OnStar "Smart Driver" issue - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
**Off topic** Yeah I have had people complain about the Amazon Dot listening to every word I say.. how could I allow that thing in my house. These same people have android phones that they carry everywhere they go, and not only have microphones but also cameras.

Back on topic:

Yeah it says I had some hard accelerations. How else am I suppose to properly break in the engine and seat the rings and all that. It's still a new truck.
Yes, I guess as long as you arent a terrorist plotting something or whatever you don't need to worry about people listening. But still VERY CREEPY if you ask me. I think the only ones listening are the one making money somehow. Like data miners and marketing people. As far as the car watching I'm positive California is going to use it to watch our emissions someday and fine us (tax) for polluting. Onstar already knows if we have a check engine light and what the code is. In California you can't register your car with the CEL on. (smog check) :(

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing

Ok, sorry, back on topic for real.
JScottM likes this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM

I asked State Farm about this. They claim to only have access to the mileage and not any of the other driver information.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
It was money taken off of what was already the most competitive price. Saved hundreds, no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Gotcha, their prices arent that competitive around here. At least last time I checked. I see so many ads promising great prices and I started calling and getting some quotes. Finally just gave up....For now.......lol

If I could actually save as much as they are suggesting on car insurance versus my State Farm rates, they would have to pay me to get insurance with them. And I carry a lot more than the minimums for Texas.

Worst part is, when you try to do the apples to apples comparison, suddenly you realize their cheap quotes are for the very minimum insurance.
JScottM likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
Apparently, no one else that reads the forum with regularity HAS the original issue I posted.

I'll keep this forum posted with "developments" as they occur.

Currently I was told by OnStar I would get a response in 3 to 5 business days.

Last edited by turbguy; 04-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, I guess as long as you arent a terrorist plotting something or whatever you don't need to worry about people listening. But still VERY CREEPY if you ask me. I think the only ones listening are the one making money somehow. Like data miners and marketing people. As far as the car watching I'm positive California is going to use it to watch our emissions someday and fine us (tax) for polluting. Onstar already knows if we have a check engine light and what the code is. In California you can't register your car with the CEL on. (smog check) :(
In Texas, at least the big metro areas, the inspection is primarily for emissions. No inspection, no registration.

I have seen a few places where they were literally using road side monitors to monitor vehicles as they drove by to determine air quality. I believe it was an EPA study on an overall basis, but I could see California using it go after individuals.

Why worry, in a few years, you will only be able to purchase electric cars in California. There will be no gas stations, so no one will drive there to visit from out of state. All you will have are residents who can't go any further than their extension cord will let them travel.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbguy View Post
Apparently, no one else that reads the forum with regularity HAS the original issue I posted.

I'll keep this forum posted with "developments" as they occur.

Currently I was told by OnStar I would get a response in 3 to 5 business days.
I know you can turn it off in the on the online account. Did you check to see if it was shut off somehow? Or is it still on but the info ON the map isn't there?

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know you can turn it off in the on the online account. Did you check to see if it was shut off somehow? Or is it still on but the info ON the map isn't there?
Thanx. That was the first thing I checked. I'm "enrolled", and OnStar customer service confirmed that.

I know the last recorded trip was at the Dealers Body Shop shuffling the car around their lot (it actually plots it on OnStar's map). They had it for 6 days after that trip. I wonder if they disconnected the battery for an extended period for their work??

Last edited by turbguy; 04-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I have seen a few places where they were literally using road side monitors to monitor vehicles as they drove by to determine air quality. I believe it was an EPA study on an overall basis, but I could see California using it go after individuals.
Actually in Colorado if they get a good sniff as you go by you don't have to get an emissions test at your next registration, after you pay the appropriate convenience fee of course.

Scott

2016 White Canyon SLT Coca Dune Duramax CCSB
8/16 Build
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Access Tonneau Cover
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Does anyone know exactly where the Onstar box is located? I still need to delete mine. It's nobody's business how I drive MY truck.
It is above the fuse box located on the right side of the passenger's footwell. Taking the glove box out can help a little bit with visibility but not with access. It's tight in the bracket, I wasn't able to pull it out (yet) by hand alone. I could probably just pull the antenna wires but I want to pull the internal board connector. (hopefully the innards are the same as earlier models)

Slightly OT, I had them rename my hotspot as the dealer had it set it to Deep Saturn's Colorado. Working in infosec that made me about come out of my chair. Then I had them disable it, only to find that it's still on but with no name. Why none of that is configurable from the screen is beyond me.
404 Not Found likes this.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Thanx. That was the first thing I checked. I'm "enrolled", and OnStar customer service confirmed that.

I know the last recorded trip was at the Dealers Body Shop shuffling the car around their lot (it actually plots it on OnStar's map). They had it for 6 days after that trip. I wonder if they disconnected the battery for an extended period for their work??
I could see it wouldn't work while the battery was disconnected but it should come back when its hooked back up I would think.

check the "opt-in" settings: Onstar smart driver, Is that on? Activated?

my.chevrolet.com/onstar/settings/

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone Metallic Z71 View Post
I said it when GM came out with it and I'll say it again... OnStar is just a way for Big Brother to keep their eyes on you.
I actually liked Onstar so much when it came out, it was a major reason I chose the Duramax over a Ford 7.3 at the time.
I had a habit of locking my keys in my truck, sometimes in the middle of the fricken desert near Edwards AFB.
Even though I would usually have only 1 bar showing on my phone, thus would barely even be able to get through to them, they'd be able to unlock my vehicle and pull my head out of my ass for me-repeatedly
Also, back then remember 'hands free' phone usage was all but non-existent, and through Onstar your vehicle would have its own phone and phone number. IIRC it was 25-cents/minute, but-for me at least- the phone calls made through the vehicle weren't the type that lasted more than 2-3mins anyway.
Anyway, with smart phones and bluetooth, Onstar has become antiquated, and a really easy way for GM to build(and undoubtedly sell-at least at some point) a HUGE database on its customer's driving habits(as you wrote).
Not to mention knowledge of where we all are 24-freaking-7
JScottM likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 04-21-2017 at 04:06 AM.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I could see it wouldn't work while the battery was disconnected but it should come back when its hooked back up I would think.

check the "opt-in" settings: Onstar smart driver, Is that on? Activated?

my.chevrolet.com/onstar/settings/
Yup, opt-in/activated for Smart Driver on the OnStar website.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Yup, opt-in/activated for Smart Driver on the OnStar website.
Ok, one other thing to try. Just in case its a web browser thing. Clear the cache and/or try a different browser. If thats not it I'm stumped.

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, one other thing to try. Just in case its a web browser thing. Clear the cache and/or try a different browser. If thats not it I'm stumped.
Thanx. Tried that (Chrome and IE the same, even on WIN 10 and Android. No activity reported since it was in the Dealer's hands on March 28th...
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Thanx. Tried that (Chrome and IE the same, even on WIN 10 and Android. No activity reported since it was in the Dealer's hands on March 28th...
That is very strange, you could always look at it like a good thing like most that have commented here....LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode