New colorado and the frustrating infotainment system - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM

What I find interesting and frustrating is the MyLink is different depending on what year and what vehicle you purchase. Features may or may not be there even during the same model year or as little as a year apart.

My daughter has a 2014 Chevy Sonic and her MyLink has a friendlier interface and more features than my 2017 Colorado LT with the 8" screen. So does a 2017 Chevy Equinox. Example. . . why does the blasted screen come up on the "Home" screen in my Colorado with all the icons rather than stay on the last screen I selected? Oh, wait, it does. . . but only if I was playing something off a USB drive, but not on normal radio or even XM/Sirius.

Than there is the previous "disappearing" weather app. Now if seems, if you want an on screen weather check you have to download the Weather Channel and, Oh, pay for data over the 4G LTE in the truck to use it. When I picked the truck up there was a built in generic weather app that some say they still have the icon for, but mine went missing.

Yes, we know there will be "improvements" for MyLink from year to year or maybe even vehicle to vehicle, but I would value some consistency of operation and features over frustrating operation. Otherwise why not call it "PotLuck Link" . . . . . you take what you get.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
Well, we have just one, but our "kid" is closer to 50 than 40, and she stays connected only when she needs something from us! <g>

Thanks for that info on the USB ports. I'm liking what I hear about the GM Twins.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM

So I just noticed, my truck doesn't have the native weather app like OP is looking for either. I only have the Weather Channel one that I downloaded from the App Store.

Not a big deal for me, just adding to the thread.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
So I just noticed, my truck doesn't have the native weather app like OP is looking for either. I only have the Weather Channel one that I downloaded from the App Store.

Not a big deal for me, just adding to the thread.
Thanks.. . I think there must have been an update. My sales guy mentioned something about the native weather app "going away" soon. Must have been an update. It is just annoying with all this first it's there and then it isn't. I have two phone weather apps anyway. But we really like the Weather-Gas Prices-Movie Times on our Equinox for quick checks and not having to fiddle with a phone.

One more thing regarding MyLink always going to the Home screen when entering and starting the truck. If I have a USB drive I was playing, it seems to go to that screen upon starting. If i had it in FM or XM Radio, it may got to that Audio screen, but mostly comes up at the Home Screen with the last station playing.

However, for some reason, if I use remote start, it will always come up with the radio screen if that was last playing. At least it seems that way so far. Maybe others can try it and see if it does the same.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-16-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
So I will use the installed Nav system, although I plan on also keeping my tried and true Garmin 2757 for serious navigation duties. I save route and way-points all the time, and I figure that is probably beyond the capability of the GM's navigation..

I don't have the nav and my Canyon is a 2015, so no android. I like my Garmin, although I only look at it when I get close to my destination.
Got it mounted low on the console in front of the gear shift.

I rather plan my routes at home, ready for the next morning than sitting in a vehicle and searching/punching in addresses.
If I want a big screen, I can always sync/mirror my phone to my tablet, which fits in front of the radio screen (only did that once)

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcanuk View Post
I don't have the nav and my Canyon is a 2015, so no android. I like my Garmin, although I only look at it when I get close to my destination.
Got it mounted low on the console in front of the gear shift.

I rather plan my routes at home, ready for the next morning than sitting in a vehicle and searching/punching in addresses.
If I want a big screen, I can always sync/mirror my phone to my tablet, which fits in front of the radio screen (only did that once)
If you have the Navigation package you can sit in your home, plan your route, upload it using the Mylink ap on your phone and supposedly it's pre programmed into the navigation system. Haven't tried it yet though.

Also, can't you get the 2015 updated which adds the android auto.
Alabiker likes this.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
If you have the Navigation package you can sit in your home, plan your route, upload it using the Mylink ap on your phone and supposedly it's pre programmed into the navigation system. Haven't tried it yet though.

Also, can't you get the 2015 updated which adds the android auto.

First I've heard of being to upload waypoints into a nav system, my bad .. (but doesn't help me)
as far as I know, no update to android for 2015.

I have a built in Nav system in my Jeep, and I still use another Garmin in it. I'm old school, I can hardly get my head around Google Maps. (although I did manage to download maps to use offline)

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
I find amusing thr OP made only 2 posts on thr entire thread. Takes very little to rattle the cage on this forum...

My 2 pennies....

Ford MS Sync is garbage. Go figure, anything made by MS is garbage, and that is one reasons that keep me away from buying a Ford. Rented a Focus one time for about 2 weeks; the car was ok, the infotaiment was annoyingly intrusive and will not shut the hell up !
I'm still here!!!

Haha...yeah, I've found out so much about this system over the last couple months and I kind wish I did some research because they have too many miss match features on this infotainment system. Like my trial/service through SirusXM includes weather, traffic and says my vehicle supports it, but in reality it doesn't.

I still haven't found a way to update or even find out if an update is available for my system. I DO NOT have the app store icon.

My wife has a 2014 Flex and I actually enjoy her Sync system. At least it lets you update it and ease of operation is miles ahead of this system. IMO.

I do like carplay with my iphone. So I can still get a navigation on the screen like I thought I was getting.....
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM

Garage
For those of you looking for a new phone and are specifically looking for Android Auto/Carplay comparisons, I found this video pretty helpful:

https://youtu.be/jeESbGPl_Dw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_robeson View Post
I'm still here!!!
I still haven't found a way to update or even find out if an update is available for my system. I DO NOT have the app store icon.

The system seems to have updated itself on my 2017 Colorado LT since it had a generic weather Icon when I picked it up and now it is gone. I do have the app Store Icon. You may have to swipe to second Home Screen page to find it. OR perhaps it got deleted somehow. They can be edited.

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
The system seems to have updated itself on my 2017 Colorado LT since it had a generic weather Icon when I picked it up and now it is gone. I do have the app Store Icon. You may have to swipe to second Home Screen page to find it. OR perhaps it got deleted somehow. They can be edited.
Mine has one screen and one screen only! That is what confuses me because everyone else seems to have one thing or another. No consistency.

What I did find on updating the system was open source software and some hacker way to update it.
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
Ok. . this isn't a big thing, but when I picked up my 2017 Colorado LT on February 22nd, 2017 my sales guy went through the Infotainment features, set up Onstar, paired phone, etc. During that time, he accessed the "Weather" somehow and I would swear there was a Weather Icon on my Home screen. Now all I have is 8 Icons and nothing on the second page and no Weather Icon. I am still under the 3 month XM and 6 month Onstar trial.
I tried to see how to add more Icons to the screen but do not see where to do that and see if there are Icons I can add.

My truck does not have Navigation but I swear there was a Weather Icon when he showed me all the features.
I think you saw the weather app from your phone on the screen?? not sure though. Mine will show my phone screen on the trucks screen (iPhone) IIRC. It's been while, I don't use it, don't like the phone taking over the truck...

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode