Use Android Auto and cannot use phone - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Use Android Auto and cannot use phone

I am in the process of getting a 2017 Canyon. Have been doing a little research on the AA ap and the MyLink system in anticipation of updating my phone. The old one was an LG phone that was not compatible (Android version 4.2) with AA, the new one is: Samsung Galaxy J3 (Android version 6-something).

Anyway, in my research I have learned that if one uses AA (for instance, to use Google Maps or Pandora with the MyLink system), one cannot dial or receive phone calls. I had earlier planned to stream Pandora on the new truck and just let the Sirius trail run out. I have my own Garmin GPS that I will use whenever I travel, even with GM's nav system installed in my truck. Not being able use the phone if using AA is not a deal breaker for me at all, but I was surprised that I had not read that anywhere before. So I thought I'd post that here in case anyone else is doing research on how this all works.

So, if folks are intending to not get the truck's Navigation option, but instead use Google Maps through their phone/MyLink system, you will not be able to also make/receive calls while doing that. Same restriction if planning to use Pandora (etc) - cannot use the phone. If I somehow am putting out incorrect info, someone PLEASE correct me!

BTW, anyone new to the Sirius game needs to do research......a post-trail subscription can be had for much less than the advertised rate, you just have to negotiate with them. On my wife's car we are paying $100 a year.....but it took about 6 months without a subscription until Sirius came around. With the truck I will call and tell them I'll take the same price once my trail runs out, or we can play the silly game of letting the trail run out, they send me offers, I ignore them until they finally make me a deal I cannot refuse. <g>

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM

I used AA every day. I totally love it in my 2016 Colorado. You can use the phone for both receiving and placing calls. To answer an incoming call press the answer button on the right side of the steering wheel. To place a call, you have two options. If you wish to use mylink to call press the call button and release without holding. This will bring up mylink voice prompts to call. You might say something like "call wife mobile" and it will dial.

The other option to dial is to use AA. That requires a long press on the call button. The normal google chime and then say something like "call wife mobile" and it will use AA to dial the number. I choose to use AA because I can also send a text message. Long hold "send text message to wife mobile". it will then ask what you want to send. "heading home" it will repeat and ask if you wish to send or change. "send it" and it is sent.

Hope this helps.
Eric Roberts likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Garage
As previous reply said, you can make calls with AA via voice, or... You can also go into a screen that will show your favorite (and frequent?) contacts to tap and it will dial, or on screen keypad. No texting screens though, you can text via voice though.

You can also access apps on phone too while using AA, you just have to go to the "task switcher" and hit close all apps (on my Samsung S7 edge at least). I wish AA would work wireless as I have been using wireless charging pad at home and work. My case has a cover over the USB port so it is kind of a pain to connect.

2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 Midnight Edition

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM

There's a whole phone page on AA that has recent calls and common contacts and you can even pull up a dial pad on the screen. It works quite well. Long holding the voice button brings up google voice instead of the truck voice commands as well, works much better than mylink. You can still use the phone as a phone when using AA...

Honestly imo the fact that while plugged in and using AA the phone screen is black and can't use it as much is a good thing. Cause we should all be using our phone while driving... It's freaking ridiculous how many people are so distracted while driving. For the love of God, you DO NOT need to text while driving, it can wait.
DrewNJ likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Garage
I use AA on both my Colorado and wifes Suburban all the time... Phone calls in/out, voice to Texting, maps, set alarms... once in a while it can be picky if you plug or unplug repeatedly, but otherwise I love it.

'16 Colorado CCLB Z71 Duramax Rainforest Green, Zone 2.75" lift/level on 255/75-17 Duratracs
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM

Not only can you make and receive calls via Android Auto screen, but you can also go to the phone screen on the MyLink system and see even more info.

2016 Colorado
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM

AA is amazing! I love it more than cake.
Duken4evr likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all who corrected my misinformation! I am really glad to hear that it is possible to receive a call when using AA. I saw a YouTube video that said the phone would not work when AA was active. Maybe it was an old video? Anyway, thanks to all for correcting my error - I hate to get bad info on the internet!

Bose/Nav
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:42 PM

I don't know what video you saw, but you can't pick the phone up and use it (well you can, but it is a PITA). You have to run everything through the trucks display.

2016 Colorado
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I don't know what video you saw, but you can't pick the phone up and use it (well you can, but it is a PITA). You have to run everything through the trucks display.
That actually is a huge benefit for me, not a problem. So glad I misunderstood the video I saw.

Bose/Nav
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. Brown View Post
I used AA every day. I totally love it in my 2016 Colorado. You can use the phone for both receiving and placing calls. To answer an incoming call press the answer button on the right side of the steering wheel. To place a call, you have two options. If you wish to use mylink to call press the call button and release without holding. This will bring up mylink voice prompts to call. You might say something like "call wife mobile" and it will dial.

The other option to dial is to use AA. That requires a long press on the call button. The normal google chime and then say something like "call wife mobile" and it will use AA to dial the number. I choose to use AA because I can also send a text message. Long hold "send text message to wife mobile". it will then ask what you want to send. "heading home" it will repeat and ask if you wish to send or change. "send it" and it is sent.

Hope this helps.
I use mine all the time too and actually the reason I bought another truck with it when the first was totaled.

You don't even need to push the button anymore to prompt AA. With AA connected and running just say "ok google". It will beep and you say what you want to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
David D. Brown likes this.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 AM

My big complaint with AA is no Waze yet, but suppose to be close...until then blue-tooth and a windshield mount provides everything I need. Long press the phone button on the steering wheel allows me to use google now for sending talk commands to my phone. Short press lets me make/receive phone calls.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
My big complaint with AA is no Waze yet, but suppose to be close...until then blue-tooth and a windshield mount provides everything I need. Long press the phone button on the steering wheel allows me to use google now for sending talk commands to my phone. Short press lets me make/receive phone calls.

I am a long time GPS owner. Bought the first Garmin StreetPilot for my truck back in 2000 when we were RVing a lot. Since then Since then I have always used one on trips, and generally it just stays on the dash, running all the time. Even though the new Canyon will have the GM Nav system, I plan to still keep my Garmin 2597 on the dash, although it means having that unsightly (!) power cable draping down to the power supply underneath. I like he operation of the Garmins, and since I've been using them for going on 20 years I can make them do pretty much all I want. However, I hope the GM nav will prove to be useful enough I can put the Garmin into the console storage most of the time! My wife's Mercedes GPS in her C300 does not impress me at all. I hope the GM one will be much better....the reading I have done so far sounds like it will be better, but still much less capable than my old 2597. We are picking up the new Canyon this weekend; looking forward to that.

Waze is nice, I agree. I have occasionally used it on my phone, and I think it's just as good if not better than GoogleMaps. However, I am an old fart and pretty much use my phone ...... well, as a PHONE only! <g>

Bose/Nav
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:55 AM

I noticed that this hasn't been mentioned yet. You can also call someone by saying "OK Google" which will bring up the google command prompts. You can also text people with this command prompt. "OK Google, text John Doe, Traffic is very bad and I'll be 10 mintutes late, send it."
sabbotage likes this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 PM

Once u get used to AA, u won't want to be without it. It is freakin awesome. Not only can u make calls, but u can use the Google Search function to find businesses, which will show you through Google Maps. IE... Find Thai food restaurants near me, or just say the name of the restaurant. You can then call the restaurant directly from maps and order your food for pick up! I love google.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Garage
The only thing I've noticed with AA (on my Google Pixel) is that once you connect the phone you need to go and "open" AA through the main screen. You can then proceed to go back to the Chevy/GMC screens. If you don't do this the text messages will only come through the Truck and not Android Auto (until you launch it for the first time). Crank up AA and say read me my text messages and there aren't any to read if it hasn't been started before.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I can see that I am for a longish learning curve to get all this working!<g>
4x4x4doors likes this.

Bose/Nav
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 AM

I have my phone setup with Tasker to ready my text messages allowed when connected to the MyLink Bluetooth. It does this even if I've not connected to the Android Auto.

I mainly use the Android Auto for the Google Maps navigation. The trucks navigation is years behind as far as updates to roads go. With the way Google keeps their maps updated, I don't know why anyone who has Android Auto or Apple CarPlay uses the factory nav or aftermarket window mounted nav.
Airwolf79 likes this.

2016 Colorado
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I have my phone setup with Tasker to ready my text messages allowed when connected to the MyLink Bluetooth. It does this even if I've not connected to the Android Auto.

I mainly use the Android Auto for the Google Maps navigation. The trucks navigation is years behind as far as updates to roads go. With the way Google keeps their maps updated, I don't know why anyone who has Android Auto or Apple CarPlay uses the factory nav or aftermarket window mounted nav.
Mind sharing your steps for tasker to do that? That would be nice to have.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. Brown View Post
Mind sharing your steps for tasker to do that? That would be nice to have.
PM me your email and I will send you the Profile file from Tasker.

It won't read MMS messages, so any pictures or group messages you get it will only say "%SMSRB". Tasker can't dictate MMS messages.

2016 Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode