OEM Offroad Sport Bar lights installed, need activation code - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By spoonman
  • 2 Post By mrpositraction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OEM Offroad Sport Bar lights installed, need activation code

I bought the lights used from a member on here, very smooth transaction. What I am needing, and I thought I could simply purchase from GM (as two different dealerships told me they could) is worst case I would need to pay up to $100 for the activation code from GM. Well today I stopped in to have them reprogram the BCM to accept the new head light switch with the off road light button. After about 45 minutes they called me in from the waiting lounge and informed me that GM would NOT sell them the code and that they were unable to do anything!

Anyone have experience with installing these lights used? How did you get the OEM switch to work? How/where did you get the code to activate them in the BCM?

Any help is appreciated.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount (on order)
AFE Magnum Intake and Bladerunner Hot/Cold side Kit
Duramaxtune DSP-4 Tuning (full delete on order)
AFE Rebel side exit turbo back w/ Black tips (on order)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
I bought the lights used from a member on here, very smooth transaction. What I am needing, and I thought I could simply purchase from GM (as two different dealerships told me they could) is worst case I would need to pay up to $100 for the activation code from GM. Well today I stopped in to have them reprogram the BCM to accept the new head light switch with the off road light button. After about 45 minutes they called me in from the waiting lounge and informed me that GM would NOT sell them the code and that they were unable to do anything!

Anyone have experience with installing these lights used? How did you get the OEM switch to work? How/where did you get the code to activate them in the BCM?

Any help is appreciated.
I assume you got the switch second hand. Did you inquire if you were to purchase a new switch thru GM, that it would include a BCM activation code?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I assume you got the switch second hand. Did you inquire if you were to purchase a new switch thru GM, that it would include a BCM activation code?

I asked the Tech I am working with to ask that to the Tech line. They have been very helpful in trying to find me a solution to this odd problem. They are surprised they won't do it either.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel
Red Rock, Sports bar, Black 5" assist steps, EGT and Boost Gauge with custom bezel mount (on order)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
I asked the Tech I am working with to ask that to the Tech line. They have been very helpful in trying to find me a solution to this odd problem. They are surprised they won't do it either.
GM is getting pissy about folks outfitting their vehicles with owner installed factory parts from the secondhand market that weren't originally tied to their VIN's programming.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
GM is getting pissy about folks outfitting their vehicles with owner installed factory parts from the secondhand market that weren't originally tied to their VIN's programming.
I guess, not sure why they would get pissy, I am willing to give them $100 for their silly activation code that already comes already activated on the 17 model. Plus, the guys who have this stuff are going to get pissy if they can't sell them. Granted, you can wire an aftermarket switch to the harness but seems ridiculous given I have an integrated switch. The dealerships are losing out on the "flash time" and GM is losing out on the "purchase of additional activation code".

What risk is there activating an already supported light kit?

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So after the tech called back a few more time for various reasons and updates he got another person, who once supplied with the part number that was being installed allowed the activation of the parameter in the BCM........

Shitty part is the dealer to complete it wants me to pay for the hour the tech spent jacking around with the "tech line" and then another hour to install! Part of me want to tell them to shove it on principle but I really want this to work so I will end up eating another $250 (on top of the $43 I spent this morning). I could have bought new lights for this!

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
So after the tech called back a few more time for various reasons and updates he got another person, who once supplied with the part number that was being installed allowed the activation of the parameter in the BCM........

Shitty part is the dealer to complete it wants me to pay for the hour the tech spent jacking around with the "tech line" and then another hour to install! Part of me want to tell them to shove it on principle but I really want this to work so I will end up eating another $250 (on top of the $43 I spent this morning). I could have bought new lights for this!
Yeesh!
I guess it is luck of the draw on the hospitality of the GM program gatekeepers.
I understand biting the bullet to keep it as factory intended.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:01 PM

Garage
Do you think the activation code is unique? There is one that is posted on a photo of the accessory kit.

2D84426C

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Garage
Did you pay already yet @mrpositraction ?

The switch itself seems to be only $129. Wonder if that comes with an activation code itself.

Although id double check if its the right part number

Switch | Genuine GM | 23458495 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

*edit*
abernathy shows a close up of the back of the switch so it might be

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/23458492

But you have the switch with you right? Maybe you can post the correct part number for it.
mrpositraction likes this.

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs

Last edited by spoonman; 04-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Everything is installed. I ended up forking over the money ($295 total) for the dealer to reprogram the BCM. I am sure if you had the right dealer you could get this done for less. But be prepared, for us 15/16 model year guys, the "tech line" does not want to give us activation codes for used equipment. You have to find the right person to talk to.

I have a complaint in with this dealer, not sure if it will go any further than that. It isn't totally their fault as I would imagine it is GM's stance on the use of used parts, just seem silly since the 2017 models are plug and play now :(

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Garage
I fought a battle similar to this, i ended up saying F it and bought my own harness with a keyfob remote for my lights.
I am better off now because the OEM harness wouldnt have handled the amps im running. i just keep the remote in my sunglasses holder, it will flash SOS and stuff too lol. AND they will turn on and off without stipulations.

Proryde adjustable strut spacer 2"
RC preload ring 1"
ProComp 1" rear lift block
RC 1.25" body lift
AS diff drop
Wheel spacers 1.5"
4 AuxBeam 6" round 60 watt led offroad lights
Air Dam delete
FabTech inbed angled spare tire carrier
Sylvania zXe low beams
LED fogs
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealer called back and is refunding me some of the money I spent. They are refunding the entire first visit ($43). So that helps. I did expect to pay up to $180 (activation code and flash time) so I am not as far from that now.
Toughsox and RatRacer like this.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Dealer called back and is refunding me some of the money I spent. They are refunding the entire first visit ($43). So that helps. I did expect to pay up to $180 (activation code and flash time) so I am not as far from that now.

At least you got something back. Did you find out if the activation code is unique?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Everything is installed. I ended up forking over the money ($295 total) for the dealer to reprogram the BCM. I am sure if you had the right dealer you could get this done for less. But be prepared, for us 15/16 model year guys, the "tech line" does not want to give us activation codes for used equipment. You have to find the right person to talk to.

I have a complaint in with this dealer, not sure if it will go any further than that. It isn't totally their fault as I would imagine it is GM's stance on the use of used parts, just seem silly since the 2017 models are plug and play now :(
So are you saying for us '17 guys, that all I need to do it buy the switch, harness, and call it a day without flashing/activating the BCM?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
So are you saying for us '17 guys, that all I need to do it buy the switch, harness, and call it a day without flashing/activating the BCM?
That is what I have read as well as had two different dealers tell me.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
That is what I have read as well as had two different dealers tell me.
Gotcha, I'd like to wire my light bar to the OEM switch, but also read that the BCM controls voltage and isn't a constant source.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bee View Post
Gotcha, I'd like to wire my light bar to the OEM switch, but also read that the BCM controls voltage and isn't a constant source.
My understanding this would still work when sending 12V to the Relay. X1-12 connection is the ground connection from the light switch to the BCM. This held for 2 seconds (when the BCM is programmed to recognize this signal on this pin) then tell the BCM to send 12V on X5-5 connection. This wire goes to the switch (LED indicating voltage) and to the Relay to signal it to close. Keep in mind, the BCM has some quarks in parameters for it to work. Lights have to be on (either Auto ON with it dark enough to turn the headlights on, or the switch in the ON position). Also, shutting it off is the same process, 2 sec hold of the off road light button and they shut off.

I do like the integrated looks and function, just wish it was a push on, push off. The "hold for 2 seconds" is surprisingly annoying. I have also found if you try to shut them off immediately after turning them on, they will not turn off. You need to release the button, wait a moment, then hold for 2 seconds to shut off the lights. Not a huge problem, just quarky. I was trying the lights out after I put them on at 4:30 in the morning on a back road with no cars coming, but if one came up that I was expecting, there was a delay before I could kill the top lights (without turning all my lights off). I know, don't turn them on the road, and I won't going forward, just wanted to see how much they illuminated.

2016 Colorado LT Diesel

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:

Well better than nothing I guess. I can't believe they made you pay for time spent for the tech that didn't know how to do his job. How is that your problem?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode