Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External CD Player for '17 Colorado

16K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Arctic Cat ZRT 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an external CD Player working in their truck? Today, I brought my Apple USB SuperDrive to the Dealer to see if it would play CDs in the truck. I plugged it into the USB port inside the center console and the port below the dash in the center. The Drive seemed to power up, but the Truck's system did not recognize the device, and could not play the CD.

If I can get an external CD Player working in this truck, I just might buy it.

#2 · (Edited)
There is another thread about a CD Player and one member said he found an audio installer that said they could install one that would work with the factory radio.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...-lighting/336457-cd-player-2.html#post4124785

One interesting thing is that the GM Upfitter Body Manual for 2015 shows wiring for a CD player. And, there are some promo pictures from back in 2015 that show the Colorado dash having a CD Player slot. Attached are wiring diagram interconnects for the 2017 Colorado which shows what appears like "Media Player". Also, attached is the 2015 "Media Player" wiring interconnects which has similar, although, not completely the same wiring.

Not sure what that means for 2016-17 models or even if 2015 models were ever really CD capable. Picture below:

Attachments

#3 ·
I noticed the FS trucks, the screen and control area looks exactly the same but has that spot for a CD player like the picture above.
I saw someone on here took a picture of the back of that trim when they removed it and it even has a cutout area that would appear to support it, the only thing missing is the actual hardware. Maybe something from the FS trucks could be retrofitted?

Another easy option would to just plug an aux cable between a walkman or portable CD player (if you still have one, we all did at one point) and just plug it into the aux outlet and play it like any other external aux.

#4 ·
Do yourself a favor and put all your CDs on a USB drive. You wont have to carry around a small fortune worth of CDs, which means nobody will smash a window to steal them. And you wont use any of the limited storage space in your cab. Plus the sound will be as good if not better. You can browse the music on your USB drive with the controls on the steering wheel, keeping your eyes pointed forward where they are most helpful.

#5 · (Edited)
I was wondering how long it would take. . . . LOL :laugh:

Seriously, this thread is about wanting a CD player. Not to discuss the merits of a CD to USB. It always comes down to that. It is about having a CD preference just as others may have a USB preference.

I use both USB and CD in our other vehicle. We just like CDs also as others apparently do. We do know we can put music on a USB from CD or other sources. And sound quality is often "not as good or better". Even using higher bit rates. Using a lossless format is best or even .wav. I can hear the difference between the same song at mp3 320kbps and a .wav file of the same song.

And, I doubt using the USB somehow results in no looking at the screen for most users. Try finding and selecting a folder or album without looking at the screen. Even if you program a radio "Button" for a particular artist or genre, you still have to look at the screen. Some of us also use our co pilot for inserting and removing a CD. So no issues there.

But, *again*, as stated, we all know music files can be played from a USB.

Some of us just plain WANT a CD Player. :grin2:

Reactions: plym67cuda
#6 ·
I copied songs from CD's to USB stick but system does not recognize playlists and plays all songs in random order. I don't like listening to a Toby Keith song followed by one of my rock artists. Did not have that issue with CD's.

Reactions: Noel Valencia
#8 ·
Ya ya ya, I know a bunch of people hate CDs... and a bunch of you think I'm some kind of old timer from the 1920s. I'm not. I'm in my mid 30s, I used to even be a drummer in a rock band and made my own CDs back in the day. Of course, I know all about USB sticks and whatever, but I do not want that. I want a CD Player. Um, that's why I posted the OP!

So, if you know of any external CD Player setup that will work in this truck, please let me know. If you want to criticize CDs, start your own OP and have at it!

#11 ·
Just get a portable CD player of choice, and use the 3.5mm AUX input jack next to the front USB, from the unit headphone jack. You won't have any integrated vehicle controls, other than on the player itself, and can't attest to sound quality. I did this with my 2008, except I used it with my Sansa clip for MP3's, instead of using the CD player.

#9 · (Edited)
Here's hoping that we can have this discussion about having a CD player now . . . .. without more trying to sell and convert to what they prefer.

We know about USB devices. . ... I even use them...... still want a built in or add on CD Player without changing the factory radio out.

Based on the radio wiring diagram and the earlier picture of a 2015 Colorado with a CD slot showing, perhaps there is a way to tap into existing connections.

And let's not continue with the adolescent pictures of a '90s plug in portable. We know about those too. Thanks.

#10 ·
I really wish people would stop showing the "pre-production" marketing rendering of the 2015 Colorado. When that was drawn, there were still a lot of things that didn't happen. (Switchblade key fob, etc).

If you want to try it, there are plenty of the CD player units from the Silverado (same unit for buicks and cadillacs, etc) on ebay.
What you will probably need to be able to do this:

- wiring harness to connect to the HMI,
- some method to mount the unit
- modify the dash bezel for the slot you need
- need to figure out how to mount and wire an eject button
- Once you get all that done, you will probably need to find a dealership that is willing to flash the BCM and HMI to recognize the CD player (if they even can do that).

In the end it is a lot of work. A lot of unknowns, and compared to loading usb drives, not worth the effort. That is why you always get someone recommending it on these type of threads. Chevy will likely not add a cd player to the Twins, so there's no use in "petitioning" them to do it.

Easier options:

1. Load your music onto USB drive(s)
2. Install an aftermarket in dash unit that has a CD player built in (replaces the existing screen with a new unit)
3. Use a "discman" portable cd player plugged into the AUX jack

Can we please merge this with the other CD player thread?

#12 ·
I really wish people would stop showing the "pre-production" marketing rendering of the 2015 Colorado. When that was drawn, there were still a lot of things that didn't happen. (Switchblade key fob, etc).

The wiring diagrams are not "pre production". So there apparently may be unused connections to the stock radio.

I really wish people would stop making sideways critical remarks about those who wish to investigate adding a CD player. The illustration is just that. Something to work off of since the wiring diagrams seem to support that there may be CD player connections. Is it feasible? Something to explore.
Many of us have have heard about the possible use of a Silverado based adaptation. Not much concrete to go on there so far.

And others do what others always do. . yah, yah. . "just plug it in the AUX using a 3.5mm jack." Not what we are talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.