Blue ice backlighting in 2017 GMCs - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Shawn O'Leary
  • 1 Post By BeastStarr68
  • 1 Post By BeastStarr68
  • 1 Post By Sigforty
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yeah - again - no.
Posts: 96
Garage
Blue ice backlighting in 2017 GMCs

Stopped by my dealer for a quick recall check today and while waiting I checked out a 2500HD Sierra Denali with the 6.6L Duramax. Gorgeous ride. Anyway, the salesman fired it up and I noticed blue back lighting on the display and center stack - like in Chevys. I pointed it out to the salesman and said the factory must have made an error. Turns out that for 2017 all GMCs get the chevy blue back lighting. I know its a minor thing, but I'm a little bummed to see the red go.
Johng724 likes this.
Shawn O'Leary is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
sivartk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
Garage
I actually like the blue better and am happy with the look of my 2017 Canyon.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
sivartk is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O'Leary View Post
Stopped by my dealer for a quick recall check today and while waiting I checked out a 2500HD Sierra Denali with the 6.6L Duramax. Gorgeous ride. Anyway, the salesman fired it up and I noticed blue back lighting on the display and center stack - like in Chevys. I pointed it out to the salesman and said the factory must have made an error. Turns out that for 2017 all GMCs get the chevy blue back lighting. I know its a minor thing, but I'm a little bummed to see the red go.
Yep, this is the second thread on this little anomaly. I like the blue as well but red would have been fine too. I guess I am not picky about the back lighting as long as there is backlighting

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 49
Blue is in!! Enjoy it guys
Likely is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Yeah - again - no.
Posts: 96
Garage
I picked up my 9yo daughter from school before stopping at the dealership. She said the teal/light blue gave the truck a "feminine touch." I think the salesman was happy to see me walk her out of the showroom... :)
Shawn O'Leary is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O'Leary View Post
I picked up my 9yo daughter from school before stopping at the dealership. She said the teal/light blue gave the truck a "feminine touch." I think the salesman was happy to see me walk her out of the showroom... :)
I bet he was! Time to get in touch with your feminine side! Could be worse, it could have Pink backlighting...LOL
Shawn O'Leary likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
LoJac963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 152
Garage
I can't stand the blue. Red looks so much better and was one of the main reasons I jumped in a 2016 at the end of the year when I found out they were changing to blue. Really is a shame, it is one of those little touches to separate GMC from Chevy.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
LoJac963 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
captain.russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey Maryland
Posts: 332
Garage
Blue ice

BLUE ICE!!!!! Isn't that what falls from the sky from big jetliners!!

Yikes!!
captain.russ is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I can't stand the blue. Red looks so much better and was one of the main reasons I jumped in a 2016 at the end of the year when I found out they were changing to blue. Really is a shame, it is one of those little touches to separate GMC from Chevy.
Really??? That was the main reason...lighting?? You passed on a truck with a quicker more powerful engine and smoother transmission...because of blue lighting? I would hate to be a auto manufacturer...it is really hard to figure out why people will buy one car over another....guess that is why they do those surveys.
PAR likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Bailout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 355
I can agree I have a 16 canyon all terrain and love the red lighting with the red stitching In the truck. It's the little things that make or break in such a competitive market these days. That and I just think the Chevy blue is boring and bland in my opinion. I don't know that it would have stopped me from buying a 17 but it certainly would have affected my decision.

2016 Canyon All Terrain V6
Morimoto HID 35w 5500k + Morimoto LED Fogs
Trifecta Tune
Fox 2.0 coilovers and shocks
265/70/17 BFG KO2 All Terrains
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
Bailout is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailout View Post
I can agree I have a 16 canyon all terrain and love the red lighting with the red stitching In the truck. It's the little things that make or break in such a competitive market these days. That and I just think the Chevy blue is boring and bland in my opinion. I don't know that it would have stopped me from buying a 17 but it certainly would have affected my decision.
When i was looking for my truck, I never drove a 2016, but I did sit in an All Terrain and start it up and I really did not even notice the lighting or the red stitching. Maybe if it had been night I would have, but probably would not have thought much about it because my previous car had Orange/Red. I did not even notice my 2017 had blue lighting until someone brought it up in a thread on here. As for the read stitching, since it is only a single row stitch it really does not stand out to me either. It blends in with the dark gray interior. Now white stitching stands out especially on black leather seats. I love the interior of my All Terrain, the seats look really cool, but I do not think the red stitching adds much to it to be honest.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 54
Garage
I prefer the blue lighting. I was happy to see the change when the 2017's came out.
sivartk likes this.

Sigforty is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
LoJac963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 152
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Really??? That was the main reason...lighting?? You passed on a truck with a quicker more powerful engine and smoother transmission...because of blue lighting? I would hate to be a auto manufacturer...it is really hard to figure out why people will buy one car over another....guess that is why they do those surveys.
I wasn't overly concerned with the 3HP or whatever the new engine produces above the 16's. I also did not want active fuel management or the 8-speed until the kinks are worked out. I don't really mind how my 16 drives. I came from driving an H2 so I am used to keeping the RPM's under 2k.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
LoJac963 is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I wasn't overly concerned with the 3HP or whatever the new engine produces above the 16's. I also did not want active fuel management or the 8-speed until the kinks are worked out. I don't really mind how my 16 drives. I came from driving an H2 so I am used to keeping the RPM's under 2k.
Well, the 3 HP was not really a big deal...the big deal is it is a full second faster than the outgoing V6 from 0-60 when paired with said 8 speed transmission. In auto world a full second is a long time. So it really wasn't mostly the blue lighting

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Member
 
KFhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: rural
Posts: 62
Garage
It's 2017 now, we should be able to change the dash color on a whim. My kid's new Kenwood stereo deck in his old dodge must have a dozen colors to choose from and even fades in and out of different colors on its own. Not that I'd want my truck shifting through different colored back lighting unless it was tagged to a "mode" like lane assist, forward crash avoidance, speeding or other indications. The dash could go green when you're maximizing your fuel efficiency for example.


Lot of useful things could be done with backlights, it could certainly be better than having to adjust the brightness every time you get in the vehicle because the sensor is too sensitive.

2016 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss Red Rock Metallic
KFhunter is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter View Post
It's 2017 now, we should be able to change the dash color on a whim. My kid's new Kenwood stereo deck in his old dodge must have a dozen colors to choose from and even fades in and out of different colors on its own. Not that I'd want my truck shifting through different colored back lighting unless it was tagged to a "mode" like lane assist, forward crash avoidance, speeding or other indications. The dash could go green when you're maximizing your fuel efficiency for example.


Lot of useful things could be done with backlights, it could certainly be better than having to adjust the brightness every time you get in the vehicle because the sensor is too sensitive.
Yeah...I don't need for my truck to be like a ride at Disney...don't need all that visual stimulation while I am driving.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
KFhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: rural
Posts: 62
Garage
Well I might have gotten carried away but still it wouldn't be hard or expensive to have an option of different colored lighting.

2016 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss Red Rock Metallic
KFhunter is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
ernster500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 329
Garage
I picked the Colorado over the Canyon just because of the blue... I didn't want to feel like I was tailgating someone every time I went out at night...


2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
ernster500 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome