2016 Colorado LT - Autoplay with iPhone on BT and/or Carplay? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

2016 Colorado LT - Autoplay with iPhone on BT and/or Carplay?

Hey everyone,

New to the site and a new Colorado owner. I've had my '16 LT Crew for about 6 weeks now and I love it! However, I've got a minor annoyance and I can't seem to find much info out on it.

75% of the time I'm driving, I use Carplay with my iPhone connected via USB. But there are times when I'm making a short trip that I'll just hop in and go.

Regardless of USB or Bluetooth, it seems that the stereo unit sends a "play" command to my phone as soon as it's paired up. But most of the time, the stereo unit is muted, so I don't know that it's playing because there's no sound coming out.

I'll get down the road somewhere and look at my phone and find that it's been playing the entire time and I had no idea. I've even tried to eliminate this upon my arrival. I'll get to my destination, switch the stereo to the radio, then hold the power button until it shuts down. Then turn off the truck and move on.

When I come back later to leave, I'll jump in, start the truck and head down the road in silence, only to find out my phone has been playing since I started the truck.

Thoughts on this? Anyone figured out how to eliminate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnecks View Post
Hey everyone,

New to the site and a new Colorado owner. I've had my '16 LT Crew for about 6 weeks now and I love it! However, I've got a minor annoyance and I can't seem to find much info out on it.

75% of the time I'm driving, I use Carplay with my iPhone connected via USB. But there are times when I'm making a short trip that I'll just hop in and go.

Regardless of USB or Bluetooth, it seems that the stereo unit sends a "play" command to my phone as soon as it's paired up. But most of the time, the stereo unit is muted, so I don't know that it's playing because there's no sound coming out.

I'll get down the road somewhere and look at my phone and find that it's been playing the entire time and I had no idea. I've even tried to eliminate this upon my arrival. I'll get to my destination, switch the stereo to the radio, then hold the power button until it shuts down. Then turn off the truck and move on.

When I come back later to leave, I'll jump in, start the truck and head down the road in silence, only to find out my phone has been playing since I started the truck.

Thoughts on this? Anyone figured out how to eliminate it?
This might sound like a stupid suggestion....but.... did you try to 'turn up' the volume either by the dial on dash or the buttons on steering wheel? Sometimes when you flip back-n-forth between modes, it doesn't always remember where it was before. Similar things like this have happened to me.
Turn the dial or press the buttons and look at the 'volume' bar.

Are you playing Pandora? After I first bought my truck - I had some weird situations with Pandora. All I needed to do is LOG OUT of Pandora (on your phone) and log back in.

You could also try rebooting your phone (turn it on/off).

You could also check ALL of your audio settings in the truck and make sure something isn't set up wrong, etc. If you don't understand what the settings do - just GOOGLE them online. Believe me....after I bought this thing, I went thru ALL the settings and googled just about everything.

Good Luck!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey Janster:

You're spot on with what's happening. If I hit a volume button to change it, then it starts playing audibly. However, my goal isn't to get it to play so that I can hear it, my goal is to NOT have start playing automatically.

I do have a Pandora account, but I haven't used it in quite some time. Mostly, I'm either using the iOS Music or Podcast app and that's what picks up when I fire up the truck.

My Google machine tells me that I'm not the only one frustrated with it, but the only "solutions" are goofy things like recording a "blank" music track or something..... i.e. not solving the actual problem of auto playing.

Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnecks View Post
Hey Janster:

You're spot on with what's happening. If I hit a volume button to change it, then it starts playing audibly. However, my goal isn't to get it to play so that I can hear it, my goal is to NOT have start playing automatically.

I do have a Pandora account, but I haven't used it in quite some time. Mostly, I'm either using the iOS Music or Podcast app and that's what picks up when I fire up the truck.

My Google machine tells me that I'm not the only one frustrated with it, but the only "solutions" are goofy things like recording a "blank" music track or something..... i.e. not solving the actual problem of auto playing.

Thanks!
I have Pandora on my phone and don't use it either. It's been forever since I evne opened the app and I didn't even realize I was even logged in. When I first bought the truck, Pandora would start playing out of my phone speakers as soon as I got in the truck everytime. It was odd....App wasn't even runnin or open. Dealership mentioned Pandora tends to 'override' everything and they were the ones that suggested I 'log out' and give it time and then log back in.

Whatever Apps you are using - try to either log out, make sure you have the most updated versions, or even delete the app off your phone temporarily - wait a couple days....and download it again or log back in. ???

Experiment...... sometimes there are still gremlins in the truck that show up from time to time. It's those gremlins that hang out for a while that'll drive you nuts!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
I have similar dis-like of the auto play that happens with Android, just with Bluetooth connection. For me the workaround is to switch the radio input off of media before exiting the truck. I switch it to a radio station then when I start up next time it plays that radio station again rather than music/audiobook/etc from my phone.

2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 Midnight Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode