OnStar "Smart Driver" issue - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to turbguy Send a message via MSN to turbguy
OnStar "Smart Driver" issue

A 2016 Canyon SLE here:

My OnStar account tracked all my trips (and rated my driving habits). Insurance companies must love this!

Suddenly, OnStar Smart Driver stopped tracking my trips. The last reported trip was when the truck was in the Dealer's body shop hands several weeks ago, getting a replacement taillight assembly installed (someone backed into me).

The MyGMC app still responds with current/accurate vehicle parked location, odometers, and range remaining. The WiFi hot spot and calls from an OnStar number still function.

I called OnStar to report the problem, and they could not immediately reach a resolution. I have a ticket/case open.

Anyone else have this situation with OnStar??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
Waitaminute..
Onstar NOT keeping track of your driving habits is a problem?

My iphone keeps track of where I parked my truck for some reason, and that's a little much for me.
JBT, CaryBosse, PAR and 1 others like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Waitaminute..
Onstar NOT keeping track of your driving habits is a problem?

My iphone keeps track of where I parked my truck for some reason, and that's a little much for me.
Yeah, it is a little of "1984" stuff going on!
JBT likes this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Garage
That feature is stupid. Everyone I know who has a GM vehicle has said they haven't been able to get a discount. This winter when I had to give it some gas to get out of the snow multiple times it would read it as a "hard acceleration" when it wasn't.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Conway View Post
That feature is stupid. Everyone I know who has a GM vehicle has said they haven't been able to get a discount. This winter when I had to give it some gas to get out of the snow multiple times it would read it as a "hard acceleration" when it wasn't.
yep, it is BS if you ask me. What if some jackass cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes? Then it reads as hard braking right? The ONLY way this crap would work is if some insurance dude rode around with you and a clipboard. Getting so sick of this big brother crap.....

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

The OnStar website does some "strange" things, too.

I have a week-long report that said that week's average MPH was 76 MPH. None of the individual days of that week showed anything over an average of 37 MPH! So how did OnStar average 7 days of 37 MPH or less and come up with a weekly average of 76 MPH??

Also when clicking from WEEK view to MONTH view, the year changes to 1900, with no option to correct the year! "No Data Available for This Time Period"

No kidding. I HOPE not!
JScottM likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM

Angry I just cancelled out of it.

I'm sorry, but it's way too nosy. I'd forgot about it, glad I saw this thread, Thanks OP!
PAR and JScottM like this.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 AM

Does anyone know exactly where the Onstar box is located? I still need to delete mine. It's nobody's business how I drive MY truck.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Does anyone know exactly where the Onstar box is located? I still need to delete mine. It's nobody's business how I drive MY truck.
It's under vehicle manager. Go to the vehicle tab, & you'll find it.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Garage
I said it when GM came out with it and I'll say it again... OnStar is just a way for Big Brother to keep their eyes on you.
KY Red Rock and 404 Not Found like this.

16' Brownstone Z71 CC SB
TriFecta Advantage + Tune
GMPP Cat Back Exhaust
Tow Package
Spray In Bedliner
Bose
Color Molded Grill
All Weather Floor Mats
Sliding Rear Window
GM Mud Flaps
RC 2" Level Kit
AVS BugShield
AVS Vent Visors
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
yep, it is BS if you ask me. What if some jackass cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes? Then it reads as hard braking right? The ONLY way this crap would work is if some insurance dude rode around with you and a clipboard. Getting so sick of this big brother crap.....
Mine records a hard stop if I slow down quickly when a traffic light turns red! I guess OnStar would prefer I run the red light so it doesn't detract from my score!
CaryBosse, KY Red Rock and JScottM like this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM

I assume this was not on the 2015 models, because I have never heard of it.

This is something the auto insurance guys advertise. Flo at Progressive has her Snapshot, guess it plugs in to where you plug the scanners for Check Engine Light analysis.

I prefer for my insurance company to not know how many miles I drive a year: If they knew, they would raise my rates on that alone, much less any hard acceleration or braking, hard turns, number of times the Stabilitrak, ABS, or even the Collision Avoidance were engaged. Heck, last night I got the Collision Alert alarm again for a shadow cast by an overhead highway sign.

Can you imagine the system reporting:

1. You drove 50 miles yesterday in the DFW area.
2. You were driving 65 MPH in a metropolitan area (freeway) for 40 miles of the 50 miles driven.
3. During this time, your Collision Alert was on green for 25 miles, yellow for 14.8 miles, and red for 0.2 miles. (The other 10 miles, you were driving below 25 MPH so the system could not tattle to us about your driving habits.)
4. The system could not tell us that this was rush hour traffic, everyone was driving at 65 MPH, with less than 2 car lengths between cars, because if you give them 3 car lengths, someone will cut you off and that yellow warning would go to red constantly.

No thanks.
KY Red Rock and JScottM like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I assume this was not on the 2015 models, because I have never heard of it.

This is something the auto insurance guys advertise. Flo at Progressive has her Snapshot, guess it plugs in to where you plug the scanners for Check Engine Light analysis.

I prefer for my insurance company to not know how many miles I drive a year: If they knew, they would raise my rates on that alone, much less any hard acceleration or braking, hard turns, number of times the Stabilitrak, ABS, or even the Collision Avoidance were engaged. Heck, last night I got the Collision Alert alarm again for a shadow cast by an overhead highway sign.

Can you imagine the system reporting:

1. You drove 50 miles yesterday in the DFW area.
2. You were driving 65 MPH in a metropolitan area (freeway) for 40 miles of the 50 miles driven.
3. During this time, your Collision Alert was on green for 25 miles, yellow for 14.8 miles, and red for 0.2 miles. (The other 10 miles, you were driving below 25 MPH so the system could not tattle to us about your driving habits.)
4. The system could not tell us that this was rush hour traffic, everyone was driving at 65 MPH, with less than 2 car lengths between cars, because if you give them 3 car lengths, someone will cut you off and that yellow warning would go to red constantly.

No thanks.
I did the Progressive snapshot thing. You're right about it being hard to keep the score up in heavy traffic. I still got a discount so it was worth doing, but the discount would have been bigger without all the hard stops that come with heavy rush hour traffic. I guess that's the point though; driving in heavy traffic = higher accident risk = smaller discount.

The main difference is the Progressive snapshot is temporary and voluntary, while Onstar is built into every vehicle. On a personal note, I don't like all of this extra surveillance, but I don't see it as something worth fighting. You can't stop progress and it's only going to get more intrusive as time goes on.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
I did the Progressive snapshot thing. You're right about it being hard to keep the score up in heavy traffic. I still got a discount so it was worth doing, but the discount would have been bigger without all the hard stops that come with heavy rush hour traffic. I guess that's the point though; driving in heavy traffic = higher accident risk = smaller discount.

The main difference is the Progressive snapshot is temporary and voluntary, while Onstar is built into every vehicle. On a personal note, I don't like all of this extra surveillance, but I don't see it as something worth fighting. You can't stop progress and it's only going to get more intrusive as time goes on.
I'm thinking get a discount by using a different company. ;)
CaryBosse and 404 Not Found like this.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM

Garage
Wearing my tinfoil hat as I type this, you're nuts! Turn that shit off!
CaryBosse and JScottM like this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM

I received the Progressive thing in the mail when I signed up with them. I read what it did, stuck it in the box and sent it back.

Similarly I had the cellular functions of the OnStar box disabled within 3 days of getting the truck. Was a little annoying to get to since it was blocked by the amp for the Bose speaker system.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM

I didn't buy the service so I'm waiting for the day I "need" it in an accident. Then I'm going to sue GM for it not "saving" me. LOL

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
I'm thinking get a discount by using a different company. ;)
It was money taken off of what was already the most competitive price. Saved hundreds, no regrets.

If anyone is worried about "big brother" using something like the Progressive snapshot or Onstar to track your speed or location, this can already be done using your cell phone.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
It was money taken off of what was already the most competitive price. Saved hundreds, no regrets.

If anyone is worried about "big brother" using something like the Progressive snapshot or Onstar to track your speed or location, this can already be done using your cell phone.
Gotcha, their prices arent that competitive around here. At least last time I checked. I see so many ads promising great prices and I started calling and getting some quotes. Finally just gave up....For now.......lol

Yep, the cell phone GPS is watching......
haulingnothing likes this.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Gotcha, their prices arent that competitive around here. At least last time I checked. I see so many ads promising great prices and I started calling and getting some quotes. Finally just gave up....For now.......lol

Yep, the cell phone GPS is watching......
**Off topic** Yeah I have had people complain about the Amazon Dot listening to every word I say.. how could I allow that thing in my house. These same people have android phones that they carry everywhere they go, and not only have microphones but also cameras.

Back on topic:

Yeah it says I had some hard accelerations. How else am I suppose to properly break in the engine and seat the rings and all that. It's still a new truck.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode