GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!! - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
I really EXPECT the GM "members" of this forum to make an intelligent response. Either it CAN be done on the DIC, or it can't, AND the reason why. If enough voices on this forum hammer away, we will get a response.

Given it's the weekend, perhaps we could get a response from GM next week? Hey, I'd even be willing to PAY a little for the upgrade.

Perhaps some of the tuner vendors might be able to hack the DIC??
KY Red Rock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Two things that have become automatic now when I start the truck is check the 4X4 knob and turn off the Auto Headlights. I'm actually becoming aware now when my knee hits the knob.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #23 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbguy View Post
I really EXPECT the GM "members" of this forum to make an intelligent response. Either it CAN be done on the DIC, or it can't, AND the reason why. If enough voices on this forum hammer away, we will get a response.

Given it's the weekend, perhaps we could get a response from GM next week? Hey, I'd even be willing to PAY a little for the upgrade.

Perhaps some of the tuner vendors might be able to hack the DIC??
They're already fully aware of the 'complaint/issue'.

You're probably better off having a Protest on their front lawn. Everyone is doing it!!

Sarcasm....Sorry, I couldn't resist

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

post #24 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Seems like it would be easy enough for GM to program in one of those unused idiot lights next to the analog gauges...No?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
No auto. I have the Colorado, so I'm talking 4 high.
Ah yes, I tested it today. It does indeed behave like that. You are absolutely correct, it needs an indicator in the DIC. It seems unbelievable they didn't do that. And the 17 is still the same they say?

You need one of these. Simple but effective. I wired mine so green is 2WD, blue 4H, red 4L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x4.JPG (131.9 KB, 164 views)
Janster and Binkers78 like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #26 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 PM

GM Customer Service regularly reads this forum. But that will not likely accomplish much.
Better off to find a GM engineering and staff list, plant manger, assistant plant manager in Wentszville and write them a polite email or letter outlining both the detrimental mechanical effects of this issue and, more importantly, the Safety aspects.
Locking the wheels up in 4WD
can stall the vehicle in a turn on dry pavement and also do damage to the drive train. If this happens in traffic, an accident and Personal Injury could likely result.

With the number of trucks on 3 shifts that GM is cranking out, a simple move of an indicator light or, adding an additional one, is a cheap fix. There are little to no rebates on these hot selling trucks. That means thousands in profit on each truck sold.

GM is more likely to respond to a Safety issue than a convenience or nuisance concern.
CrashFix and KY Red Rock like this.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-11-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #27 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
GM Customer Service regularly reads this forum. But that will not likely accomplish much.
Better off to find a GM engineering and staff list, plant manger, assistant plant manager in Wentszville and write them a polite email or letter outlining both the detrimental mechanical effects of this issue and, more importantly, the Safety aspects.
can stall the vehicle in a turn on dry pavement and also do damage to the drive train. If this happens in traffic, an accident and Personal Injury could likely result.

With the number of trucks on 3 shifts that GM is cranking out, a simple move of an indicator light or, adding an additional one, is a cheap fix. There are little to no rebates on these hot selling trucks. That means thousands in profit on each truck sold.

GM is more likely to respond to a Safety issue than a convenience or nuisance concern.
A safety concern is indeed a great "ploy".

An aftermarket add-on as done by others (multicolored LED added to the dash somewhere) is a solution. That requires some skills that we may or may not all have.

A simple software upgrade by GM is a MUCH better solution (IF it can be done). I bet there were some past arguments in GM engineering about this very subject...

Still, I would REALLY like GM's response!
post #28 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Did the same thing after the same snowfall in NY. Felt like a big dummy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
2016 Colorado crew cab short box 4X4. We love our truck, but...
I know this has been addressed before by our members. And I know member warpster did a DIY add-on and we thank him for that. But my rant is aimed at you GM! We shouldn't have to tear apart our new dash to correct something that should have been easily engineered at the factory.
You could have just moved the 4X4 knob up in plain view and that would have sufficed. But as we all know, that knob is obscured by the steering wheel.
I had my first incident yesterday concerning this. We had used 4X4 during a snowfall here in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, the knob was left on 4 wheel high. My wife drove it on a short shopping run the next day after the roads were clear. I guess she didn't notice that the 4X4 was engaged.
The second day later I drove about 5 miles and had to make a sharp turn at low speed. That's when I felt that dreaded "I'm in 4X4 on dry pavement" feeling. I looked down and around the steering wheel and saw that tiny light on the knob. I was not happy.
So, GM, when are you going to add a fix for this? How much strain on our drivetrains are we going to put up with? What about the people who are not that technical and keep driving in 4X4 on dry pavement? How much damage will they do without even knowing better?
Rant over...but not happy...,
Joe
post #29 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
Seems like it would be easy enough for GM to program in one of those unused idiot lights next to the analog gauges...No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Ah yes, I tested it today. It does indeed behave like that. You are absolutely correct, it needs an indicator in the DIC. It seems unbelievable they didn't do that. And the 17 is still the same they say?

You need one of these. Simple but effective. I wired mine so green is 2WD, blue 4H, red 4L.
In the case of the OP, if it were me , you could have a flashing light on the dash and my wife would still not see it , or even put it back in 2wd , thinking i must have left it on for a reason
DrewNJ and JScottM like this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #30 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
They're spending money & time over-engineering in all the wrong places.

Right now, they're probably working on a program that'll read the outside temperature, connect with the local forecast predictions, A camera to SEE it snowing - and it would automatically engage your truck in 4WD on its own.

And you still wouldnt know you were in Auto or 4wd because there's no indicator
Janster and JScottM like this.

Last edited by lqdchkn; 02-11-2017 at 08:59 PM.
post #31 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
Well - nothing is (usually) 'simple' but I'd agree that it's highly likely that it COULD be fixed via a software update given how everything else on the truck is connected.
I agree but GM has 209,000 employees, probably double that in contractors and been building cars for 100+ years. Saying it's too difficult to add an icon to a digital computer display, but are able to build driverless cars, is not something I'll accept. To be honest because this a safety concern, may damage the vehicle's drive train and is such a top complaint I'm surprised they haven't addressed it yet. This type of lack of attention to detail and neglect of their customer base is exactly why they went bankrupt once already.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #32 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post

If anyone does take the initiative to contact the Wentzville plant, engineering and both the plant manager and the assistant plant manager would be a good path.

Also, if any of you can come up with a useless or unnecessary/redundant, etc, part that can be eliminated, it would be a good "trade" to resolve the 4X4 indicator issue and provide a better or more visible location. I have seen where an extra rubber bumper under the hood was not needed and saved $1.10 plus installation and inventory. You multiply that times 200,000 vehicle a year and the savings becomes significant. And those savings could be used for something else.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-11-2017 at 09:54 PM.
post #33 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to CliffZ71 Send a message via MSN to CliffZ71
Quote:

Looks easier than pulling your dash bezel apart, how did you do it?

2016 Summit White Colorado CC Z71 window tint, bug deflector, magnaflow muffler, zone 1.25 level,air dam delete, weather tech no drill mud flaps, Husky floor liners, A.R.E topper, Baja Designs Squadron R Sport amber LED fogs, Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors, 35W D2S 5500 bulbs
post #34 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 PM

Garage
Just picked up my 2017 last night so should be getting a survey. I'm going to complain about the lack of the indicator and the dim headlights compared to my Equinox. One complaint will not sound any alarms but a hundred or more will get somebody's attention if we hint of a safety issue.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #35 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffZ71 View Post
Looks easier than pulling your dash bezel apart, how did you do it?
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...full-color-led

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...-resistor-pk-5

4WD indicator DIY

instead of using his little board just use the round LED glued in a hole. Easy. You have to remove the dash bezel which is very easy too. (unless you want to put it somewhere else) If you can solder and drill a hole you are good to go. You can put the LED anywhere you want. I put it there because I felt it would make since to be near the PRNDL indicator. Use resistors to get the brightness you want, I think I used a few 1k's in series. get some 10k's too because that LED is bright.
Janster likes this.

post #36 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...full-color-led

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...-resistor-pk-5

4WD indicator DIY

instead of using his little board just use the round LED glued in a hole. Easy. You have to remove the dash bezel which is very easy too. (unless you want to put it somewhere else) If you can solder and drill a hole you are good to go. You can put the LED anywhere you want. I put it there because I felt it would make since to be near the PRNDL indicator. Use resistors to get the brightness you want, I think I used a few 1k's in series. get some 10k's too because that LED is bright.
Nice!! I should ask my husband - he makes circuit boards for a living. Even if you had ONE light that's ON when in 2WD, is better than nothing at all. Too many projects on ones mind - not enough time!! LOL
JScottM likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #37 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM

I've gotten into the habit that if I used 4x4 I switch it back to 2WD when I park. Not having a clear 4WD indicator is a minor inconvenience IMHO, more important things in life to worry about.
post #38 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
^It is something to worry about if your knee hits the knob knocking it into 4wd and you don't even realize it. I'm with the OP on this one.... GM made it so that I get an email every time a bulb goes out, but no kind of notification that it's in 4wd. Seems kind of silly
KY Red Rock and Janster like this.

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |
| BDS-SUSPENSIONS | KILLERWAXX SOCAL |
| LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS | RHINO-RACK |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
BDS Suspensions 7" lift | 22x12 -44 Grid Off-Road GD-4
325/50/22 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

post #39 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I've gotten into the habit that if I used 4x4 I switch it back to 2WD when I park. Not having a clear 4WD indicator is a minor inconvenience IMHO, more important things in life to worry about.
You're absolutely right..... However - I will never remember to change it back to 2WD when I park because I am thinking about those *more important things in life* to worry about.

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND is totally true in my case (or most people) and why an indicator light is most useful.
KY Red Rock likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #40 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

is there an unused light in there? Now that I think about it when you put it in 4 low 2 lights come on right? traction control and something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode