Android Auto question - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Android Auto question

Cross posting from facebook 2nd Gen owners page because I am really looking for an answer:

Any Android Auto users; When setting up the truck on delivery, as an example of how the Android Auto app works, we tried searching for Starbucks (good as an example of any, I mean you have to search for something). Now Android Auto on it's main screen that pops up (where it shows the area weather), always has Starbucks on there. I tried finding a way to delete search history in Auto and also was suggested looking at Google Maps and I sure can't find any history of Starbucks on Google maps, or a way to delete history. I also somehow got the tiny town of Vermont, WI on there, a restaurant in Cleveland, OH, oh and a couple things from my emails, which were a carpet cleaning service and my internet and TV provider, Auto was at the ready to take me to their physical locations. THOSE I got rid of (I think, I will find out for sure shortly) by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.Slim info in the manual on Android Auto. Starbucks remains. Unless Starbucks is used as an example by the app and this is normal? Thanks all. I can take a pic of the screen if it would help.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 AM

Garage
I haven't had any starbucks pop up, but when I first installed AA last year I was frustrated because for work I travel to a lot of addresses, sometime for just one day, and it would suggest that address weeks later when it was irrelevant. I actually stopped using it for a long time. Since then I have updated to Android 7.0 on my Samsung S7, and updated the app as well and now it no longer suggests things that don't mean anything to me. It knows my home and work addresses and suggest those, but a search for a address from weeks ago no longer comes up. Have you looked in google play and made sure installed aps are not needing an update?

2016 Cyber Grey Colorado Z71, 4x4, CCSB, Bose, nav, trailer package

BDS 5.5" lift, 20% tint, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18, Fuel 18x9 Recoils, 5" running boards, K&N CAI, Air dam trimdown to aprox 2" lip, Weatherguard black saddlebox, GM floor liners front and back. LineX

HID conversions, interior LED swap, cargo, reverse, lic plate, fog lights, and switch-back LED's, Rough Country LED bar, toolbox lights, bed rail LEDs, Canyon leather armrest swap
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 AM
24v

I would try to go into Settings/Applications(Application Manager)/Android Auto/Storage/Clear Cache and then Clear Data
That will likely fix your issue. Your phone menus may be slightly different, but I'm sure you get the idea.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM

It uses your Maps history that is tied to your Google account but there isn't a way to clear it from Android Auto or from the Android Maps app if I remember correctly.

You have to go to your Google account activity and delete it from your search history to make it disappear. Just search the list for Starbucks or the address you want to delete and it should come up (maybe filter by Maps but it might be sucking in history from regular web searches too).

Google has its tentacles deep into your life so it's trying to be helpful by showing directions to places you might possibly be interested based on search history but that gets a little annoying sometimes. My AA shows me drive time to the Thai restaurant near work when I'm driving to the office in the morning even though I haven't searched for that in years.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Zone 1.25" leveling kit, Access Vanish tonneau cover
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM

I've noticed it lists you're last searched locations. After a while, it'll just disappear from the list.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
Now, if Google would incorporate Waze into Android Auto as promised a year or so ago...
Jerkyking likes this.

2016 Canyon CrewCab BabyDmax
2004 Canyon CrewCab 315000 miles
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byondhlp View Post
Now, if Google would incorporate Waze into Android Auto as promised a year or so ago...
Isn't it dependant upon Waze to do that? Google makes it open to let devs code for it and such, but Waze had to make it compatible with AA?

Note: I use Google maps pretty exclusively so I don't know what's going on with Waze to begins with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Google bought Waze a couple of years ago with the intention of integrating it. I've noticed Google navigation will now sometimes reroute me for traffic, so I guess they've incorporated at least some of the technology.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM

If you set up your home, work and other favorite addresses in gmaps it will suggest those more often and it will also learn your routine, if you have one. So say you leave work about the same time, or same area most days and head home, it will suggest home or even start navigating if you go straight to map.

I don't really use the suggested anymore and it doesn't often have many suggestions unless I just looked up something recently.

I tend to go to map while already driving and hit the voice button to find something, works pretty well. If you're in park you can hit the search and a whole keyboard pops up.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Someone suggested going in to Google Maps on my phone and trying to delete the history there. So I did that and did find the things I wanted removed, Starbucks, the town of Vermont, WI, a carpet cleaning service I had used (had emails with them to confirm an appointment and somehow AA picked up on that, and that wasn't a GMail address I was using either) and also my TV/Internet provider, again I was using my .net email address not Google. So don't know how that was put in to Google Maps at all or on to AA. It wanted to navigate me to the physical address of the carpet place and the nearest office for my ISP.

The removal is something like; Go to Google Maps and tap the 3 lines next to the search box. You get a drop down menu, need to scroll down to Settings, click that and scroll down to Maps History. Everything on there is exactly what I am talking about wanting out of there.

Just did this and haven't driven the truck yet but probably will be good.

I'll just see what happens now, hopefully it doesn't start adding stuff again.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 AM

A new update to Android Auto that started rolling out yesterday will allow you to swipe away items on the main screen of Android Auto.

2016 Colorado
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That would be great. Swipe away on the truck or phone? On the truck screen I tried swiping and holding down, and all it did was further the aggravation by going to the nav screen showing the location of what I had touched.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
That would be great. Swipe away on the truck or phone? On the truck screen I tried swiping and holding down, and all it did was further the aggravation by going to the nav screen showing the location of what I had touched.
It is on the truck. You have to have the most up to date version of Android Auto. See the link below for more info.

Android Auto v2.2 finally enables swiping away notifications from the feed, adjusts messaging notifications [APK Download]
Gilly likes this.

2016 Colorado
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
It is on the truck. You have to have the most up to date version of Android Auto. See the link below for more info.

Android Auto v2.2 finally enables swiping away notifications from the feed, adjusts messaging notifications [APK Download]
Just tried to update my android auto app, v2.2 doesn't show up in the play store.

2016 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss Duramax Diesel
Summit White Crew Cab
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_n_low View Post
Just tried to update my android auto app, v2.2 doesn't show up in the play store.
That is because Google does a roll out of the update so their servers don't get over loaded. Be patient, the update is coming to you.

2016 Colorado
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_n_low View Post
If you read the link that you quoted....

"As usual, grab the latest update from the link at the bottom if it's not already rolling out to your phone."

"The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing app. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take days, download and install it just like any other APK."

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-7106-release/

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is there a way to keep the AA from coming up on my phone every time I am in the truck? Well, with the key on or engine running, I guess it shuts off if I shut the truck off. I mean without even plugging in the USB cord it still does it, I suppose through the bluetooth?

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Is there a way to keep the AA from coming up on my phone every time I am in the truck? Well, with the key on or engine running, I guess it shuts off if I shut the truck off. I mean without even plugging in the USB cord it still does it, I suppose through the bluetooth?
You need to go into Android Auto settings on the phone and turn off the automatic launch option for your Bluetooth.

For those interested, I got the Android Auto 2.2 update today via APK Mirror. The swipe to remove notifications on the home screen of Android Auto works great in the Colarado. Grap the APK and install if you don't have it available yet on the Play Store as an update. Just make sure to get the correct one for your phones architecture.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-7108-release/
Gilly likes this.

2016 Colorado
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Does the galaxy s5 work with android auto?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENYPDE View Post
Does the galaxy s5 work with android auto?
No reason it shouldn't. Download it from the Play Store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode