Use Android Auto and cannot use phone - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I have my phone setup with Tasker to ready my text messages allowed when connected to the MyLink Bluetooth. It does this even if I've not connected to the Android Auto.
You need an app to text via bluetooth with Android? Interesting....

With my iphone, I don't need a separate app. I can call up Siri and send text messages. Do you have a similar 'voice' for Android?

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

With my iphone, I don't need a separate app. I can call up Siri and send text messages. Do you have a similar 'voice' for Android?
Nope, I can use Google Assistant. Tasker is an automation app that will do things for you based on conditions. When I get a text message and am connected to MyLink Bluetooth, Tasker will read me the sender and the message aloud without any input from me.

Google "Tasker" and read a little bit about it.

2016 Colorado
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
Thanks to all who corrected my misinformation! I am really glad to hear that it is possible to receive a call when using AA. I saw a YouTube video that said the phone would not work when AA was active. Maybe it was an old video? Anyway, thanks to all for correcting my error - I hate to get bad info on the internet!
the person who made the vid probably didn't know that many phones now come with a setting that automatically disables the phone if it senses motion above 5mph. He/she probably didn't know they can turn that off

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

PMFBI, but yes, once an Android phone is connected to the system with a USB cable, and Android Auto is running, it's easy to send a voice text by saying "hello google". Then I'm sure it's the same process as using Siri......wish google had a nice name.....maybe Gloria or Glendora or ......?

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
PMFBI, but yes, once an Android phone is connected to the system with a USB cable, and Android Auto is running, it's easy to send a voice text by saying "hello google". Then I'm sure it's the same process as using Siri......wish google had a nice name.....maybe Gloria or Glendora or ......?
With Siri - I dont' need to be plugged in via USB. Only bluetooth - no carplay needed. I can call up Siri by pressing and holding the voice button on my steering wheel (long press).

Short press = GM voice
Long press = Siri

You should try it without being plugged in via USB. Do a 'long press' on the voice button on the steering wheel (if you have it) and wait for the Gloria 'beeps' (or whatever sound you usually hear). Maybe it'll work for you.

My phone stays in my pocket the entire time.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
With Siri - I dont' need to be plugged in via USB. Only bluetooth - no carplay needed. I can call up Siri by pressing and holding the voice button on my steering wheel (long press).
Same for Google Now
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
I have android (samsung s7) and I get some weird issues when trying to use google now with phone connected via bluetooth to truck. It's like the audio connections aren't being established fully. On the phone I can tell it's listening but not hearing me speak. I have the google now/assistant option set to work on bluetooth. Using USB/AndroidAuto and pressing the steering wheel button it works more reliably for me.

2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 Midnight Edition
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
Nope, I can use Google Assistant. Tasker is an automation app that will do things for you based on conditions. When I get a text message and am connected to MyLink Bluetooth, Tasker will read me the sender and the message aloud without any input from me.

Google "Tasker" and read a little bit about it.
Oh God, another i-phanboy trying to tell us how much better Apple is than Android. Don't let him troll you, don't even bother responding. BTW, don't tell him to google tasker, he need another app for that. 😉
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 AM

On my Samsung s7 you hit press the tasks button then the home button and you'll have full control of your phone again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Short press = GM voice
Long press = Siri

You should try it without being plugged in via USB. Do a 'long press' on the voice button on the steering wheel (if you have it) and wait for the Gloria 'beeps' (or whatever sound you usually hear). Maybe it'll work for you.

My phone stays in my pocket the entire time.
I will have to try that, leaving the phone unplugged. That would be more convenient for sure. But I am an old guy and don't really use the "smart phone" so much....it's so much smarter than I am! <g> I have watched with amazement as my grandson zoomes around his, doing all sorts of things in spectacular fashion! I sure do like being able to make/receive calls, but that's a pretty basic thing with today's vehicles. My wife and I recently returned from vacation, she in her car, I in my new truck. It was so handy to be able to chat back and forth as we'd do if we were sitting side by side.

This new Canyon is an amazing piece of machinery. I'm glad I traded when I did.
Janster likes this.

Bose/Nav
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Same for Google Now
What can google do once you're done the long "talk" button. I know dial a number but what google-maps? Any chance of getting Pandora through google without connecting the USB cable? Now that would be very handy!

Bose/Nav
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
What can google do once you're done the long "talk" button. I know dial a number but what google-maps? Any chance of getting Pandora through google without connecting the USB cable? Now that would be very handy!
I'm not familiar with Android, but I would assume you have the same or similar capabilities as iPhones.

EXPERIMENT..... Don't be afraid to try something. Don't ask on here ... just DO IT.

Long press the voice button and call up your Android assistant......and try to text (person). The Assistant should work the same way as she/he does when you're not in the truck. Call up for playing an artist, or even ask to play PANDORA.

Ask to go to a certain address......I'm sure a map will pop up on your phone (not the Intellilink screen because you're not plugged in).

Try it...... and watch the results. YOu learn more by experimenting.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Pair with bluetooth, then your good. Pandora streams through Bluetooth. Google map voice navigation will stream through Bluetooth.

Once paired the following works https://www.cnet.com/how-to/complete...ogle-commands/ when you long press the the check key on the steering wheel.

Last edited by bac522; 05-03-2017 at 08:04 AM.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Android, but I would assume you have the same or similar capabilities as iPhones.

EXPERIMENT..... Don't be afraid to try something. Don't ask on here ... just DO IT.

Long press the voice button and call up your Android assistant......and try to text (person). The Assistant should work the same way as she/he does when you're not in the truck. Call up for playing an artist, or even ask to play PANDORA.

Ask to go to a certain address......I'm sure a map will pop up on your phone (not the Intellilink screen because you're not plugged in).

Try it...... and watch the results. YOu learn more by experimenting.
You're right about the experimenting.....best way to learn. Next time I'm driving where I can "fiddle" with the system I will try google using that long push on the talk button and without connecting the USB cable. I have used AA to do the things you mentioned trying, and they worked very well, but then I was connected with the cable at that time. BTW, for those who might wonder, my phone is a 2017 version of a Samsung Galaxy J3. I bought it a week before I picked up my truck as my older LG phone was not compatible with AA....and probably would have had other issues since it's operating system was so very, very old.....maybe 2-3 years?
Janster likes this.

Bose/Nav
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Pair with bluetooth, then your good. Pandora streams through Bluetooth. Google map voice navigation will stream through Bluetooth.

Once paired the following works https://www.cnet.com/how-to/complete...ogle-commands/ when you long press the the check key on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the link. Holy Cow, that's a lot of capability!

Bose/Nav
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Try "navigate to 123 main street" or "navigate home" "navigate to work", I use these all the time just to see traffic and best route.

For Pandora, "play <music station> on Pandora"

Lots of things you can do with google now.... "weather forecast" "text wife, I'm on my way" "remind me to take out the trash in 30 minutes" "nba scores" "turn on flashlight"

Top 100 Google Now Tips, Tricks and Voice Commands - G This, G That !

Use Google Now to Control Third-Party Apps with Your Voice

https://www.androidpit.com/google-no...ny-do-you-know

2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 Midnight Edition
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Good tips. You don't even need to use navigate just to see traffic. If you have your home and work addresses set in google maps, you can just say, "How's the traffic going home/to work?" and she will tell you traffic conditions and drive time. I use this every time I go to and from, because in LA, there can be traffic at any hour.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Also try using the auto assistant by saying "OK Google" to do any commands. Don't know how well it would work in the pocket though.

A while back was listening to a morning radio show and they were talking about Siri and Google assistant and said "OK Google" and the sob responded to it. Took me a second to realize what was happening.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
...........A while back was listening to a morning radio show and they were talking about Siri and Google assistant and said "OK Google" and the sob responded to it. Took me a second to realize what was happening.
HA!
Yesterday I did get to experiment with using Google while my phone was not plugged into the USB cable. Amazing what she an do. I am constantly pleased with what I learn each day about my new (7 days since delivered) truck. I still prefer the AA ap while plugged into the truck's system for many things, however, but as I get more educated with the functions available without plugging in I'm sure I will slowly change my mine.

It's good for a 70 year old fart to learn new things, yes?
kevin1 likes this.

Bose/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode