Fogs On w/ High Beams Mod - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Fogs On w/ High Beams Mod

So this post may be a little premature, but I think it's principle is pretty solid. I want to make the fog lights stay on when I turn on my high beams. Right now, if you are driving with the low beams and fog lights, and then flip on your high beams, the fogs will turn off. This is the way they have operated in the past on various GM trucks. And thus there was always a mod that could overcome this. I did the mod on my 2002 Silverado and my 2014 Sierra. Luckily, I think my 2014 Sierra and my new 2017 Colorado have pretty similar electrical systems.

So I dug up an old post on GM-trucks.com by a member who figured out how to make the fog lights stay on with the high beams for the 2014+ trucks. (This post here: Foglights On With High Beams - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 Silverado & Sierra Accessories & Modifications - GM-Trucks.com)

I followed a similar path to get the electrical schematics. I went to https://www.gmupfitter.com and found everything I needed.

So a little background on the way this is accomplished on the 2014+ Sierra's/Silverado's. It's very easy. All you have to do is insert a diode into the pins on the connector that controls the Fog Light Control Relay and the Headlamp Highbeam Control Relay. This connector is housed on the BCM of the 2014+ Sierra's/Silverado's. Once you do this, the BCM gets "confused" and allows the fogs to stay on with the high beams on. Pretty neat. I ran this mod on my 2014 Sierra from July 2014 until July 2016 when I traded it in, and never once had an issue. Many other members on the GM-Trucks forums also did this mod without any issues either.

Now getting back tot he Colorado's/Canyons. Using the electrical schematics I found on GMupfitter.com, I was able to locate the location of the connector that controls the Fog Light Control Relay and the Headlamp Highbeam Control Relay.

They are on the K9 body control module X5 connector. (Same as the Sierra/Silverado). It is a BROWN connector on the BCM unit.

The Fog Lamp Relay Control is pin # 13.
The Headlamp High Beam Relay Control is Pin # 18.

So if my assumptions are correct, this mod could be accomplished by simply inserting a diode (1N4004 type) that jumps from Pin # 13 to Pin # 18. And bingo, the fogs should stay on with the high beams.

Attached to this post is a picture of the connector with the pins circled and the location of the K9 BCM.

So tonight I am going to try this. I am pretty sure I have a leftover diode from when I did this on my Sierra. Should only take a few minutes. I'll be sure to report back with pictures and my results.
Attached Images
File Type: png Fogs On with high beams.png (500.7 KB, 86 views)

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6L, 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Last edited by fondupot; 03-20-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM

OEM fog lights function that way by law. Most states you can't have fog lights on while operating high beams.

Good luck trying though, I'm sure others would like to do the same.
Janster likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM

nice find, hope it works. Wonder if you can do the quad light mod also?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Yes it violates most DOT laws by state. I did, however (on a previous vehicle, not the Colorado yet) wire up some sweet PIAA driving pencil-beam lights to my highbeam and my fogs to my lowbeam, and that's lawful since is 4 lights on per mode.

'17 Crew V6, stock but working on sound system first. Build log in progress
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Success!!! Got the diode installed tonight and it worked.

For anyone else who wants to do this mod, its the BROWN connector on the BCM module. And I found it easy to just to count backwards from pin # 21 til I got to #18 which is the Highbeam relay, and then keep downing down to pin # 13 for the fog lamp relay. Refer to the diagram above in my first post for the numbering of the pins on the connector.

It makes it easier to disconnect the connector and fish the wire down below the dash panel so you can sit on a stool in the door jamb and play with the diode. Pin #18 is in the middle of the connector (roughly) so you have to sort of fish your diode around until you can properly seat it int he pin. You'll know when you do, the diode will slot right into it nice and easy. Although it may take a few times to find the exact spot where the diode can slide in.

Once complete you can plug the connector back in and you're done.

Here is a link to the diodes you can buy on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/1N4004-Diode/dp/B007V2H3BE

If anyone has questions, feel free to chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3542.jpg (187.2 KB, 84 views)
Bruski likes this.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Just confirming what most have already mentioned.....

Fogs are legally only allowed to come on with low beams.
Driving lights are legally only allowed to come on with high beams.

If your state requires yearly vehicle inspections - you will have to adapt your setup for inspections.

I installed driving lights on my previous truck of which were wired to come on anytime I wanted them to come on. However..... Pennsylvania requires vehicle inspections yearly. So - in order to bypass this issue during inspection - I would literally pull the fuse / disconnect the power to the driving lights completely for inspections.

A friend of ours used to do vehicle inspections and he told us this 'little trick' - by pulling the power. As long as the lights aren't functioning during inspection, they can't do anything about it.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Just confirming what most have already mentioned.....

Fogs are legally only allowed to come on with low beams.
Driving lights are legally only allowed to come on with high beams.

If your state requires yearly vehicle inspections - you will have to adapt your setup for inspections.

I installed driving lights on my previous truck of which were wired to come on anytime I wanted them to come on. However..... Pennsylvania requires vehicle inspections yearly. So - in order to bypass this issue during inspection - I would literally pull the fuse / disconnect the power to the driving lights completely for inspections.

A friend of ours used to do vehicle inspections and he told us this 'little trick' - by pulling the power. As long as the lights aren't functioning during inspection, they can't do anything about it.

Good tip. I live in Illinois, they don't give a flying rats ass what peoples cars do here. Like I've mentioned before, I've had this done for years on several different trucks. Never had an issue. In the rare case that I even use my brights, I have the decency to flip them back to low beams before driving past oncoming traffic.

That said, I get it. This mod is not 100% legal. But I think some owners would be fine taking the risk, which is why I posted it here. It was widely popular mod over on the GM-trucks.com forum (37 pages, 540 posts), I figured it would be similar over here.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 AM

There's a reason it is illegal though. Due to the way the eye focuses where there is light, running fog lights and high beam simultaneously actually reduces the vision you see down the road. It is analogous to turning on your interior lights at night, your forward vision drops heavily and after the light goes out, you slowly regain "night sight". So in this case, even ignoring law, this mod has a negative impact on your driving ability. As mentioned, a pair of pencil beam aux lights were my solution, and I do recommend it for night highway runs. Throwing a ton of light far ahead of you and in your vision cone, it works great.

'17 Crew V6, stock but working on sound system first. Build log in progress
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Stupid over controlling northern states. Basically can't do any mods 'legally' in the MA but still get by for reasonable stuff if you know someone but in NH, any light on the vehicle has to work. On my previous car I had cheap aftermarket fog light kit that short circuited somewhere at some point and just didn't feel like tearing it all out to find the problem but douche wouldn't pass me for inspection even though they were button controlled. Just painted over them with a ruberized spray and brought it back. Kind of liked the look after better than the oem fog covers anyway haha

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

You wouldn't believe some of the sh!t people get away with in Illinois. I've seen some terrible shit boxes of a car, wheel about to fall off, windshield cracked, taillight's not functioning, spewing all sorts of smoke out the tailpipe, drive right by a cop. You'd think that would be a reasonable time to pull them over and seize their vehicle....but nah, it's too much to ask a public servant to do their job correctly.

Which is why I know I'm fine having fog lights wired to my high beams. Where I live, I drive on some dark country roads. Every bit of light out of the front end helps.
kaiser67 likes this.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to evonschu
Lol on getting on legalities of fog lights on with high beams when half the people on here are rolling with 55W HID kits for their headlights or like 20000Lm LED lights. You really think a cop's gonna pull ya over for having a pair of fog lights on with your highs?? Been doing it for 2 decades on 3 different vehicles and have yet to have anyone care. Also what states do yearly inspections on headlights?

To the op: Looking forward to seeing if your diode mod works long term without issues. If so would love to add it to my own rig.
fondupot likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 AM

Garage
I did this mod on my 06 Silverado and it worked out great. Thanks to the OP for figuring it out. Nicely done!

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
To the op: Looking forward to seeing if your diode mod works long term without issues. If so would love to add it to my own rig.
I had this exact same mod done on my 2014 Sierra. For nearly 3 years. Never an issue. There are also guys over on GM-Trucks.com that are still running the mod without issue.

I'll go out on a limb and say its safe for the long term.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
Sweet I'll try it tonight. They sell the diodes at radio shack to for 97 cents too.
fondupot likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sweet I'll try it tonight. They sell the diodes at radio shack to for 97 cents too.
Yea that's where I originally got mine. I had a couple left over.

When you do this, there will be a spot where the wire goes in that has a small channel for the diode to slip into. Its not visible, but you'll know when it goes in. And it will be sort of snug. Best way I found, is to bend the two pins on the diode straight down from middle, and feed them both into their respective locations at the same time. Using a needle nose pliers helps tremendously.

Buy a few extra diodes, in case you break one on your first attempts. It took me a bit to find the channel, and the pins on the diodes are so flexible they scrunch up if they don't slide in just right. And eventually they will break from bending too much.

Let me know how it turns out for you.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM

Garage
EDITED: NVM I see the gas and brake pedals in the diagram. Driver's footwell. Gonna try this on my lunch today!

Where is this BCM located at btw? Is it in the passenger footwell or under the hood? Looked at that black and white diagram and it looks like its in the rear of the vehicle?

Last edited by evonschu; 03-22-2017 at 02:21 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Garage
EDITED: Again answered my own question. From the Sierra forum post: Take a 1N4004 diode and push the wire lead of the diode in along side the wires with a pair of needle nose pliers. You need to push hard to get it to slide in about 1/4" so it will stay snug. Make sure the marked end of the diode (stripe) is toward the High Beam.

Also for what its worth 1N4001,1N4002,1N4003 diodes work too. The radio shack I went to was out of 4004's. They are just the max voltage they can pass. 4004 is 400V, 300V is 300V... not really an issue since the pins are ground switches (0V)... Didn't have pliers on me when I tried it in the parking lot. Grabbed some off a toolkit at work and will try when I'm off work.

One question though. Does it matter which end of the diode goes in which pin? I know diodes only allow electricity to pass one way usually.

Last edited by evonschu; 03-22-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Thanks fondupot! You rock. Best 97 cents I've spent. Took 5 mins with a pair of pliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170322_175536_1490230712897.jpg (131.9 KB, 24 views)
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
EDITED: Again answered my own question. From the Sierra forum post: Take a 1N4004 diode and push the wire lead of the diode in along side the wires with a pair of needle nose pliers. You need to push hard to get it to slide in about 1/4" so it will stay snug. Make sure the marked end of the diode (stripe) is toward the High Beam.

Also for what its worth 1N4001,1N4002,1N4003 diodes work too. The radio shack I went to was out of 4004's. They are just the max voltage they can pass. 4004 is 400V, 300V is 300V... not really an issue since the pins are ground switches (0V)... Didn't have pliers on me when I tried it in the parking lot. Grabbed some off a toolkit at
work and will try when I'm off work.

One question though. Does it matter which end of the diode goes in which pin? I know diodes only allow electricity to pass one way usually.

I honestly never paid attention to the way the diode went in. So either I got lucky the two times I've done this. Or it doesn't matter. Either way glad you got it to work.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks fondupot! You rock. Best 97 cents I've spent. Took 5 mins with a pair of pliers.
Looks good! Glad it worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode