GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!! - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbguy View Post
I really EXPECT the GM "members" of this forum to make an intelligent response. Either it CAN be done on the DIC, or it can't, AND the reason why. If enough voices on this forum hammer away, we will get a response.

Given it's the weekend, perhaps we could get a response from GM next week? Hey, I'd even be willing to PAY a little for the upgrade.

Perhaps some of the tuner vendors might be able to hack the DIC??
I don't think its that easy. Apparently the DIC and BCM were not designed to do it, so I would think it can't simply be "added".
As far as tuners, I'm not positive but I think they can only change ECM values. So that and the fact that the BCM is the device that controls lights/indicators I would think no. Plus you can't change a value that isn't there. As an example, you could change how fast the left turn signal flashes but you cant add a turn signal with software alone. You could however, as an example, make the left turn signal indicator come on when in 4x4.
GraniteBlue05 and Janster like this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM

IMO gm did not do a whole lot of thinking thru on the design of these trucks nor much in the way of real world test driving before production

Last edited by pltctycanyon; 02-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.
post #43 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Did the first generation Colorados and Canyons have a 4x4 indicator?
And what about all the other GM products? Silverado/Sierra, equinox, Suburban,Yukon,Terrain, etc?

post #44 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
The real issue is the 4x4 change knob is VERY well hidden from the driver's view by the steering wheel. If I am driving, and wish to check what mode I am in, I must remove my gaze from the road, and crane my head, SIGNIFICANTLY, to see the change knob. Just really DUMB positioning. All my other GM 4x4's had the change knob/buttons clearly in my view with a short glance...

Perhaps that enough of a safety concern to move GM along?
KY Red Rock likes this.

Last edited by turbguy; 02-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
post #45 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbguy View Post
The real issue is the 4x4 change knob is VERY well hidden from the driver's view by the steering wheel. If I am driving, and wish to check what mode I am in, I must remove my gaze from the road, and crane my head, SIGNIFICANTLY, to see the change knob. Just really DUMB positioning. All my other GM 4x4's had the change knob clearly in my view with a short glance...

Perhaps that enough of a safety concern to move GM along?
Very good point. It only takes a couple seconds and before you know it...someone gets hurt.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #46 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Ive done it, too. Cant understand why they didnt put an indicator light on the dash. My 1990 Jeep Wrangler had one. SMH.....

2016 GMC Canyon SLE 4x4, Onyx Black
post #47 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
Did the first generation Colorados and Canyons have a 4x4 indicator?
And what about all the other GM products? Silverado/Sierra, equinox, Suburban,Yukon,Terrain, etc?
Yes, with the first generation 4x4 buttons being on the top of the center stack of the dash. You could always see them. Never a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2010_chevrolet_colorado-pic.png (372.3 KB, 91 views)
KY Red Rock and joeydiver like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 02-12-2017 at 08:41 PM.
post #48 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Yes, with the first generation 4x4 buttons being on the top of the center stack of the dash. You could always see them. Never a problem.
Damn! So why did they screw this one up?
Someone needs to get fired!
Should have left well enough alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
JBT and KY Red Rock like this.
post #49 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:54 AM

It's def my priority design gripe. I have auto in mine and I left it on for a while I presume, I noticed I was getting like 25 mpg hwy and figured it was in regen. On the return 160 miles, I noticed AUTO was engaged.....turned it off and went to 29.5.

My 14' Silverado was at least in a better spot, I've hit this one with a knee I guess twice.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #50 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Can we draft an online petition that we can all electronically sign and send it to the appropriate people? It would need to be crafted well and just a "bitch letter". I would think this should be possible. The question then is...whom do we send it to???
KY Red Rock likes this.

-DANO-

2105 Black Z71 CrewCab
3.6 V6, 4x4
Low Profile Tonneau Cover
"Bullet" Spray-In Bedliner
Factory Running Boards
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Phillips H11 X-tremeVision Low Beam Bulbs
OPT7 CREE V2 XB-D LED Fog Light Bulbs
Chin Spoiler Removed!
post #51 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANO View Post
Can we draft an online petition that we can all electronically sign and send it to the appropriate people? It would need to be crafted well and just a "bitch letter". I would think this should be possible. The question then is...whom do we send it to???
You need to send your letters to more than one source in order to be effective.

I do not have a 4WD, but I know what has worked for me in the past with another issue. First, find out email and mailing address of BOTH the Wentzville GM plant manager AND assistant plant manager. I would also search out a list of Chevrolet/GM Divisions corporate president, heads of engineering sections and consumer safety. You could also throw in some to Customer Service, but they are a largely PR feel good department that, to me, is not listened to or taken seriously. A dog and pony show.

It also might not hurt to send letters to one or more consumer safety watch dog institutions.
post #52 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Looks like this should do the trick...

https://www.ipetitions.com/

Now we need to draft the text, get signatures, and send it on...

-DANO-

2105 Black Z71 CrewCab
3.6 V6, 4x4
Low Profile Tonneau Cover
"Bullet" Spray-In Bedliner
Factory Running Boards
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Phillips H11 X-tremeVision Low Beam Bulbs
OPT7 CREE V2 XB-D LED Fog Light Bulbs
Chin Spoiler Removed!
post #53 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Garage
I just posted our concern to GM's corporate site with a link to this thread, basic description of concern, and asked who to contact. Most likely will get a Dear John letter back, but you never know since I used the word "Safety".

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #54 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM

This is even a complaint on the full size trucks. The only indication is on the knob. When I had my 2014 sierra, part of my "get in and go" routine was checking the knob to make sure I was in 2hi. Just in case.

My dad's 2014 Ram has a light on the DIC that shows if you have 4x4 engaged.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6L, 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel
post #55 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:35 PM

Wrangler has an indicator for 4WD and 4WD Lo on instrument panel and then there is that rather noticeable shift lever between the front seats.

Might be interesting to see what Fiat does for new design since they seem to be a strong proponent of simple rotational knobs for gear shifting.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #56 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Even a RWD truck guy like me finds this issue annoying. Such a simple fix could make everyone happy. As for contacting GM, I think the people at the factory care somewhat about the customers, the GM head office, not so much. Here is the email for Darin Copeland, the communications manager at Wentzville. Maybe a polite letter or two might help.

darin.copeland@gm.com

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #57 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
is there an unused light in there? Now that I think about it when you put it in 4 low 2 lights come on right? traction control and something else?
The two unused that come to mind is a swirly line on the tach side, right in the middle at the bottom (no idea what this one is), and what appears to be a lane assist light at the speedo side toward the upper right side.

Never used 4lo but in 4hi one press of the traction control button gives you the first light, hold the button down for a bit gives you the second. I'd even be good with having all traction systems off and both lights on in 4hi.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #58 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Having the 4x4 reset back to 2 high whenever you restart the engine would be a partial cure. The only drawback would be (while driving) when road conditions change, you might forget you're in 4x4 until you make a turn and feel the resistance.
Maybe this partial cure could be programmed into the software.

Last edited by poconojoe; 02-13-2017 at 08:38 PM.
post #59 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 PM

Well I thought all of you were crazy lol..(I was sure the 17's at least had a light)....I checked mine tonight and wow...no indicator except for the button and that tiny itty bitty light on it...(that is an engineering blunder for sure.)

Now the DIC told me it was engaging into 4wd...there is no way that can't be displayed somewhere on the dash...My ram said it plainly with a green 4wd light...

Oh and none of you are crazy... :)
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #60 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
Having the 4x4 reset back to 2 high whenever you restart the engine would be a partial cure. The only drawback would be (while driving) when road conditions change, you might forget you're in 4x4 until you make a turn and feel the resistance.
Maybe this partial cure could be programmed into the software.
Please, NO.
For those that use the 4x4 in the truck to go in areas where 2wd is not enough (not just inclement weather on pavement), this will result in getting stuck because stop and start and stop and start will eventually wind up with trying to start while digging in (or sliding back) while in 2wd.
The simple solution would be to move it back where it was before the stylists decided trucks needed console-mounted shifters and occasionally needed a bench seat in front.
Janster likes this.

08 Inferno Orange Z71 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 I5 32" BFG A/T, no lift
MileMarker Electric winch, SuperSkidz skidplates, Kennesaw Mtn Wincher bumper
Member of MAFWDA & United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode