Hyperflash, but only when headlights are on. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Hyperflash, but only when headlights are on.

I installed LED tail lights/brake/turn signals with resistors, and switchbacks in the front sidemarker/signals with resistors, and I am getting hyperflash and DIC warning, but only when the headlights or parking lights are on.

All signal lights each have a 6Ω 50W resistor with heatsink per bulb, so I have a total of 6 resistors installed.

I installed the tail lights and resistors first, and they worked fine with lights on or off, no hyperflash, but once I got around to doing the fronts, I started to have this problem. The DIC says it is the rear signals, but they do light up correctly, and worked fine before the front signals were done. By the way, when I have the hazard signal on, they don't hyperflash, with or without lights.

I know there are others on here that have all 6 lights converted to LED with 6 resistors, so I don't know what I am doing wrong, or where to go from here. My guess is that the 3 resistors in parallel are not the right impedance overall 1/(1/6Ω + 1/6Ω + 1/6Ω) = 2Ω, when I had just the rears, it was 3Ω (not counting the resistance of the front filament bulbs).

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone have this problem and fixed it?
I think my next thought is to measure the resistance of the OEM filament bulbs, measure the resistance of the LEDs, and get a resistor that brings these back to the same number. 6Ω might just be the "easy" number that brings it close to the correct value, but maybe not in the case when you use all 3?

One other question that I have is why everyone uses parallel resistors? When you want to increase the resistance of a load, usually you add it in series, parallel is usually used to reduce the resistance. Is this just because it is easier to do with splice taps? (Whereas series would require to actually cut the wire to add it in...)

Also, "search police" can cool your jets. I did search. All I found was people saying to use resistors, I didn't see anything with a problem like mine.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 03-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Have you tried without the resistors?

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6L, 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM
ADMIN

Garage
Did you tap/splice the resistors into the proper wires?

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
Did you tap/splice the resistors into the proper wires?
I matched the wires in the pics you posted in your threads. They work when the headlights (or parking lights) are not on, no hyperflash, but there's something else going on when the lights are on...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM

LESS resistance is MORE LOAD (draws more current for a given supply voltage). .. . So you need a 6 ohm resistor at each directional light because each directional usually has it's own separate connection to the BCM. The LED is less resistance than an incandescent filament so if the BCM does not "see" a load that draws about 2.5 to 3 amps, the directional will hyper flash and error.
I would check the actual values of the resistors, plus, I would also suspect an error in connection when you added resistors to the Front. Or, may have cross connected a wire(s) to the headlights. (ie. . connected to a headlight ground or source) Difficult to diagnose since my Fluke Multimeter and myself are not there.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Conv Pkgs, Blk/Ashen Gray Leather

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 03-20-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I matched the wires in the pics you posted in your threads. They work when the headlights (or parking lights) are not on, no hyperflash, but there's something else going on when the lights are on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
LESS resistance is MORE LOAD (draws more current for a given supply voltage). .. . So you need a 6 ohm resistor at each directional light because each directional usually has it's own separate connection to the BCM. The LED is less resistance than an incandescent filament so if the BCM does not "see" a load that draws about 2.5 to 3 amps, the directional will hyper flash and error.
I would check the actual values of the resistors, plus, I would also suspect an error in connection when you added resistors to the Front. Or, may have cross connected a wire(s) to the headlights. (ie. . connected to a headlight ground or source) Difficult to diagnose since my Fluke Multimeter and myself are not there.
Now you have to run the resistor test. Turn on one of your turn signals and check the resistors. After about 30 seconds, the resistors should be really hot. This can tell possibly us if you're properly wired or if the resistors aren't good.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

OK, on my lunch break I went out to the truck to investigate a little more. Looked at the resistors on the front lights, no issues, heats up, etc.
Ok, so maybe something happened to the rear resistors. Pulled the tail light, and it seems I wasn't careful enough with securing the resistors down and the wire broke off from one of the resistors.
Ok, that explains one, but there's no chance both had it happen at the same time, right? So, I pulled the other tail light, and sure enough, same thing on the other side.

Good thing I bought 8, so I have 2 to swap in, and now I need to be a little better about securing them down. We'll see if that fixes it. It is strange though that it doesn't hyperflash when the lights are off, even with the two resistors disconnected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode