Dimensions for SubThump Boxes? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By monkeyracer
  • 1 Post By monkeyracer
  • 1 Post By Prince Leslie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Dimensions for SubThump Boxes?

I am looking to see if anyone here with a Subthump box and a tape measure can help me out.
I want to build my own box with some added features, and it would be nice to use the exterior dimensions from the Subthump box as a starting point. They don't make a box like what I would want, and it's not worth buying a box for dimensions that I am not going to use.

Thanks in advance.
Prince Leslie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Bump... anyone out there want to take a crack at this?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:13 AM

I just made a single 8 box and plan to build some features into it such as storage. It's still a work in progress. More like a rough draft. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Bump... anyone out there want to take a crack at this?

Well . you're the "engineer". -- . . .. .

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Conv Pkgs, Blk/Ashen Gray Leather
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM

I can get the dimensions for you, I just don't know when I will have a chance, I probably can this weekend.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Exhaust
DSP4 tuned by Innovative Diesel
Lowered 3.5/4
Infinity speakers all around, Alpine 10s in Subthump enclosure

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I am looking to see if anyone here with a Subthump box and a tape measure can help me out.
I want to build my own box with some added features, and it would be nice to use the exterior dimensions from the Subthump box as a starting point. They don't make a box like what I would want, and it's not worth buying a box for dimensions that I am not going to use.

Thanks in advance.
I don't get it. Why do you want dimensions from another box if you are building your own? Unless you are using 6" woofers or something it won't be too big. Back in my car audio days we built the box as large as possible to fit where you want it. You know? Has something changed? Or are you wanting to build it just like the Subthump one for some reason?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
I don't get it. Why do you want dimensions from another box if you are building your own? Unless you are using 6" woofers or something it won't be too big. Back in my car audio days we built the box as large as possible to fit where you want it. You know? Has something changed? Or are you wanting to build it just like the Subthump one for some reason?
To be honest, it is because I have a baby seat installed right now, and don't want to take the effort of pulling that out, removing the plastic cover and metal bar under the seat to measure out what might be the right size, then reinstall everything, build the box, uninstall everything, test fit, see I made a simple mistake, reinstall everything, rebuild the box, etc. you see where I am going with this...
I figured it would be easy enough for someone to grab a few quick dimensions from the box we already know fits.

What I want to build will be a single woofer with amp space, but also maintain some storage space that I can access without having to flip up the seats (again, because of the baby seats that will be installed).

Back in my car audio days, I drove cars with trunks or SUVs/hatchbacks with cargo areas, so you could build a simple square box by just taking 3 measurements (L x W x H). The most complicated part I needed in those cars was a hinged panel that covered a storage area and provided protection for the speakers from the other items that might be rolling around in the trunk. That panel was contour conforming to the trunk wall and hinges.

Obviously with these trucks, really the only place to throw a sub and amp is under the rear seat, and since both baby seats will prevent me from pretty much ever using that space, I might as well use it for a sub box.
JScottM likes this.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 03-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
To be honest, it is because I have a baby seat installed right now, and don't want to take the effort of pulling that out, removing the plastic cover and metal bar under the seat to measure out what might be the right size, then reinstall everything, build the box, uninstall everything, test fit, see I made a simple mistake, reinstall everything, rebuild the box, etc. you see where I am going with this...
I figured it would be easy enough for someone to grab a few quick dimensions from the box we already know fits.

What I want to build will be a single woofer with amp space, but also maintain some storage space that I can access without having to flip up the seats (again, because of the baby seats that will be installed).

Back in my car audio days, I drove cars with trunks or SUVs/hatchbacks with cargo areas, so you could build a simple square box by just taking 3 measurements (L x W x H). The most complicated part I needed in those cars was a hinged panel that covered a storage area and provided protection for the speakers from the other items that might be rolling around in the trunk. That panel was contour conforming to the trunk wall and hinges.

Obviously with these trucks, really the only place to throw a sub and amp is under the rear seat, and since both baby seats will prevent me from pretty much ever using that space, I might as well use it for a sub box.
I don't think basic dimensions will get you where you want to be due to specific shapes you are going to have to build. It's gonna require a truck to be present.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Exhaust
DSP4 tuned by Innovative Diesel
Lowered 3.5/4
Infinity speakers all around, Alpine 10s in Subthump enclosure

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
I don't think basic dimensions will get you where you want to be due to specific shapes you are going to have to build. It's gonna require a truck to be present.
The box is a prismatic shape (ignoring the inset for the subs, my box will be a little different there anyway). I would only need 7 dimensions to build the shape of the box.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:02 PM

PM Sent

2015 Colorado Z71 Cyber Grey
Bose Nav System Upgraded with Kicker Speakers
Groundshaker Dual Sub box with 2 10" Rockford RDS2D Powered by Rockford Prime 500w
Tinted Windows
Chevy Soft Bed Cover
HID Headlights and LED Fog Lights
Blue Illuminated Underneath Seat LED
Black Running Boards
On order HELO HE901 18" Rims with Geolander 265 65r18 Tires
I believe it has a 1" or 1.25" Leveling Kit?
K&n Air Filter
Switchback LED Turn Signals
Flowmaster 40 Series
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenaoe View Post
PM Sent
Could you send me these dimensions too?

2015 Green Rado
4" RC Lift
17x8.5 Grid MR309
285/70/17 Nitto TG
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

My build has some dimensions and measurements if you need. I'm going a bit different with my route, but really its all there. My log is attached to my sig if it helps.

'17 Crew V6, stock but working on sound system first. Build log in progress
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansonF View Post
My build has some dimensions and measurements if you need. I'm going a bit different with my route, but really its all there. My log is attached to my sig if it helps.

Damn.....That build thread is very thorough. Good job on that!
LansonF likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Leslie View Post
Damn.....That build thread is very thorough. Good job on that!
Thanks man. I've learned a lot (the hard way), Subthump makes a killer box though, extracts every inch of space (and that's good.) But if you need space for equipment like I do, making custom is the way to go. I DO wish I would have used a bit more depth and width, closer to the Subthump design. Maybe I'll redo mine (for a 3rd time!) later. I just want sound again for now.

'17 Crew V6, stock but working on sound system first. Build log in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode