Swapped OPT7 to Cyclops LED headlight bulbs - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
Just poked around a bit under the hood to see what might be involved in this. Drivers side is easy, the headlamp housing access ports are wide open. Passenger side...not so much. There's this odd, black rubber panel that wraps from the core support around onto the passenger side inner fender. Doesn't look like it just pops out easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Cargill View Post
From what I have read, I head its easier to go through the wheel well on that side. Just loosen the plastic on the wheel well you don't even have to take it all the way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The black panel under the hood pulls back very easily. Pull out a retainer or two, pull the hose retainer out of the panel, and just flex it out of the way.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Exhaust
DSP4 tuned by Innovative Diesel
Lowered 3.5/4
Infinity speakers all around, Alpine 10s in Subthump enclosure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Cool. Thanks! I was just looking at it last night in the dark with a small flashlight. I didn't want to muck around with it at all till I got some more information....which you just provided.

Appreciate it.

....I've only upgraded lighting once on a vehicle. An IPF kit for my old XJ (thus far the easiest and best documented vehicle upgrade I've ever done...if they had something for my Canyon, I'd buy it just out of loyalty, but they don't) to upgrade the sealed beam headlamps to H4.

So forgive the simplicity of this but...... between the H11 and 9005...which is the low/high beam?
post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Cool. Thanks! I was just looking at it last night in the dark with a small flashlight. I didn't want to muck around with it at all till I got some more information....which you just provided.

Appreciate it.

....I've only upgraded lighting once on a vehicle. An IPF kit for my old XJ (thus far the easiest and best documented vehicle upgrade I've ever done...if they had something for my Canyon, I'd buy it just out of loyalty, but they don't) to upgrade the sealed beam headlamps to H4.

So forgive the simplicity of this but...... between the H11 and 9005...which is the low/high beam?

H11 low and 9005 high I believe.

papasmurf1958 likes this.

post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Cargill View Post
H11 low and 9005 high I believe.

Correct
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:30 PM

FYI 9005 will just about always be for a high beam and are very popular for that on a lot of different cars. They do not have a 'cap' on the bulb which allows the light to spread 360 and straight out. A 9006 is essentially the same bulb but with a cap that used to popular for low beam. The H11 is similar, capped bulb.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Go to TRS, and see how much for their 2 Stroke LED pairs vs Cyclops individuals...
For those that are too lazy to do that:

Cyclops:
H11 LED's = $64.95 x 2 = $129.90
9005 LED's = $64.95 x 2 = $129.90
Total = $259.80

Morimoto 2 Stroke from TRS:
2 Stroke LED's with H11 Adapter and Anti-Flicker Links = $115 + $5 + $15 = $135
2 Stroke LED's with 9005 Adapter = $115 + $5 = $120
Total = $255

The morimoto's are actually a few bucks cheaper.

Great review though. I plan to use HIDs for the Lows and LEDs for highs.
RatRacer likes this.
post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
FYI 9005 will just about always be for a high beam and are very popular for that on a lot of different cars. They do not have a 'cap' on the bulb which allows the light to spread 360 and straight out. A 9006 is essentially the same bulb but with a cap that used to popular for low beam. The H11 is similar, capped bulb.
Agreed. 9006 low and 9005 high is the most common setup I've ever seen until around 2007 when I started seeing more H11 low and 9005 high vehicles. The H11 lows are IMO superior to all of the older 9006 low setups.

I haven't taken a picture yet, but the Cyclops 9005 LEDs in my high beams are downright outrageous. If you forget to turn off your high beams when someone passes you the other direction you might just x-ray them it's so bright. I've never seen anything like it.
kaiser67 likes this.

Exhaust
Lowered 3.5/4

post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 PM

Well apparently IPF doesn't make a vehicle specific kit for the Canyon....but apparently it's not as involved a swap as the XJ kit I previously described and doesn't require it.

They have a 9005 analog: ///IPF? 351HLB LED HEAD LAMP CONVERSION KIT

and an H11: ///IPF? LED HEAD LAMP CONVERSION KIT

Any input from those of you with experience with these things would be appreciated. Like I said, I have purchased from them in the past and been really pleased...but if the Cyclops is a superior technology I'll go that route.
post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 PM
KMW

The poor Chinese to English translation on the Web site scares me a little! Gives the impression of a low end Chinese knock off company. But that's just based on past personal experiences.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 AM

IPF is a Japanese company. Apparently founded in 1946 and a supplier to a number of JDM mfr's and the global aftermarket.

Last edited by Damn True; 03-02-2017 at 12:23 AM.
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 AM

I've got the 2stroke lows...

They are pretty good, they have pretty noticeable hot spots tbh. My highs are from my WRX and look great. Now on to the fogs!

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

IPF looks like it's double the cost of the Cyclops, which is insane. I haven't tried them, but there is no way they are double the light or quality. Cyclops is the only one I've found that has proven to be worth a premium over basic Amazon $60 bulbs. IPF might be just as good as Cyclops, but I can't see any reason why any LED bulb would be worth the $195 IPF wants.

Exhaust
Lowered 3.5/4

post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM

I just ordered a set of Lumens G7s that came up to about $58 per bulb. 5 yr warranty doesn't sound bad.
I'll see how they do, albeit will be in a reflector lens instead of projector.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
IPF looks like it's double the cost of the Cyclops, which is insane. I haven't tried them, but there is no way they are double the light or quality. Cyclops is the only one I've found that has proven to be worth a premium over basic Amazon $60 bulbs. IPF might be just as good as Cyclops, but I can't see any reason why any LED bulb would be worth the $195 IPF wants.
I wonder if there might be a difference predicated on the fact that IPF is also a supplier to JDM? OE quality housings and such? No idea though if the Cyclops product is of that level or if the delta between the two justify the delta in pricing.
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 AM

My install / demo video of the Cyclops LED bulbs :)

Passenger side added 30 mins due to all the stupid paneling but wasn't too bad. I might do fogs over highbeam next since I have the light bar installed.
Vinolush and Alymik1 like this.
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:14 PM

This is going to be my first Mod I think.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6L, 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM

I went with morimoto not cyclops, but I'd recommend the MOD regardless of brand, it's worth it. Much more output than stock and looks really good while doing it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Question

Quote:
DISCLAIMER. Your results and or opinions may vary...
Few questions about this terrific improvement.

> For fogs, Which Cyclops kit do I need if I would like to have either day white (5000k-5500k)or cool white (6000k-7000k) tone ?

I have halogen housing housings...

> Can I add a Cyclops kit for low?
> What about the one for high?
> if so .. which ones do I need?

Which one will produce scattered light output high or low?

Thanks!
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
DISCLAIMER.

Ok...well I'm definitely going to upgrade my lights...this may be a silly question, but what did you do with that little box that's inline between the bulb and the plug? Does it just hang in the headlamp housing?
post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ok...well I'm definitely going to upgrade my lights...this may be a silly question, but what did you do with that little box that's inline between the bulb and the plug? Does it just hang in the headlamp housing?
There is plenty of room in the housing to close the cover even with all the cords and metal box thingy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode