How to access My POIs when truck is moving - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By ChevyTrucker2
  • 1 Post By ChevyTrucker2
  • 1 Post By RatRacer
  • 2 Post By ChevyTrucker2
  • 1 Post By ChevyTrucker2
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
How to access My POIs when truck is moving

I added a bunch of POIs to my truck's OEM nav system, for instance, Rest Stops. Those would be handy to find when we are traveling. However, today I tried to locate a rest stop along my route (using the Nav, Destination, POIs, POIs On My Route, MyPOIs. I was not able to view a list of those rest stop POIs on my route as I could not get to them using the touch screen when the truck was in motion. I could only see the first page of the POIs...MyPOIs are on the second page. Now I can get to them just fine while the truck is not moving. Obviously not being able to find a rest stop POI when the truck is moving is a big problem. I tried to get those POIs using the voice system, but could not figure out how to do that. But there must be a way......right? <g>

Has anyone added MyPOIs and have figured out how to access them when the truck is in motion?

It occurs to me this is not a problem with the Contacts <aka waypoints> I've added.....I can get them via voice as long as I know the contact's name, i.e., Nav-Destination-Contact-"Nora's House".

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,143
I'm curious to know also

When I first bought the truck, I had played around with saving locations and renaming them to access later. Favorite restaurants, locations, car washes, etc. There was some confusion on my part as to what exactly they were saved as - Favorites or POI's?? There is a difference in what they're saved as and how you access them. I just never figured it out.

The reason why I never bothered with it....because after I visited the dealership to update Carplay, they literally deleted everything. All the locations I had saved were completely gone. Then, I tried to research on how to backup my saved locations? Tried calling dealership asking them 'How' or 'if' they backup the information and *please don't delete it*. They didn't have any answers for me. So I stopped saving locations ...

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
When I first bought the truck, I had played around with saving locations and renaming them to access later. Favorite restaurants, locations, car washes, etc. There was some confusion on my part as to what exactly they were saved as - Favorites or POI's?? There is a difference in what they're saved as and how you access them. I just never figured it out.
I've only had the truck for about 2 weeks, but I am a pretty heavy GPS user. Here is what I have figured out: When you manually save a position, like you've driven to your favorite new restaurant and you want to save it for later navigation (by pressing the vehicle's location on the map and pressing the Save button), it gets saved to the vehicle's (not the phone, obviously) contacts. Not only that, but you must go in to the Vehicle Contacts (which means changing contacts from your phone to your vehicle), finding what you just saved....with might be something as meaningless as "city-name", or it could be an address (123 Main Street).

The next step is to select position/contact you just saved, which is often, but not always, at the top of your Vehicle Contact list, and Edit its name, changing it to "My Fav Restaurant" or whatever. AND saving it is a little confusing....there is no Save icon on that edit page, just a check mark on top of a floppy disk icon if I remember correctly. It's just to the right of the Name field in the Edit screen. If you back out of that edit page you MIGHT be presented with a "Save?" button unless you have pressed the floppy icon, I do not remember.

Now my confusion is what the GPS system actually DOES with that contact for later navigation. I know I can can go to the Destinations:Contacts; and change the contact source to Vehicle and then navigate to it, but I THINK that might not be necessary......just saying "Destination, Contact...My Fav Restaurant" might also work. BUT, more experimenting is needed. And I am not at all sure I can do that if the truck is moving!

Quote:
The reason why I never bothered with it....because after I visited the dealership to update Carplay, they literally deleted everything. All the locations I had saved were completely gone. Then, I tried to research on how to backup my saved locations? Tried calling dealership asking them 'How' or 'if' they backup the information and *please don't delete it*. They didn't have any answers for me. So I stopped saving locations ...
There are directions for saving your contacts to a USB drive, but I have not tried that yet. They are somewhere in the InfoTainment manual. I have successfully uploaded POIs from my PC to my truck's navigation system. (If anyone needs my directions let me know). So those contacts/POIs I earlier uploaded have a backup on the USB drive I used.

Of course you don't need to worry about saving the contacts from your phone, they are still on the phone (at least) and that list should update and populate the nav system every time your phone connects. But that brings up another issue.....Using the restaurant example above, if I have contacts on both my phone AND on the vehicle, which actually gets used if I say "Destination: Contact.....My Fav Restaurant"?

I know there are many who don't use the GM navigation system at all, but I paid good money for it, dammit, and I'm doing my best to understand it! I have and have used Android Auto a few times, and like much of it, but for longer trip navigation I much prefer a GPS. (For a one time, point to point drive Google Maps is okay) However, my stand alone Garmin 2797 with lifetime maps is much, much better at ANY GPS function on either the GM or Google Maps <IMHO>, but I'd prefer to leave it in the console for "emergency" use. I don't want to spoil my truck's exquisite good looks by having a GPS stuck to the windshield and have the power cable dangling down. Call me vain.
Janster likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 2,986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
I added a bunch of POIs to my truck's OEM nav system, for instance, Rest Stops. Those would be handy to find when we are traveling. However, today I tried to locate a rest stop along my route (using the Nav, Destination, POIs, POIs On My Route, MyPOIs. I was not able to view a list of those rest stop POIs on my route as I could not get to them using the touch screen when the truck was in motion. I could only see the first page of the POIs...MyPOIs are on the second page. Now I can get to them just fine while the truck is not moving. Obviously not being able to find a rest stop POI when the truck is moving is a big problem. I tried to get those POIs using the voice system, but could not figure out how to do that. But there must be a way......right? <g>

Has anyone added MyPOIs and have figured out how to access them when the truck is in motion?

It occurs to me this is not a problem with the Contacts <aka waypoints> I've added.....I can get them via voice as long as I know the contact's name, i.e., Nav-Destination-Contact-"Nora's House".
I believe that if you put some weight on the passenger seat, it allows use in motion, because it thinks you have a co-pilot doing the operating. How much weight is what you need to figure.
RatRacer is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I believe that if you put some weight on the passenger seat, it allows use in motion, because it thinks you have a co-pilot doing the operating. How much weight is what you need to figure.
If true that would be handy, as I often have my wife in the passenger seat. However, her MB C300 isn't that smart; makes no difference if there is someone in passenger seat, you still cannot access much of its navigation functions. Those who think the GM nav system is lacking ought to test drive a Mercedes!
Janster likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
.boB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 168
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I believe that if you put some weight on the passenger seat, it allows use in motion, because it thinks you have a co-pilot doing the operating. How much weight is what you need to figure.
That doesn't work in my truck.

And, why would you save your favorite anything in the GPS? Once you've been there, you know how to get there.

.boB
2016 Colorado: long bed, Z71, Mini-Duramax
www.RacingTheExocet.com
.boB is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 2,986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
That doesn't work in my truck.

And, why would you save your favorite anything in the GPS? Once you've been there, you know how to get there.
I had seen it mentioned before, so I passed the possibility along.

While I'm of the same line of thinking, it needs to be realized that not everybody is blessed with a sense of directional memory.
Janster likes this.
RatRacer is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
I've only had the truck for about 2 weeks, but I am a pretty heavy GPS user. Here is what I have figured out: When you manually save a position, like you've driven to your favorite new restaurant and you want to save it for later navigation (by pressing the vehicle's location on the map and pressing the Save button), it gets saved to the vehicle's (not the phone, obviously) contacts. Not only that, but you must go in to the Vehicle Contacts (which means changing contacts from your phone to your vehicle), finding what you just saved....with might be something as meaningless as "city-name", or it could be an address (123 Main Street).

The next step is to select position/contact you just saved, which is often, but not always, at the top of your Vehicle Contact list, and Edit its name, changing it to "My Fav Restaurant" or whatever. AND saving it is a little confusing....there is no Save icon on that edit page, just a check mark on top of a floppy disk icon if I remember correctly. It's just to the right of the Name field in the Edit screen. If you back out of that edit page you MIGHT be presented with a "Save?" button unless you have pressed the floppy icon, I do not remember.

Now my confusion is what the GPS system actually DOES with that contact for later navigation. I know I can can go to the Destinations:Contacts; and change the contact source to Vehicle and then navigate to it, but I THINK that might not be necessary......just saying "Destination, Contact...My Fav Restaurant" might also work. BUT, more experimenting is needed. And I am not at all sure I can do that if the truck is moving!

There are directions for saving your contacts to a USB drive, but I have not tried that yet. They are somewhere in the InfoTainment manual. I have successfully uploaded POIs from my PC to my truck's navigation system. (If anyone needs my directions let me know). So those contacts/POIs I earlier uploaded have a backup on the USB drive I used.

Of course you don't need to worry about saving the contacts from your phone, they are still on the phone (at least) and that list should update and populate the nav system every time your phone connects. But that brings up another issue.....Using the restaurant example above, if I have contacts on both my phone AND on the vehicle, which actually gets used if I say "Destination: Contact.....My Fav Restaurant"?

I know there are many who don't use the GM navigation system at all, but I paid good money for it, dammit, and I'm doing my best to understand it! I have and have used Android Auto a few times, and like much of it, but for longer trip navigation I much prefer a GPS. (For a one time, point to point drive Google Maps is okay) However, my stand alone Garmin 2797 with lifetime maps is much, much better at ANY GPS function on either the GM or Google Maps <IMHO>, but I'd prefer to leave it in the console for "emergency" use. I don't want to spoil my truck's exquisite good looks by having a GPS stuck to the windshield and have the power cable dangling down. Call me vain.
It's been a long time since I messed with any of that - but that's exactly how I remember it. I did save manual locations and renamed them - but obviously I gave up after the dealership deleted everything. Ugh......
I don't use the Nav all that often but its extremely helpful for the 'directionally challenged' person that I am.

There's a toss-up whether I'd save them in the truck or just save them in my phone. It depends on what it is.

I'd be really curious how to save the stuff onto USB. What else would that save? Does it save all your radio presets and favorites bar also? And would it save the 'indexing' that it does when you have music files/ipod/USB? Sorry, too many questions.... LOL.

We used to run with Nuvi's - I still have one upstairs. By today's standards - it's 'ancient' LOL. My husband has a 2 year old Infinity with Navigation. He uses WAZE on his phone instead! LOL

If I remember correctly - the last time we were both in the truck together - using the Navigation, we were able to use and manipulate the navigation features. We'd get one of those 'warning messsages' and you were forced to press OK......but after that, it was fine. I can't say if I ever tried to set up a navigation while driving - usually I do it before. But now I'm curious.....will have to test it.

I know when I try to use SIRI via voice to search the internet while driving - she always says "I can't do that while your driving" (or something like that). I prompted an arguement with Siri one day asking her "Why won't you search while I'm driving?" - I kept prompting her and asking her questions. It was actually kinda funny (and I was in that sorta mood). LOL

Like you...I like to know how it all works so I can utilize it to my advantage. You pay for it....you should use it!! :)
Thanks for the information!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
That doesn't work in my truck.

And, why would you save your favorite anything in the GPS? Once you've been there, you know how to get there.
Well..... for those of us (me) who don't have a map in our heads....

It's easy to remember when you go to the same place over and over again so you 'remember' the route Home to Point A. Sure...it's easy.

But, if you've never driven from your Mother-in-laws house to that same Point A - there's no memory of how to get there because you've never done it...

My husband never understands my *lack of a map* in my head.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
That doesn't work in my truck.

And, why would you save your favorite anything in the GPS? Once you've been there, you know how to get there.
Too bad on the passenger seat.....I figured as much.

On the GPS favorites (aka waypoints/contacts), I'm not as smart as you are.....I figure I'll probably need to get to that same place again, but this time I'll be coming from a different direction.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
............

While I'm of the same line of thinking, it needs to be realized that not everybody is blessed with a sense of directional memory.
Ya got that right, friend. I figure I must suffer from a malady best described as "geographical dyslexia". I'm not sure I can back out of my garage without a GPS.....
RatRacer and Janster like this.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I'd be really curious how to save the stuff onto USB. What else would that save? Does it save all your radio presets and favorites bar also? And would it save the 'indexing' that it does when you have music files/ipod/USB? Sorry, too many questions.... LOL.
I don't know, but would like to find out. If nobody on this forum knows the answers, I suspect some geek somewhere in GM-Land hidden away in an electronic research laboratory is the only person who does!

Quote:
We used to run with Nuvi's - I still have one upstairs. By today's standards - it's 'ancient' LOL. My husband has a 2 year old Infinity with Navigation. He uses WAZE on his phone instead! LOL
I still have my Garmin 2997 that I've been using the last 4 or so years. It's about number 8 in a long line of GPS units I've had since the early 2000 when we started RVing. They are so handy for traveling cross country, etc. I'd plan our long trips on the PC, then download then onto the Garmin. I still use a Garmin Zumo on my touring motorcycle; can't imagine taking a long trip without one. They make for more relaxing travel when you don't have to consult maps, etc, etc. Of course, this was long before "smart" phones, and I understand why youngsters might find them more convenient. Well, they are I suppose, but not nearly as capable.

Quote:
If I remember correctly - the last time we were both in the truck together - using the Navigation, we were able to use and manipulate the navigation features. We'd get one of those 'warning messsages' and you were forced to press OK......but after that, it was fine. I can't say if I ever tried to set up a navigation while driving - usually I do it before. But now I'm curious.....will have to test it.
Please do and report back here. I was talking to my wife last night and she remembered the same thing. I'd forgotten, but she had commented at the time that it worked in my truck but not in her car (MB C300).

Quote:
Like you...I like to know how it all works so I can utilize it to my advantage. You pay for it....you should use it!! :)
We think alike....you are obviously a lady of fine intellect and proper upbringing!
Janster likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post

Please do and report back here. I was talking to my wife last night and she remembered the same thing. I'd forgotten, but she had commented at the time that it worked in my truck but not in her car (MB C300).
I was playing around with the Nav today while I was driving.....going anywhere between 35-50mph (not that it matters). I was able to use the 'Destinaionation' on the screen and was able to select POI's, contacts, etc ....hit Go. No warnings or anything. Nothing in the front seat (aside from a purse and empty lunch bag).

In my husbands SUV, he can't do chit with the nav even if there's someone sitting in the passenger seat!! That annoys the crap out of him (probably why he uses WAZE most of the time)!! LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ChevyTrucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: W TN
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I was playing around with the Nav today while I was driving.....going anywhere between 35-50mph (not that it matters). I was able to use the 'Destinaionation' on the screen and was able to select POI's, contacts, etc ....hit Go. No warnings or anything. ...
I will have to try that when I drive later today....thanks for posting that.

LATER....
I tried accessing those MyPOIs while driving solo at 45 MPH. Nope, got the notification something like 'you not do that while moving, try voice'. I also tried while barely moving at about 5 mph - I could access the MyPOI data then, as well as when completely stopped.

BTW, if there is a way to access that using voice as the system suggests, I've not figured out how to do that yet.

2017 GMC Canyon V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav

Last edited by ChevyTrucker2; 05-19-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Update info
ChevyTrucker2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome