Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

GM...I know you're watching...No 4X4 indicator in plain view!!

34K views 213 replies 69 participants last post by  monkeyracer 
#1 ·
2016 Colorado crew cab short box 4X4. We love our truck, but...
I know this has been addressed before by our members. And I know member warpster did a DIY add-on and we thank him for that. But my rant is aimed at you GM! We shouldn't have to tear apart our new dash to correct something that should have been easily engineered at the factory.
You could have just moved the 4X4 knob up in plain view and that would have sufficed. But as we all know, that knob is obscured by the steering wheel.
I had my first incident yesterday concerning this. We had used 4X4 during a snowfall here in Pennsylvania. Needless to say, the knob was left on 4 wheel high. My wife drove it on a short shopping run the next day after the roads were clear. I guess she didn't notice that the 4X4 was engaged.
The second day later I drove about 5 miles and had to make a sharp turn at low speed. That's when I felt that dreaded "I'm in 4X4 on dry pavement" feeling. I looked down and around the steering wheel and saw that tiny light on the knob. I was not happy.
So, GM, when are you going to add a fix for this? How much strain on our drivetrains are we going to put up with? What about the people who are not that technical and keep driving in 4X4 on dry pavement? How much damage will they do without even knowing better?
Rant over...but not happy...,
Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
This is one of my aggravations as well. Of all of the improvements made to the 17's this wasn't one of them, really, GM, really.
:???:

#5 ·
I agree fully with this. My dealer told me "It seems like GM is 'nickel and diming' the owners to save small amounts of money on these trucks. Overall the savings add up but they've sacrificed too much in the name of cost." This is coming from they guy trying to sell me the truck! At least he was honest about it..... What say you @GM Customer Service?

Reactions: KY Red Rock
#6 ·
They're spending money & time over-engineering in all the wrong places.

Right now, they're probably working on a program that'll read the outside temperature, connect with the local forecast predictions, A camera to SEE it snowing - and it would automatically engage your truck in 4WD on its own.

But wait.....that's what AWD is for (without the over-engineering). LOL

#7 ·
That was one of the things I mentioned in the quality survey...It should be there. Having said that I would know in the first 100 yards that my truck was in 4HI when driving. It feels and sounds totally different when engaged. 4auto is another story...I have forgotten it on that before and did not realize until I saw MPG drop.

#14 ·
I have to agree with you, I too will notice almost immediately when in 4HI, and soon after that if in 4Auto. It does feel different as all my 4x4's have in the past.
But with that said an indicator would be a nice reminder. I don't foresee my wife ever driving my truck in conditions requiring 4WD so I don't have that concern.
OP I do see where you are coming from because of the potential drivetrain damage.

#9 ·
Totally agree! It is something that could be easily programmed in the BIM to tell you on the DIC. It shows on the DIC when you turn it on why can't it leave a small icon telling you its engaged?

Lastly please don't tell me that you believe GM customer service will respond on this thread! NOT!!! To tough of a question!!!:censored::censored::censored:

#10 ·
Traded in a 2004 Ford Ranger for my new 2017 LT. The 13 year old Ranger had 4X4 HI & Low lights on the dash and the control knob right below the radio in plain site. At least the 2017 in Autotrac mode should be easier on the drivetrain, but still, this is a dumb not to have an indicator or the control knob in a more visible position. That and not being able to deduct the rear seats on a LT Ext. Cab. My Ranger had the XLT Trim but no rear seats with the Value Pkg for some savings.

#15 ·
Interesting. Do you mean it was left in Auto? I don't have auto. I did notice after playing with that thing while doing the indicator install it wont shift into 4x4 if you turn it on before the key is on. You must turn it off then on again. I've never tried leaving it on then parking it and starting it again. (I do have a little LED by the PRNDL now that is green when it is in 4x2 though thanks to Radio Shack and no thanks to GM.) :)

#20 · (Edited)
Well - nothing is (usually) 'simple' but I'd agree that it's highly likely that it COULD be fixed via a software update given how everything else on the truck is connected.

#21 ·
I really EXPECT the GM "members" of this forum to make an intelligent response. Either it CAN be done on the DIC, or it can't, AND the reason why. If enough voices on this forum hammer away, we will get a response.

Given it's the weekend, perhaps we could get a response from GM next week? Hey, I'd even be willing to PAY a little for the upgrade.

Perhaps some of the tuner vendors might be able to hack the DIC??

#29 ·
Ah yes, I tested it today. It does indeed behave like that. You are absolutely correct, it needs an indicator in the DIC. It seems unbelievable they didn't do that. And the 17 is still the same they say?

You need one of these. Simple but effective. I wired mine so green is 2WD, blue 4H, red 4L.
In the case of the OP, if it were me , you could have a flashing light on the dash and my wife would still not see it , or even put it back in 2wd , thinking i must have left it on for a reason:laugh::laugh:

#26 · (Edited)
GM Customer Service regularly reads this forum. But that will not likely accomplish much.
Better off to find a GM engineering and staff list, plant manger, assistant plant manager in Wentszville and write them a polite email or letter outlining both the detrimental mechanical effects of this issue and, more importantly, the Safety aspects.
Locking the wheels up in 4WD
can stall the vehicle in a turn on dry pavement and also do damage to the drive train. If this happens in traffic, an accident and Personal Injury could likely result.

With the number of trucks on 3 shifts that GM is cranking out, a simple move of an indicator light or, adding an additional one, is a cheap fix. There are little to no rebates on these hot selling trucks. That means thousands in profit on each truck sold.

GM is more likely to respond to a Safety issue than a convenience or nuisance concern.

#27 ·
A safety concern is indeed a great "ploy".

An aftermarket add-on as done by others (multicolored LED added to the dash somewhere) is a solution. That requires some skills that we may or may not all have.

A simple software upgrade by GM is a MUCH better solution (IF it can be done). I bet there were some past arguments in GM engineering about this very subject...

Still, I would REALLY like GM's response!

#28 ·
Did the same thing after the same snowfall in NY. Felt like a big dummy...

#34 ·
Just picked up my 2017 last night so should be getting a survey. I'm going to complain about the lack of the indicator and the dim headlights compared to my Equinox. One complaint will not sound any alarms but a hundred or more will get somebody's attention if we hint of a safety issue.

#38 ·
^It is something to worry about if your knee hits the knob knocking it into 4wd and you don't even realize it. I'm with the OP on this one.... GM made it so that I get an email every time a bulb goes out, but no kind of notification that it's in 4wd. Seems kind of silly

#44 · (Edited)
The real issue is the 4x4 change knob is VERY well hidden from the driver's view by the steering wheel. If I am driving, and wish to check what mode I am in, I must remove my gaze from the road, and crane my head, SIGNIFICANTLY, to see the change knob. Just really DUMB positioning. All my other GM 4x4's had the change knob/buttons clearly in my view with a short glance...

Perhaps that enough of a safety concern to move GM along?

#45 ·
The real issue is the 4x4 change knob is VERY well hidden from the driver's view by the steering wheel. If I am driving, and wish to check what mode I am in, I must remove my gaze from the road, and crane my head, SIGNIFICANTLY, to see the change knob. Just really DUMB positioning. All my other GM 4x4's had the change knob clearly in my view with a short glance...

Perhaps that enough of a safety concern to move GM along?
Very good point. It only takes a couple seconds and before you know it...someone gets hurt.

#49 ·
It's def my priority design gripe. I have auto in mine and I left it on for a while I presume, I noticed I was getting like 25 mpg hwy and figured it was in regen. On the return 160 miles, I noticed AUTO was engaged.....turned it off and went to 29.5.

My 14' Silverado was at least in a better spot, I've hit this one with a knee I guess twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.