"2 Button Remote Flip Key Fob Case For Holden Colorado Cruze Vauxhall Opel Astra Insignia"

Somehow was able to buy it for $4 and free shipping... I know.. a joke right? My theory is if a Holden Colorado uses these keys, perhaps it'll work for a Chevy Colorado.

Pending results...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l64.jpg (1.2 KB, 436 views)
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310HSSV View Post
As a fun trial....
(I live in the states)

I went to Ebay.com.au
And I bought an actual KEY FOB from Australia.
"2 Button Remote Flip Key Fob Case For Holden Colorado Cruze Vauxhall Opel Astra Insignia"

Somehow was able to buy it for $4 and free shipping... I know.. a joke right? My theory is if a Holden Colorado uses these keys, perhaps it'll work for a Chevy Colorado.

Pending results...
Almost a month after your last post...any luck?

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 AM

Garage
I'm still trying to figure out what you guys use the key FOB for? I leave my truck unlocked 90% of the time, and I remote start it from my phone....

BDS 5.5" Lift with Fox Shocks
RBP 94R 18x9 with custom Laser Blue inserts
305/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Garage
I'm still interested too.
310HSSV likes this.

Rob
2016 Z71 CCSB Dmax, Cyber Gray Metallic, NAV, Bose
All LED interior, tail lights, cargo, back-up.
DDM HID Low beams 5500k, 55 Watt
JDM Astar LED Switchback front signals
Genssi High beams and fogs 6000k and 55 watt
LineX, Pop & Lock
20% Tint (Matches rear windows)
MaxPider Mats
Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna
Weathertech Mud Flaps and Wind Deflectors
Nfab 6-step nerf bars

post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerado View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what you guys use the key FOB for? I leave my truck unlocked 90% of the time, and I remote start it from my phone....
Remote starting does not help when you have to have the key in it to put it into gear...secondly not everybody lives in New Hampshire...we all can't leave our cars unlocked and expect the cars contents or the car itself to still be there when we come back to the car.
CPTTango30, dave66rivi and 310HSSV like this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Key FOB requires me to pull out my keys and press one button, one press unlocks my door, two presses unlocks both doors. Key now in my hand to start truck. Pretty basic.

Using phone, I pull out phone, input my phone password, then tap the button for myGMC app. Tap the icon for Key Fob. Tap the function I want: Unlock, start engine, flush toilet, etc. Now I input my 4 digit password for the App. Remove keys from pocket and insert into ignition.

Seems like one method is much simpler than the other.

To start truck remotely, I pull out my key fob, I press lock button, press and hold the start button, wait for truck to start. Now I can unlock doors with the key fob in my hands, have key in hand to insert and turn in ignition to drive truck.

Again, the App is nice, it is wonderful when I want to remotely lock/unlock truck. I have only locked keys in a vehicle 2-3 times in life, but I am even more unlikely to lock my phone in truck, extremely unlikely to lock phone & keys in truck. In any event, I probably have only used the Phone App on average 1-2 times per month over life of vehicle. Mostly when I couldn't remember if I locked truck and had walked off or where I was working on something and had my phone but keys were in the house.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
why would you post that online???
24v and goleee33 like this.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Key FOB requires me to pull out my keys and press one button, one press unlocks my door, two presses unlocks both doors. Key now in my hand to start truck. Pretty basic.

Using phone, I pull out phone, input my phone password, then tap the button for myGMC app. Tap the icon for Key Fob. Tap the function I want: Unlock, start engine, flush toilet, etc. Now I input my 4 digit password for the App. Remove keys from pocket and insert into ignition.

Seems like one method is much simpler than the other.

To start truck remotely, I pull out my key fob, I press lock button, press and hold the start button, wait for truck to start. Now I can unlock doors with the key fob in my hands, have key in hand to insert and turn in ignition to drive truck.

Again, the App is nice, it is wonderful when I want to remotely lock/unlock truck. I have only locked keys in a vehicle 2-3 times in life, but I am even more unlikely to lock my phone in truck, extremely unlikely to lock phone & keys in truck. In any event, I probably have only used the Phone App on average 1-2 times per month over life of vehicle. Mostly when I couldn't remember if I locked truck and had walked off or where I was working on something and had my phone but keys were in the house.
I can see the simpleness of the way you use it. Maybe the design of my house and where I work play a large part in the fact that I use the phone most of the time. When I'm getting ready for work, I typically have my phone handy anyways, so while on the phone verifying appointments and such for the day I start the truck. I like that it tells me exactly when it started so I know if I have to restart it before I leave the house, so when I check that I just unlock it then. I do the same thing when I'm leaving work, leaving a restaurant, or wherever.

I dislike the bulkiness of the key fob in my pants pocket, but I always have my phone anyways. Different strokes for different folks

post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbs22 View Post
why would you post that online???
Are you asking that because you think someone might try to find my truck and look inside of it because it's unlocked? I don't keep anything of real value inside the truck, and if someone does steal something that is in it, they probably need it more than me.

Or a different reason?

post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
Almost a month after your last post...any luck?
None yet
I have been talking to people over at the chevy dealer to see what would actually stop the transponder from recognizing the key. Next is how can we program this remote part of the key to actually work for the truck.. So far I talked to a locksmith and he "CLAIMS" he can get it done for $250... I just don't know if I'm willing to dive THAT deep into it. hahah. I didn't mind spending $50 as a trial...

Once I figure it out, Ya'll will be informed on here haha.
CanyonITHAULS and ColoradoCop like this.

post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Garage
While looking at older press photos, I noticed the picture had a switchblade style key

goleee33 likes this.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs, Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
While looking at older press photos, I noticed the picture had a switchblade style key

looks like a CGI job on the pic... this would be interesting to see get done some how...

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, CCSB, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2, 2" wheel spacers (big rub @ full steer, w/o spacers), pedal cmdr

To/do: AFE intake, puddle leds, Anzo tails, Zone 1.5" body lft

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode