GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!!

2016 Colorado crew cab short box 4X4. We love our truck, but...
I know this has been addressed before by our members. And I know member warpster did a DIY add-on and we thank him for that. But my rant is aimed at you GM! We shouldn't have to tear apart our new dash to correct something that should have been easily engineered at the factory.
You could have just moved the 4X4 knob up in plain view and that would have sufficed. But as we all know, that knob is obscured by the steering wheel.
I had my first incident yesterday concerning this. We had used 4X4 during a snowfall here in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, the knob was left on 4 wheel high. My wife drove it on a short shopping run the next day after the roads were clear. I guess she didn't notice that the 4X4 was engaged.
The second day later I drove about 5 miles and had to make a sharp turn at low speed. That's when I felt that dreaded "I'm in 4X4 on dry pavement" feeling. I looked down and around the steering wheel and saw that tiny light on the knob. I was not happy.
So, GM, when are you going to add a fix for this? How much strain on our drivetrains are we going to put up with? What about the people who are not that technical and keep driving in 4X4 on dry pavement? How much damage will they do without even knowing better?
Rant over...but not happy...,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Garage
This sure would be nice. Just a little "4High or 4Low" in the corrner of the DIC would work. There is enough room....

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #3 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:53 AM

This is one of my aggravations as well. Of all of the improvements made to the 17's this wasn't one of them, really, GM, really.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax

post #4 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

How about it Bret B.?
post #5 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 AM

I agree fully with this. My dealer told me "It seems like GM is 'nickel and diming' the owners to save small amounts of money on these trucks. Overall the savings add up but they've sacrificed too much in the name of cost." This is coming from they guy trying to sell me the truck! At least he was honest about it..... What say you @GM Customer Service?
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #6 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
I agree fully with this. My dealer told me "It seems like GM is 'nickel and diming' the owners to save small amounts of money on these trucks. Overall the savings add up but they've sacrificed too much in the name of cost." This is coming from they guy trying to sell me the truck! At least he was honest about it..... What say you @GM Customer Service?
They're spending money & time over-engineering in all the wrong places.

Right now, they're probably working on a program that'll read the outside temperature, connect with the local forecast predictions, A camera to SEE it snowing - and it would automatically engage your truck in 4WD on its own.

But wait.....that's what AWD is for (without the over-engineering). LOL
tjs'rado and KY Red Rock like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
That was one of the things I mentioned in the quality survey...It should be there. Having said that I would know in the first 100 yards that my truck was in 4HI when driving. It feels and sounds totally different when engaged. 4auto is another story...I have forgotten it on that before and did not realize until I saw MPG drop.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #8 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
Seems to me GM could issue a simple update to enable the DIC display to show which 2 or 4 drive mode you are in. It already shows when a "change" is being made...
post #9 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Totally agree! It is something that could be easily programmed in the BIM to tell you on the DIC. It shows on the DIC when you turn it on why can't it leave a small icon telling you its engaged?

Lastly please don't tell me that you believe GM customer service will respond on this thread! NOT!!! To tough of a question!!!

"Donorado"

2016 Colorado Red Hot Z71
4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6 V6 w/Trifecta Tune Advantage
post #10 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Garage
Traded in a 2004 Ford Ranger for my new 2017 LT. The 13 year old Ranger had 4X4 HI & Low lights on the dash and the control knob right below the radio in plain site. At least the 2017 in Autotrac mode should be easier on the drivetrain, but still, this is a dumb not to have an indicator or the control knob in a more visible position. That and not being able to deduct the rear seats on a LT Ext. Cab. My Ranger had the XLT Trim but no rear seats with the Value Pkg for some savings.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #11 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybilly View Post
It shows on the DIC when you turn it on why can't it leave a small icon telling you its engaged?
This makes sense! With all the electronics, maybe this could be the fix.
post #12 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Traded in a 2004 Ford Ranger for my new 2017 LT. The 13 year old Ranger had 4X4 HI & Low lights on the dash and the control knob right below the radio in plain site. At least the 2017 in Autotrac mode should be easier on the drivetrain, but still, this is a dumb not to have an indicator or the control knob in a more visible position. That and not being able to deduct the rear seats on a LT Ext. Cab. My Ranger had the XLT Trim but no rear seats with the Value Pkg for some savings.
Yep, previously to my 2016 (high tech) Colorado I owned a 1997 and then a 2008 Ranger. Both had the indicator lights as you said. 1997! That should be antiquated compared to this 2016! And someone posted that it's the same on the 2017 model!
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #13 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Bret B., still waiting! And hoping you can help us here. Come on buddy. Hope you have some pull at corporate GM. Tell us what you think...
post #14 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
That was one of the things I mentioned in the quality survey...It should be there. Having said that I would know in the first 100 yards that my truck was in 4HI when driving. It feels and sounds totally different when engaged. 4auto is another story...I have forgotten it on that before and did not realize until I saw MPG drop.
I have to agree with you, I too will notice almost immediately when in 4HI, and soon after that if in 4Auto. It does feel different as all my 4x4's have in the past.
But with that said an indicator would be a nice reminder. I don't foresee my wife ever driving my truck in conditions requiring 4WD so I don't have that concern.
OP I do see where you are coming from because of the potential drivetrain damage.
bcuzucant and KY Red Rock like this.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch with Synthetic line, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

post #15 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
2016 Colorado crew cab short box 4X4. We love our truck, but...
I know this has been addressed before by our members. And I know member warpster did a DIY add-on and we thank him for that. But my rant is aimed at you GM! We shouldn't have to tear apart our new dash to correct something that should have been easily engineered at the factory.
You could have just moved the 4X4 knob up in plain view and that would have sufficed. But as we all know, that knob is obscured by the steering wheel.
I had my first incident yesterday concerning this. We had used 4X4 during a snowfall here in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, the knob was left on 4 wheel high. My wife drove it on a short shopping run the next day after the roads were clear. I guess she didn't notice that the 4X4 was engaged.
The second day later I drove about 5 miles and had to make a sharp turn at low speed. That's when I felt that dreaded "I'm in 4X4 on dry pavement" feeling. I looked down and around the steering wheel and saw that tiny light on the knob. I was not happy.
So, GM, when are you going to add a fix for this? How much strain on our drivetrains are we going to put up with? What about the people who are not that technical and keep driving in 4X4 on dry pavement? How much damage will they do without even knowing better?
Rant over...but not happy...,
Joe
Interesting. Do you mean it was left in Auto? I don't have auto. I did notice after playing with that thing while doing the indicator install it wont shift into 4x4 if you turn it on before the key is on. You must turn it off then on again. I've never tried leaving it on then parking it and starting it again. (I do have a little LED by the PRNDL now that is green when it is in 4x2 though thanks to Radio Shack and no thanks to GM.) :)

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #16 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Interesting. Do you mean it was left in Auto? I don't have auto. I did notice after playing with that thing while doing the indicator install it wont shift into 4x4 if you turn it on before the key is on. You must turn it off then on again. I've never tried leaving it on then parking it and starting it again. (I do have a little LED by the PRNDL now that is green when it is in 4x2 though thanks to Radio Shack and no thanks to GM.) :)
No auto. I have the Colorado, so I'm talking 4 high.
post #17 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybilly View Post
Totally agree! It is something that could be easily programmed in the BIM to tell you on the DIC. It shows on the DIC when you turn it on why can't it leave a small icon telling you its engaged?
You'd think it would be easy....but maybe not. Think of it this way - The DIC displays a crap-load of different information. We flip thru page after page of information that we can display - from Radio into, music info, fuel mileage, engine temp, etc.

For them to 'program' a simple icon - would require reprogramming EVERY SINGLE page in the DIC in order for that icon to show up 100% of the time no matter what page you're viewing.

Or - design the overall size of the DIC to allow for the icon at the top while shrinking the rest of the viewing window.

It's probably MUCH easier to put it on the main Intellilink display right beside the outside temp. But then again - who would look there for it? LOL
Toughsox likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #18 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Humm...I wonder if the whole 4x4 knob can just be relocated to a more visible spot? Probably have to extend the wiring. If someone would make a plug and play harness to do so, the wiring wouldn't have to be "butchered".
HELLO GM!
Janster likes this.
post #19 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:58 PM

It's clear GM does not care about their customers or this would have been addressed long ago. It's a simple software fix can could be flashed at your next oil change.
post #20 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMuscle! View Post
It's clear GM does not care about their customers or this would have been addressed long ago. It's a simple software fix can could be flashed at your next oil change.
Well - nothing is (usually) 'simple' but I'd agree that it's highly likely that it COULD be fixed via a software update given how everything else on the truck is connected.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink

Last edited by RandyNC; 02-11-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode