Swapped OPT7 to Cyclops LED headlight bulbs - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Swapped OPT7 to Cyclops LED headlight bulbs

DISCLAIMER. Your results and or opinions may vary, as all I'm doing here is making an observation out loud

So, I've been running the OPT7 H11 low beams for quite some time. I've also tried Auxbeam, JDM Astar, and ebay lookalike OPT7s in my Colorado. (also, Oracle in the past but not on this vehicle). So far, there's really not any appreciable difference that I can tell. They are all decent and I wouldn't recommend against any them at all. However, I would caution you that my understanding is that the OPT7 is still just a chinese bulb that's marked up as premium when there's nothing special about it. The mass of adapter wiring and the cheap lock ring that lets the bulb rotate inside it when you install it also make it seem cheap. My personal experience is for the money, buy an Auxbeam or equivalent $60 max pair of bulbs.

With my experiences being that the "premium" bulbs aren't really premium at all other than the price, I haven't seen a reason to try another premium bulb in the truck. My awesome experience with Cyclops in my motorcycle got me curious though. Here's a pic of a single H4 Cyclops low beam from my motorcycle, no garage lights on, and my driveway is unlit other than the low beam headlight. You can even see the grass across the street is lit up.

So, I went ahead and pulled the OPT7 bulbs out and installed the Cyclops. I also added high beams just because the color difference of stock high beams bothered me. The OPT7 is brighter in one spot with a nice wide pattern around it that is a little dimmer. The cyclops doesn't have that hot spot, it's the same brightness spread across the entire pattern with the average pattern being brighter than the OPT7.

The big selling point on the Cyclops is the minimal wiring compared to OPT7.

Cyclops bulb plugs into
the igniter box (or whatever it's called) and that plugs into
the truck

OPT7 bulb plugs into
the igniter box that plugs into
the capacitor that plugs into
the adapter harness that plugs into
the truck.

Either way, here's my summary. Most cheap bulbs are close to the same, and are good bulbs. Some expensive bulbs are still just cheap bulbs that are repackaged for more money. Cyclops is the only one I've tried that should be considered premium, and mainly because it's wired to be plug and play with less adapters and other parts to stuff behind your dust cap. Lighting between most of them is the same, although IMO the equal spread of the Cyclops is better and it seems a little brighter overall.

2016 CCSB Duramax

Last edited by onebaddz; 02-14-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to CliffZ71 Send a message via MSN to CliffZ71
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
DISCLAIMER. Your results and or opinions may vary, as all I'm doing here is making an observation out loud

So, I've been running the OPT7 H11 low beams for quite some time. I've also tried Auxbeam, JDM Astar, and ebay lookalike OPT7s in my Colorado. (also, Oracle in the past but not on this vehicle). So far, there's really not any appreciable difference that I can tell. They are all decent and I wouldn't recommend against any them at all. However, I would caution you that my understanding is that the OPT7 is still just a chinese bulb that's marked up as premium when there's nothing special about it. The mass of adapter wiring and the cheap lock ring that lets the bulb rotate inside it when you install it also make it seem cheap. My personal experience is for the money, buy an Auxbeam or equivalent $60 max pair of bulbs.

With my experiences being that the "premium" bulbs aren't really premium at all other than the price, I haven't seen a reason to try another premium bulb in the truck. My awesome experience with Cyclops in my motorcycle got me curious though. Here's a pic of a single H4 Cyclops low beam from my motorcycle, no garage lights on, and my driveway is unlit other than the low beam headlight. You can even see the grass across the street is lit up.

So, I went ahead and pulled the OPT7 bulbs out and installed the Cyclops. I also added high beams just because the color difference of stock high beams bothered me. The OPT7 is brighter in one spot with a nice wide pattern around it that is a little dimmer. The cyclops doesn't have that hot spot, it's the same brightness spread across the entire pattern with the average pattern being brighter than the OPT7.

The big selling point on the Cyclops is the minimal wiring compared to OPT7.

Cyclops bulb plugs into
the igniter box (or whatever it's called) and that plugs into
the truck

OPT7 bulb plugs into
the igniter box that plugs into
the capacitor that plugs into
the adapter harness that plugs into
the truck.

Either way, here's my summary. Most cheap bulbs are close to the same, and are good bulbs. Some expensive bulbs are still just cheap bulbs that are repackaged for more money. Cyclops is the only one I've tried that should be considered premium, and mainly because it's wired to be plug and play with less adapters and other parts to stuff behind your dust cap. Lighting between most of them is the same, although IMO the equal spread of the Cyclops is better and it seems a little brighter overall.

Are you using those in stock HID projector housings? Were did you get them from? Look super clear

2016 Summit White Colorado CC Z71 window tint, bug deflector, magnaflow muffler, zone 1.25 level,air dam delete, weather tech no drill mud flaps, Husky floor liners, A.R.E topper, Baja Designs Squadron R Sport amber LED fogs, Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors, 35W D2S 5500 bulbs
post #3 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffZ71 View Post
Are you using those in stock HID projector housings? Were did you get them from? Look super clear
They are in my factory projectors on the Z71, they were halogen bulbs stock. They are from http://cyclopsadventuresports.com/

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #4 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
They are in my factory projectors on the Z71, they were halogen bulbs stock. They are from http://cyclopsadventuresports.com/
How is your cutoff line and do you get flashed by other drivers? I was going to go the projector retrofit route from TRS but I might not need to now

2016 Summit White Colorado CC Z71 window tint, bug deflector, magnaflow muffler, zone 1.25 level,air dam delete, weather tech no drill mud flaps, Husky floor liners, A.R.E topper, Baja Designs Squadron R Sport amber LED fogs, Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon projectors, 35W D2S 5500 bulbs
post #5 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Where did you locate the igniter box? Did you drill out your dust covers or leave them off?

-DANO-

2015 Black Z71 CrewCab
3.6 V6, 4x4
Low Profile Tonneau Cover
"Bullet" Spray-In Bedliner
Factory Running Boards
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Phillips H11 X-tremeVision Low Beam Bulbs
OPT7 CREE V2 XB-D LED Fog Light Bulbs
Chin Spoiler Removed!
post #6 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How is your cutoff line and do you get flashed by other drivers? I was going to go the projector retrofit route from TRS but I might not need to now
Here is a pic of the cutoff. I have never been flashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANO View Post
Where did you locate the igniter box? Did you drill out your dust covers or leave them off?
It is inside the headlight under the dust cover, there is enough room in there to put it all inside. The OPT7 set had a LOT more wiring and it all fit, so the Cyclops with it's substantially smaller amount of wiring fit very easily.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #7 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:

It is inside the headlight under the dust cover, there is enough room in there to put it all inside. The OPT7 set had a LOT more wiring and it all fit, so the Cyclops with it's substantially smaller amount of wiring fit very easily.
Are you running capacitors for DRL smoothing, or do you not use them/have them defeated?
post #8 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Here is a pic of the cutoff. I have never been flashed.

The one previous picture you took from behind the wheel, was that low beam only or both high and low. By the way, I just ordered the low beam set
muck likes this.

post #9 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Are you running capacitors for DRL smoothing, or do you not use them/have them defeated?
I used them with the OPT7 set, I have not needed them with the Cyclops

Quote:
The one previous picture you took from behind the wheel, was that low beam only or both high and low. By the way, I just ordered the low beam set
Low beam only. I do have the highs too though.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #10 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I used them with the OPT7 set, I have not needed them with the Cyclops

Low beam only. I do have the highs too though.
Awesome, I hope mine will look just as good. If you have fog lights, what are you running in those?

post #11 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 PM

How did you orient the bulbs when you installed them? Up and down or left to right?
Also, the Opt7s say they are 6000k color and the Cylops are 5700k. Do you notice a difference?

post #12 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge10928 View Post
How did you orient the bulbs when you installed them? Up and down or left to right?
Also, the Opt7s say they are 6000k color and the Cylops are 5700k. Do you notice a difference?
I believe you can only install them one way because of the way the tabs on the bulb will line up with the back of the housing.

post #13 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I believe you can only install them one way because of the way the tabs on the bulb will line up with the back of the housing.
The Opt7s are able to be installed with the bulbs either horizontally or vertically so I assume it would be the same for the Cyclops.

post #14 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge10928 View Post
The Opt7s are able to be installed with the bulbs either horizontally or vertically so I assume it would be the same for the Cyclops.
I figured, hence your question to the OP. I should be getting my set tomorrow

post #15 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:53 AM

I might have to get a set of these although I only have an LT so no projector. Do you think they'll still be brighter than my existing lights? My lights are so dim.

-mac
post #16 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

They only go in one way, horizontal, as far as I can tell.

I don't know what they'd look like in the truck's reflector, but my motorcycle pic above is a reflector.
CanyonITHAULS and macr88 like this.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #17 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 AM

Low Beams = H11 or 9005? :D
post #18 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
Low Beams = H11 or 9005? :D
Low beams are H11

post #19 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I bought the opt7 and I was dissapointed, it looked like yours. white but faded.

your new set looks like my HID's, If my HID's fail it looks like I'll get some Cyclops LED's
post #20 of 200 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayan Rosales View Post
I bought the opt7 and I was dissapointed, it looked like yours. white but faded.

your new set looks like my HID's, If my HID's fail it looks like I'll get some Cyclops LED's
Which HID kit do you have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode