GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!! - Page 10 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Mummel,

Part of the premise of this thread was if you hit the knob while the system is powered down the switch can rotate but nothing actually engages or disengages.

I don't think the system disengages from auto or 4WD hi at any speed. In 4WD low you would have known quickly you had an issue.

I do think that you would have noticed 4WD mode more in your short commute than average driver over the highway. In any event, no light suggests that it was never in 4WD.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM

Garage
GM, add me to list that want(and think there should have already been) a display on DIC for 2wd, Auto, 4 hi, 4 low.
KY Red Rock likes this.

'16 Colorado CCLB Z71 Duramax Rainforest Green, Zone 2.75" lift/level on 255/75-17 Duratracs
post #183 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM

End of the day people tend to become numb to lights and we'd still receive post of people asking if they hurt anything driving in 4wd on dry pavement because they hadn't noticed the 4wd light or info on the DIC.

I'm guilty of it myself, in my old 2005 GMC Canyon the 4WD light was in a fairly obvious location and easy to see, but I recall a few times that I forgotten I had put the truck into 4wd only to be driving down the highway thinking it was riding different. Only difference is I could quickly glance at the 4WD light in my 2005 Canyon with barely taking my eyes off the road...in my 2016 Colly I do need to take a few milliseconds more to confirm if I'm in 2wd or 4wd...first world problems.
ColoradoCop likes this.

post #184 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 AM

Garage
What is 4X4? and why indicate you have it publicly?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #185 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Garage
Allow me to add my .02 although I'm not an owner of a 4wd. (Still waiting on my 2wd to be delivered.) I see from the following images what the issue is:

And I have to agree, it's not the most "user friendly" design. The complete other end of the spectrum of "Heads Up Display" which is touted as being a revolution in safety design. The goal being never take your eyes off the road. Makes me wonder if one is suppose to only select drive mode when stopped? But still that would not address accidental bumping or the prior drivers setting or whatever may change it.

Too bad the headlight switch has the display level thumb-wheel as both dials appear to be the same size and the headlamp switch does appear to be a little more visible from the drivers position. I was wondering if the switches could exchange positions, but that thumb wheel probably rules that out.

But I digress. Someone here has engineered a dash indicator that may be the best solution next to just learning to live/deal with it. I highly doubt that GM will address this. To them it's working as designed.
post #186 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EricChevy Send a message via MSN to EricChevy
I just like to add my 2 cents to this discussion in the case that GM is following. I too was surprised to find no 4x4 indicator on the dash. Especially since there is an auto 2wd/4wd setting and it would be nice to know if and when it is kicking into 4wd.

Hoping to see this feature soon.
post #187 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
...Makes me wonder if one is suppose to only select drive mode when stopped? ...
I have a 2WD as well. However, my understanding is that going from 2WD to 4WD Hi is supposed to be done with the truck in motion, and further, the owner's manual suggests you can do it at speed.

Shifting into 4WD Lo does require vehicle to be stopped as I understand, don't have a clue about the auto mode.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #188 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I have a 2WD as well. However, my understanding is that going from 2WD to 4WD Hi is supposed to be done with the truck in motion, and further, the owner's manual suggests you can do it at speed.

Shifting into 4WD Lo does require vehicle to be stopped as I understand, don't have a clue about the auto mode.
You can shift into 4WD HI in motion or parked. You can't shift in to 4WD LO while moving.
post #189 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Garage
Just a thought for those so inclined....

I'm am sure with just some dremeling and wire extending you could put the switch somehwere else (as long as that somewhere else has enough room).

I did the 4x4 indicator thing which works great but I'm not willing the cut up my truck to move the switch. But hey, maybe someone will, it would be cool if nothing else. :)

post #190 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
Damn! So why did they screw this one up?
Someone needs to get fired!
Should have left well enough alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Because they tested the new Colorado's in suburbia fast cornering around the cul-de-sac's.....

Sort of like why do you design in a chuggle? Used to be they would break their neck to fix sluggishness, hesitation, and "missing / misses" as it was seen as the ultimate defect on a new car. Now - performing as designed.

Like many here, I filled out the quality survey a month or so after I took delivery. The 4x4 switch positioning and dummy light / notification was mentioned.

I have to check, but when shifting in or out of $X$ - you get the shift in progress screen... but is thee a drivetrain image as well?? If so, could that stay up if in any 4WD condition?

Last edited by scrice1; 03-17-2017 at 02:12 PM.
post #191 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:40 PM

Garage
We had snow the other day. The roads were good later on in the day when I first left work to make my way home on a 4 lane highway but came across several stretches where the road was snow covered from drifting snow. I reached down without taking my eyes off the road as I had a vehicle in front of me and besides me to turn the 4X4 control knob to Autotrac in case the vehicle senses slippage in the snow covered sections. I got home and when I pulled into my sloped snow covered driveway, the rear wheels spun a little with the diff lock engaging. Pulled up to the garage, turned the vehicle off, opened the door, and a chime started dinging for the lights being on. Looked down behind the steering wheel and I turned the light knob from Auto to On instead of the 4wd knob. I managed to get the right knob in the morning on the way to work. This is what I was concerned about. In regards to my filing a concern with GM Customer Service, it was acknowledged that I did but I have been blown off each time I have e-mailed, on line chatted, or called. My concern was given a case number, but nobody can give me any details about the findings.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic

Last edited by caseih; 03-17-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #192 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Garage
This member went a few extra steps in order to indicate 4X4 status.

i cant understand why most people dont complain

2016 Z71, Laser Blue (sometimes Purple), CC, LB, 4WD.
WeaterTech Floor Liners, Mud Flaps & Vent Visors.
Ionic Billet Running Boards.
Fold-A-Cover G4 Tonneau Cover.
Line-X Spray-On Bedliner.

post #193 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 AM

This is honestly the single largest item stopping me from buying a new Colorado. I just can't get over how stupid they are to omit a dash light.
JScottM likes this.
post #194 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrwerks View Post
This member went a few extra steps in order to indicate 4X4 status.

i cant understand why most people dont complain
That little 4x4 indicator is ok but OMG the cheap kitchen cabinet drawer handle has got to go! Really?

post #195 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartin00 View Post
This is honestly the single largest item stopping me from buying a new Colorado. I just can't get over how stupid they are to omit a dash light.
Seriously
post #196 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartin00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Seriously
While to some it may seem like this is a ridiculous reason to not buy one of the Twins, and I speak as a 2WD owner, it makes sense to me.

If everytime you get in your truck you are going to worry about the status of your 4WD, then it will not be an enjoyable experience. Please go buy something else.

Sadly, I think you will find your other mid size truck options lacking.

*Frontier - a relic of antiquity.

*Tacoma - A relic with a fresh coat of paint. Toyota never allowed me to sit in a 2014 or 2015 Taco when I was shopping, but those seats look very uncomfortable.

*Ridgeline - There is a whole thread on this one, so I should leave it alone. Maybe it meets your needs.

Hang in there. Ford is bringing back the Ranger, Jeep a Wrangler-based truck. Maybe Nissan & Toyota will decide to move out of the stone age of mid-size trucks.

And who knows, maybe GM will re-design the instrument panel & dash on the Twins.

If I had to list the biggest failures on the design of the Twins, it would be this lack of a 4WD indicator and the performance of the 6 speed transmission with the V6. It appears they fixed one of these issues in 2017, maybe 2018 will resolve the other.
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #197 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
If I had to list the biggest failures on the design of the Twins, it would be this lack of a 4WD indicator and the performance of the 6 speed transmission with the V6. It appears they fixed one of these issues in 2017, maybe 2018 will resolve the other.
Every single vehicle has it's idiosyncrasies, if you allow minor issues to bother you then you'll never be happy.

Also you have fallen victim of car forums, I have the 6-speed and never had trouble with it, smooth as silk...and I have a couple of friends with twins who say the same.

And there's a message that appears on the display when shifting in/out of 4wd that appears, I have never found being in 4wd and not knowing to be a problem. And if you are, big deal, just shift out of it...unlike older 4x4's you can shift in and out of 4wd hi on the fly in most modern day trucks.

Our trucks are not delicate flowers that can't handle 4wd for extended periods of time.
post #198 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Every single vehicle has it's idiosyncrasies, if you allow minor issues to bother you then you'll never be happy.

Also you have fallen victim of car forums, I have the 6-speed and never had trouble with it, smooth as silk...and I have a couple of friends with twins who say the same.

And there's a message that appears on the display when shifting in/out of 4wd that appears, I have never found being in 4wd and not knowing to be a problem. And if you are, big deal, just shift out of it...unlike older 4x4's you can shift in and out of 4wd hi on the fly in most modern day trucks.

Our trucks are not delicate flowers that can't handle 4wd for extended periods of time.
Hey, I love my 2015. I am just being honest about the truck. There should be some way of determining your 4WD status without standing on your head and peering under the steering wheel as you drive down the road.

The transmission shifting for 2015s was not as smooth as we would like.

I think these are the two biggest issues with the trucks. Not having Homelink, push button start, toilet paper dispenser, and some of the other complaints logged around here are not failures in my eyes,and in many cases, are conscious decisions by GM.

post #199 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM

I will agree that Chevrolet should of put an indicator somewhere. I purchased my 2016 in November and was really surprised that I had to stick my head behind the steering wheel to see if the truck was in 4WD or not! They need an icon on the dash!
post #200 of 214 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM

After 40+ years of driving, multiple vehicles, most of them 4x4's, I don't think I had a truck that was perfect out of the gate. It always takes me a month or two to manipulate the various buttons, switches etc without taking my eyes off the road. That being said, I do miss the dash 4WD light, but doesn't bug me that much. Due to my seating position and steering wheel setting, the 4wd dial is perfectly framed in the bottom half of the steering wheel. A simple glance tells me where I am, and it have become my start-up process subconsciously. My only issue is with my tired eyes, I wish the indicator light on the dial was a tad larger or color coded.

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode