Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

No Pandora unless phone connected with Android Audo?

15K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  MV10 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2017 GMC Canyon (below). I SWEAR when I got the truck it had Pandora on the "default" MyLink screen once my cell phone was paired to the truck using BlueTooth but BEFORE I connected the USB cable. Maybe Pandora was even on the MyLink screen before I paired my phone; cannot remember.

Anyway, now I do not have Pandora on my MyLink screen. If I connect my phone to my truck with the USB cable I can get to Pandora using Android Auto and it plays fine. But I SWEAR (again) that I saw Pandora when the salesman was doing his this-is-how-things-work session with me.

Am I going nuts?:surprise:

#2 ·
Yup...you're going nuts. I'm sitting here doubting myself ...
I've never seen any Pandora logo or Pandora link while connected to bluetooth. Mine only shows the 'bluetooth' symbol with the name of my phone - and it doesn't care what you're playing from the phone.

YOu'll see the Pandora APP show up on your AA Carplay screen - but that's only when your plugged in via USB.

You will never be able to run both Bluetooth & Carplay/AA at the same time. When connected via USB - the truck automatically disconnects the bluetooth connection.

#3 ·
Mine won't run Pandora without being connected to the phone. AND, mine does have the Pandora Icon on the screen. It's been there since I got the truck almost a year ago and that is without being connected either way. When I push on the icon, it says you need to connect a compatible device... haha... I don't use Pandora so I wish I could take it off the screen somehow...

Attachments

#4 ·
My 2016 Equinox came with a Pandora icon to access over Blue Tooth but my 2017 Colorado does not. My Samsung S5 Mini has Android 5.0 Lollipop, Pandora, and Bluetooth enabled. If I play Pandora on my phone inside the truck with bluetooth enabled, the sound does play over the speakers. I do miss not having the Pandora icon on my truck.

#5 ·
I have noticed this as well. My phone connects to MyLink via bluetooth, but Pandora will hang-up and not actually play. I connect and use Android Auto and it plays sometimes. I have come to the conclusion that it's the Pandora app on my phone causing the problems. It seems to be showing an ad waiting for me to dismiss it or something. I mostly use Android Auto and Google Play Music, but sometimes I forget to take my phone out of my pocket and the local radio station is sucking so I try to switch to Pandora via bluetooth and it rarely works.

#6 ·
When I first bought my truck - It would start playing music out of the phone speakers as soon as I got IN the truck and started it. Found out, it was Pandora.

So - I had to log out of Pandora. Gave it 'a day' to confirm the phone would stop playing.

The next day after that - logged back into Pandora and its been fine ever since.

Try logging out and logging back in....

#7 ·
Part of the confusion is Bluetooth pairing versus the "app" on the screen. As I understand it, the "My Shop" is/was intended by GM to be another App Store/Google Play competitor with a suite of apps that would use the onboard wifi, rather than pairing with/streaming from your phone. Currently there are 3 apps in the store. Dismal failure is being kind describing the effort, so there are some vehicles that have the My Shop Pandora "App" icon, and others that do not.

GM has not handled the integration of existing tech particularly well, since each has their own subscription length, a separate login for each and varying trial periods (Onstar, Sirius, Onboard WiFi, MyShop)

#9 ·
Well, apparently I am sort of going nuts. At least I seem to be in good company with these Pandora oddities. I can live fine with what I have...I see no real reason for the Pandora icon to be on the screen since I must be connected with a USB cord to hear Pandora through the truck's system anyway. I don't have a problem connecting with USB on longer trips as I like the ease of using "hey google" to send the occasionally voice to text message. I rarely use Google Maps, as I think the truck navigation system is adequate, and if I want more I will just plug in my Garmin standalone GPS - for me is works FAR better for saving waypoints, routes, etc.

There is quite a learning curve with this truck, at least the MyLink/Infotainment system. But that's fine as I like the technology.......mostly. <g>

#10 ·
Maybe you remember the icon from a 2016 truck and it was removed in 2017? I have it on my home screen but since I have a phone connected with Android Auto pressing the icon pops up a message that it's unavailable when Android Auto is connected.

#11 ·
I wanted MyLink specifically to get Pandora integration (which I've gotten used to with aftermarket stereos going back almost 10 years), so I was pretty disappointed when it didn't seem to be available. Yesterday I decided to burn some time making phone calls, and after getting bounced around to various tech support groups, I reached a guy who specifically deals with MyLink apps. Unfortunately, he confirmed Pandora is no longer supported on any MyLink that supports Android Auto (and presumbly CarPlay though I didn't ask).

Very disappointing as I'm not a big fan of Android Auto's ugly Playskool graphics and limited functionality.

I also find it more than a little underhanded that Chevy advertising continues to feature Pandora integration, including screenshots with the stand-alone app icon. I'm also pretty sure the icon was shown on MyLink demo mode during some test drives.

So, to the OP: nope, you're not going nuts. GM giveth, GM taketh away.

Reactions: Dorsey
#24 ·
Thank you for posting this. My 2016 has the Pandora icon and until about a month ago I could play Pandora over BT simply by pressing the icon. I could also plug in cable and play Pandora from the Pandora icon on Android Auto. Now Pandora refuses to connect over BT but plays fine over AA. I think you found the reason.

#13 ·
Right but if you have a newer MyLink, there is no corresponding stand-alone Pandora app on the truck side.

#15 ·
Interesting. I don't think my 17 has the mute icon and whatever the other one is next to it, beside the 4G LTE and WiFi icons.

The My Store apps are just there to get you to purchase a data plan through OnStar, since none of them work without it. You aren't missing anything.

#16 ·
Interesting. I don't think my 17 has the mute icon and whatever the other one is next to it, beside the 4G LTE and WiFi icons.
Same here on my 17.

#17 ·
I was having issues with the MyLink Pandora app sometimes working and sometimes not, I had to reset the cars wi-fi even though I had the wi-fi icon and LTE icons, the wi-fi turned itself off, wants I reenabled Wi-fi (you have to pay to the LTE connection to actually having working Wi-Fi) Pandora MyLink App is working perfectly.

#20 ·
Weather is one of the default apps, that only works with an OnStar/data subscription. You can remove apps from the screen and move them around. Might be someone was messing with the system. There is a Weather Channel app in the store, but it requires the same, or maybe tethering your phone in the 2017+ Twins. Haven't tried that, but would assume it should work.

#22 ·
Thankyou Thunderbear. I told Onstar to piss off from the get go.
I have Weather channel on my phone but I don't think it shows on the truck screen, unless they changed something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.