Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Which is Better? - CarPlay vs. Android Auto

6K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Duken4evr 
#1 ·
I have a '16 Colorado that's compatible with the two major smartphones. Unfortunately, I've been an avid Windows 10 Mobile user for the last few years. With Microsoft dying slowly and painfully in the phone arena, I've decided to jump ship. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of both competitors and am wondering which is best for my Colorado. Specifically in the area of Carplay and Android Auto. My Lumia 950 connected just fine and read my text messages and let me dictate back. But what additional functions can I get? What are your favorite apps to use with each system? Would especially love to hear from someone who has used both.

Also, will I have to update my infotainment system at the dealership to be compatible with the newest versions of the OS? Thanks for any feedback!

#2 ·
I think you should really consider the phone and OS itself rather than which would be better in the truck. There's a huge difference between Apple and Android products and pros/cons for each that large amounts of people hate one or the other...

That said, AA supports more apps and has more function as well as gmaps instead of Apple maps.

#3 ·
Android all the way in IMO!
much less restrictions in every way connected to AA or just in normal use.

Now on to the bad news my phone has not been 100% on a error free experience it doesn't like a 2 min stop for fuel truck off phone still connected to the usb with switch off causes problems with my galaxy.

The extra freedom has a cost android is not 100% reliable due too so many different companies running different versions of android skins hardware etc.....

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I've used both in my colorado, I would say the CarPlay works much quicker, fluent then the laggy AA. Sound quality, AA was better.. that's about it. I had a Samsung galaxy s7, plugged in my wife's iPhone to see how CarPlay operated, and was blown away how much easier it was to operate and quicker to load up and switch been screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I've been using Android since the beginning, and have tried about every brand. I've found the less the manufacturer "tinkers" with Android the better. After having a couple of Nexus phones, I've now settled on Motorola as my favorite brand. I had a Samsung and felt they tried to add too many wiz-bang extras that are usually half-baked, and their updates are slow and usually break something.

So if you try android, grab a moto G5 plus for 230 bucks and it should work fine. Then, if you hate the experience, you can sell it on gazelle.com and go buy an iphone.

Good luck.

#8 · (Edited)
I have an iPhone provided by my work and Carplay works great in my Canyon. I like the Apple hardware, but would love to have an iPhone without iTunes, as I like to listen to music off my phone, and have an irrational hatred for that God forsaken over intrusive pain in the ass software. Retiring from my job soon, and my next phone will be an Android, probably an LG G6, just so I can get away from iTunes.

The Moto G5 phones sound interesting, have read good things about those and will consider.

#10 ·
You should find friends/family or something that have either one and try both out for yourself.

I however would never base my phone decision on the functionality of Carplay/AA alone, that would be purely the added benefit of whichever phone itself was better suited to me.

#19 ·
For sure, it's just an aspect that interests me. And who would know better than you guys!

Also, great idea. I'll bug my sister to let me use her iphone next time I see her and see how it works.

#11 ·
I was a die heard android guy for a long time. There are a few major shortcomings for Android. That murdered savagely my love of the OS.

1. Battery Life. I use my phone every day for work. I can't have a phone that I can't take off the charger for more than 3 hours. My iPhone 6+ and 7+ I can use the GPS, play music and surf the web while on the phone all day and I hardly get below 50%. My last two android phones (Samsung S6 and HTC DNA) would die just running GPS even while plugged into a high power charger.

2. It took a hack to take a screen shot. For the longest time, you have to root your android phone to do something so simple as taking a screenshot.

3. The UI is different on every flipping phone. The UI could be different from phone to phone in the same brand. WTF why? So many overlays and for what? NOTHING.

4. JUNKWARE my android phones came loaded with a ton of junk from the manufacturer and the cell provider that you could not get rid of unless again you rooted your phone. My iPhone came with NONE.

5. OS updates. Unless you have the Google phone good luck getting an OS update. My HTC and Samsung both wouldn't get an OS update till they were 2 versions ahead of where my phone was at. My iPhone again doesn't have this issue. Many times on the Android if you wanted the newest ROM you again had to root your phone and then install a third party ROM.

Now for ios.

1. Very little in the way of customizing can be done. Want a big clock on your home screen TOUGH.
2. I can't run some apps that I would like to unless I jailbreak my iPhone. I work in IT and sometimes need to use tools for wifi but I can't on my iPhone.
3. I no longer have a 3.5mm audio port.
4. I now have an urge to grow a man bun and wear skinny jeans. (Drinking Black Rifle Coffee takes care of this though FYI C.A.F. is amazing as is Silencer Smooth https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/).

#13 ·
I agree with most of this...but my Motorola Pure has no issues getting updates. I have had mine about a year and a half and have gotten al least three updates in that time period. I always get an alert that it is available asking if I am ready to update.

#18 ·
In my original post, I said I'm part of the 0.3% of US market share that uses Windows Mobile, an OS that has been left to die by most everyone. I don't have either iOS or Android, so I'm interested in the differences between the two in how they interface with my truck. I really don't have a preference one way or the other, just getting opinions at this point.

#17 ·
CPTTango30's IOS point 4 literally had me laughing out loud. I work from home, the Mrs was wondering WTF is going on, as I am supposed to be working right now :smile:

#21 ·
CarPlay is about my favorite feature on this truck, but I agree with others have said - don't pick a phone solely on the basis of what works best in your truck. We're an Apple family, we have iCloud accounts synced across multiple devices and so switching to Android at this point would be difficult.

CarPlay does everything I need it to do. I mostly listen to podcasts when I'm driving, or occasionally Apple or Amazon music. I also use the Apple Maps navigation features a lot. Overall CarPlay is easy to use, but it is kind of buggy. There are frequent times when I plug my phone into the USB jack and nothing happens. Sometimes the touch screen is non-responsive, especially when trying to press the 'play' button on a podcast (I have to do it from the phone). Waze is a far superior app to Apple Maps but it's not supported by CarPlay. If my kids have their iPhones plugged into the back seat USB jacks, they took over CarPlay whenever they tried to watch a video or play a game (until I bought line filters for the USB jacks that block data).

#22 ·
Don't buy a phone based on what the truck offers. Whether you go iphone or Android - its' a lifestyle change. What else do you use your phone for? What do you need

My husband and I have been iphone users since the day they came out. Our lifestyle is so connected - we use them for everything. Not only all the bluetooth accessories, our entertainment system is all connected, computers/printers, are connected, calenders, Garage doors, lighting in our house, music, etc.
For us to change....would be a PITA. I don't even use Carplay. Everything I use is via bluetooth. Voice commands, texting, music whatever.... on long trips, we might plug in for Pandora & Waze.

I wish there were more Apps - and/or the ability to mirror off your phone (so you could use anything on your phone).

You have to think of the BIG picture. What will you use your phone for? The truck is only a small piece of that.
Good Luck!

#23 ·
Don't buy a phone based on what the truck offers. Whether you go iphone or Android - its' a lifestyle change. What else do you use your phone for? What do you need

My husband and I have been iphone users since the day they came out. Our lifestyle is so connected - we use them for everything. Not only all the bluetooth accessories, our entertainment system is all connected, computers/printers, are connected, calenders, Garage doors, lighting in our house, music, etc.

For us to change....would be a PITA. I don't even use Carplay. Everything I use is via bluetooth. Voice commands, texting, music whatever.... on long trips, we might plug in for Pandora & Waze.

I wish there were more Apps - and/or the ability to mirror off your phone (so you could use anything on your phone).

You have to think of the BIG picture. What will you use your phone for? The truck is only a small piece of that.

Good Luck!

I have to agree with this. It's entirely interwoven into the fabric of my entertainment. 2 iPhones, 2 airport express and an Airport, 3 iPads, 3 Apple TVs + ITunes for music and movies and 10,000s of songs I'm pretty much Apples bitch at this point. At least I own some stock lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#25 ·
Pretty sure AA doesn't lock your phone out unless there was a recent change. Just press the Home button.

People think/thought that about CarPlay too but you just need to press Home and then you can unlock and use your phone screen like normal. If you do an iOS related function on the MyLink it will switch apps on the phone to mirror the MyLink but once you get that done you can use the use the phone to switch the phone display back to whatever you want on the phone screen

#27 ·
I wish i could switch to a iphone my daughter has a 6s+ tried it for awhile and felt like i was using a leapfrog..so simple i felt like i was losing brain cells by the second. But it was so simple that i could see the appeal for some. People dont realize that while the iphone is fast and has great battery life thats also because the screen is not even 1080p or barely... Couldnt wait to get my note 5 back...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I wish i could switch to a iphone my daughter has a 6s+ tried it for awhile and felt like i was using a leapfrog..so simple i felt like i was losing brain cells by the second. But it was so simple that i could see the appeal for some. People dont realize that while the iphone is fast and has great battery life thats also because the screen is not even 1080p or barely... Couldnt wait to get my note 5 back...

"The 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus gets a bump to Full HD with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels (401 ppi), also the same on the 6S Plus"

iPhone 7 vs. iPhone 7 Plus | Specs Comparison | Digital Trends

#28 ·
With AA if you swipe down the notification bar, you can select "Turn Off AA" and use your phone as is plugged in (still charging). Hit the AA button on the infotainment screen to go back, nav or anything will have to be reset though.

However, I COMPLETELY DISAGREE that the phone should be functional while plugged in using AA. You're driving, even at a stop light or anything, you are operating a vehicle. Checking anything at a stoplight is still distracted driving and illegal in most states. Save it until you're done with the trip or pull over and check if you need to. If Google allowed full access and function of the phone while using AA then they would catch crap when the inevitable crashes happen and people blame them because they allowed them to use the phone while driving.

Like to add too that Google has been saying they would add Waze to AA for a long time now without any known progress, but they did say it eventually would. So something to look forward to?

#33 ·
Like to add too that Google has been saying they would add Waze to AA for a long time now without any known progress, but they did say it eventually would. So something to look forward to?
Why do you need WAZE with AA when the traffic data in Google Maps is already compiled with WAZE data?

It's the road candy huh? You like the road candies >:)

#32 ·
1080p works for me. If I want 4K I'm going to sit my ass on my couch with an ice cold shiner bock and watch all he 4K content I want in 70" of glory all while being comfortable in my drawers. I don't need a 4K or 2k phone. I need a phone that the battery last all day from 7 am till 7 pm with out worry. Android could never give me that. Plus I have way less issues with it over any android phone Or tablet I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
My Note 5 last all day no probs...your missing out on more than just screen...dont ever hold your phone next to a s8 you will be sad the difference is dramatic..not to mention my phone can charge crazy fast...but i get why people like them they are dead simple...and if your a teenage girl a iphone is a necessity unless you want to get laughed out of school...thankfully i am not...and i cant live in apples walled garden.. i got to be able to make my own home screen... Everybody has got there own jam tho

#37 ·
Personally if AA locks you out I think that sucks.

With CarPlay I have my phone display my OBDII gauges so it's nice controlling everything through my MyLink and then once I have it set and playing...say iPod music, being able to switch the phone screen back to my gauge cluster.

#38 · (Edited)
I bought an LG G5 unlocked phone for $299 on Amazon, it has been working great with Android Auto in my Canyon.

One notable difference, Android does not trust you to display your music on the screen while in AA mode. "MD Player" is the only music player App I could find which will display to the screen when in AA mode, and it will display your music to the screen, sort of. It is not perfect, but imperfect is better than nothing. The built in Android player annoyed me as it would not display my music on the screen like the iPhone used to in Carplay mode.

If you are frustrated by the music player in AA mode, check out MD Player. Google Maps works great, music playing via iHeart Radio or off my phone via MD Player, Google map chick telling me where to go, with the map on the screen, it all just works pretty peachy.

#40 ·
AndroidAuto hands down in my opinon.

- Google Maps is far superior
- The interface is much nicer if you use Spotify
- Its a simpler more basic interface, I like it since you ARE friggen driving, the less you watch your dash the less likely you are to run some poor sap off the road while you futz with your distracting center console :).
- Android Assistant is nice to use for voice navigation and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.