Retrofit in OEM projectors - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to note:

I am using can bus standalone adapters. They came with my Ram kit so I had to use them (They prevent bulb out warning and flicker) However If you already have a working HID kit without these then we probably do not need them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to CliffZ71 Send a message via MSN to CliffZ71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscoobie View Post
They are the XB Bulbs 4500k, best part about d2s I can run the night breakers which I am thinking about ordering. But the xb bulbs perform very well

2 x Splitter: 9005 Male > 9005/9006 Female - Looks like you will need to order x2

Their website says this
(QUANTITY: ONE Splitter (Order 2x for a Pair) )

Since they bolt right in there is no need for alignment, I have a pair of new FXRs that I was going to put in my last truck but they are 3" I still would have when this same route. Considering how easy this was. I wish there was a side to side adjustment but that is GM's issue.

Definalty do it when you get a chance its so easy and the reward is worth it, You will have x4 high beams as well. I like the mix of halogen and HID for my highs.

You cant tell the difference between them, It looks like OEM. I thought about doing a red eye mod but I will wait until the weather warms up.
Cool, Thanks, so if i am getting the whole set up starting out fresh, i dont need the Amp to D2S adapters right?

2016 Summit White Colorado CC Z71 window tint, bug deflector, magnaflow muffler, zone 1.25 level,air dam delete, weather tech no drill mud flaps, Husky floor liners, A.R.E topper, Baja Designs Squadron R Sport amber LED fogs, Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors, 35W D2S 5500 bulbs
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffZ71 View Post
Cool, Thanks, so if i am getting the whole set up starting out fresh, i dont need the Amp to D2S adapters right?
That is correct you can buy ballasts with the D2S adapters which is the standard.

If you are buying a kit fresh this is what you want:

The Honda Accord Retro-Quick kit is everything you need. I didn't have a relay available when I installed, but mine works without, If I had the option to get one I would just for comfort

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...C47309%2C48188
evoxse likes this.

post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
That is correct you can buy ballasts with the D2S adapters which is the standard.

The Honda Accord Retro-Quick kit is everything you need. I didn't have a relay available when I installed, but mine works without, If I had the option to get one I would just for comfort

Thanks man, what about the can bus standalone adapters, should i get and does Morimotto carry them

2016 Summit White Colorado CC Z71 window tint, bug deflector, magnaflow muffler, zone 1.25 level,air dam delete, weather tech no drill mud flaps, Husky floor liners, A.R.E topper, Baja Designs Squadron R Sport amber LED fogs, Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors, 35W D2S 5500 bulbs
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Am i reading that right, the whole kit is only $150 with the optional stuff included? Priced out seperately it comes out to $295!

post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Am i reading that right, the whole kit is only $150 with the optional stuff included? Priced out seperately it comes out to $295!
I think you would be ok without the can bus adapters, considering lots of people are running the plug and play kit without any issues. Just the relay harness would be a good idea.

Well the price for all that is about 320.00 the projectors alone are 150.00 for the pair. Its fairly inexpensive if you compare to the labor involved in a more advanced retrofit. Some places will charge 700+ alone for labor. Since you can get away with 300ish it is a steal. If you like premium headlights they are not for everyone.

post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:54 PM

Garage
Are the high beam splitters necessary, since both high and low beams already fire during high beam usage?(only fogs turn off)
post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I think you would be ok without the can bus adapters, considering lots of people are running the plug and play kit without any issues. Just the relay harness would be a good idea.

Well the price for all that is about 320.00 the projectors alone are 150.00 for the pair. Its fairly inexpensive if you compare to the labor involved in a more advanced retrofit. Some places will charge 700+ alone for labor. Since you can get away with 300ish it is a steal. If you like premium headlights they are not for everyone.
Ok, so then I'll add the harness with the relay(s) and I should be good, yes? I have the parts I need in my shopping cart on the Morimoto web site. I need to get the harness for the D2S bulbs correct? Thanks for all of your help with this. This is something I think I could do myself. By the way, nice looking truck!

post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:

I'll just get the kit, it has everything I need. Seems to be the best bet. Like you said, it pays to have a good set of lights that are done correctly, for $320 you really cant beat that. You haven't had any problems or issues upon delivery or during the time that you had them?

post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM

Garage
Argh! I'm doing it! I literally just ordered some new ballasts and bulbs, but it looks like I'll just be eating the cost of the bulbs for now. Next weekend will be a project weekend with a brush guard and fitting these pups in.
RatRacer and jmick21 like this.

2015 Red Hot Colorado Z71 2WD Crew Cab
Purchased 8/4/2015
Mods: Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon Projector Conversion, Morimoto D2S 35W 6500K HID Lows,
Morimoto XB LED Fogs, Black LT Wheels, Anzo LED Tail Lamps, OEM Black Bowties, Air Dam Delete,
Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black)

post #31 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg449 View Post
Argh! I'm doing it! I literally just ordered some new ballasts and bulbs, but it looks like I'll just be eating the cost of the bulbs for now. Next weekend will be a project weekend with a brush guard and fitting these pups in.
Suckah!

(my carts full, pending splitter necessity info)
bulldawg449 likes this.
post #32 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Suckah!

Splitter shouldn't be necessary. Power should still pass through as normal since the truck's computer dictates that.
RatRacer likes this.

Purchased 8/4/2015
Mods: Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon Projector Conversion, Morimoto D2S 35W 6500K HID Lows,
Morimoto XB LED Fogs, Black LT Wheels, Anzo LED Tail Lamps, OEM Black Bowties, Air Dam Delete,

Last edited by bulldawg449; 01-27-2017 at 10:25 PM.
post #33 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Splitter shouldn't be necessary. Power should still pass through as normal since the truck's computer dictates that.
Where's Black Friday when ya need it...
bulldawg449 likes this.
post #34 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Do you think it will be easy removing the stock projectors for this set-up? I haven't thought of doing this before but hey, what the heck right? Let us know how it goes with the removal process, good luck.

post #35 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
No kidding
RatRacer and Grey16Ziti like this.

post #36 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Do you think it will be easy removing the stock projectors for this set-up? I haven't thought of doing this before but hey, what the heck right? Let us know how it goes with the removal process, good luck.
Well, since @nwscoobie says that it will take a little effort to get the OEM projectors out, I imagine the biggest hurdle is working any brackets out while you're pulling the projector out. I've done a retrofit on my prior HHR and if it doesn't involve cracking open the housing then I'm all for it and I know the effort will be worth it. I figure once I get one out, the other will be much easier. Getting the bumper/housings out will probably be the biggest pain.

Purchased 8/4/2015

post #37 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Well, since @nwscoobie says that it will take a little effort to get the OEM projectors out, I imagine the biggest hurdle is working any brackets out while you're pulling the projector out. I've done a retrofit on my prior HHR and if it doesn't involve cracking open the housing then I'm all for it and I know the effort will be worth it. I figure once I get one out, the other will be much easier. Getting the bumper/housings out will probably be the biggest pain.
To me the bumper doesn't look that bad to do, however, the fender flares I have will suck being held on with tape and all. Guess I'm on the lookout for a good 3M tape. The stock projectors coming out will probably take a bit of wrestling, but with a little luck, maybe not be so bad. I'm ordering my setup next week so I'll have it for when the weather starts to warm up. My biggest worry is the possibility of new parts being put in then something not working correctly

post #38 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
Hmmm do I want to be the one to try it on my canyon...should be the same projector right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Suckah!

Splitter is only for the high beam selonid in the new projector it sends a signal to open the shield down to enable the high beam function. The splitter just makes it a plug and play so you dont have to splice into your high beam wires, for the extra 5 bucks its well worth it.

Quote:
that 25% would look pretty good right now huh, also google TRS codes or ask them on facebook sometimes they will give out one.

Quote:
I will post a picture

Quote:
I will post a picture of the projector to show how to split it apart in the housing to remove very painlessly

Quote:
To me the bumper doesn't look that bad to do, however, the fender flares I have will suck being held on with tape and all. Guess I'm on the lookout for a good 3M tape. The stock projectors coming out will probably take a bit of wrestling, but with a little luck, maybe not be so bad. I'm ordering my setup next week so I'll have it for when the weather starts to warm up. My biggest worry is the possibility of new parts being put in then something not working correctly
Taking out the projectors will take about 3-5 minutes for the first one and 30 seconds for the second one. There are three screw holding the projector to the housing, remove those 3 and the projector will move freely. Also you will need to use the level adjustment for the headlight to get to the top screw easier you will see when you try and remove it.
There is a little plastic retainer on the projector that you can pop off in the headlight and the projector can come apart in the housing making it a breeze to remove. I learned this on the second headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7930 View Post
Hmmm do I want to be the one to try it on my canyon...should be the same projector right?
Yes they should be identical, a guy on another forum sent me a picture on a canyon headlight and it looked the same, I cant guarantee it 100% since I have a Colorado

post #40 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

The circles are the 3 screw locations and the star is the tab you can easily pop off in the headlight, best I could do.

VFRLuke, RatRacer and bulldawg449 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode