Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Diode Dynamics On Colorado...

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  infosvc 
#1 ·
So, On Oct 22 I dropped $750 for led lights and HIDs for my wife's colorado. Upon initial install, one of the relay's for the HID's was bad so we had a delay and Diode Dynamics sent a replacement (via USPS so it took a couple of days) at no charge.

Fast forward to today... I love the Switchback DRL/Turn Signal, Ho-hum on the HID's (we replaced factory fogs with Rigid Industries SAE fogs which are amazing... The tail lights, I have nothing nice to say about the tail lights. We bought 4 HP11 with resistors and today I pulled all for due to 2 being completely dead. 1 flickering and intermittently just not working at all. 1 worked correctly. They have been installed about 3 months and 75% are dead, WTH? I'm sorry, but if I spend $140 on 4 light bulbs, I think they should work a heck of a lot longer than 3 months.

Called Diode Dynamics and their excuse was the prongs are small and probably just not contacting... Prongs are fine on all 3 deads... Also, looked at the resistors and found that one of the wires had completely melted through to the bare wire! Now I have removed all 4 bulbs and resistors and gone back to the factory incandescent bulbs. I will be calling them tomorrow to discuss replacements/refund, and will update if anyone cares... I am annoyed as I replaced every bulb on the vehicle with led or hid from Diode Dynamics thinking I'd never have to touch them again.

Has anyone else had issues with Diode Dynamics? Is this an anomaly or the norm?

Thanks,
Jerod

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had all of mine on for 6+ months and no issues at all. You do know the resistors get hot right? On the install I tuck mine in through the holes behind on the tail lights to keep them away from all the wiring. On the fronts I used zip ties on the wires so that the resistors are suspended mid-air and dont rub up against anything they might melt.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but I'd say its an anomoly.

#3 ·
ive heard mostly positive reviews from diode dynamics, but they offer a 3 year warranty.

Regardless of whether or not they have "small prongs" if you just bought them in Oct, they should be willing to replace no questions asked.

#6 ·
90% Diode Dynamics here and have been for over a year. No issues. When first installed had problems with fit on fog lamps but customer service was extraordinary! I highly recommend them and their products!

#8 ·
I've had about 3 returns with them and they were good about issuing an RMA and replacing my components. As for the resistors, I noticed they did get extremely hot so I moved them to the sheet metal behind the housing and zip tied the resistor leads so the maintain the location. I haven't observed any melting or wear on the ties now that the heat is transferring through metal rather than open air alone.

Reactions: robbpoe
#9 ·
UPDATE:
Ok called today and, while yes, they are replacing the the bulbs and the resistor, they spent most of the call telling me it was install or prongs or "working loose". I couldn't get a word in to say I have photos of the bulbs (assemblies) with some LEDs lit and others dark meaning it has power so the prong theory is out the window. I think the replacements are destined for ebay, as I doubt I will install any more of their product. (Too bad, I'm about to start on my wife's Chevy Cruze Diesel and my Jeep...) He did say you can't let the resistor touch any plastic or wires... well kid's, I am expecting a problem with the fronts soon since there was no place to mount those to that wasn't plastic... When we replace the front bumper I will take a look at the resistor, but that is still away's off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.