5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rugger
  • 1 Post By agsy
  • 2 Post By videopho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Auto A/C unimpressive

Anyone else find that as the weather temperature rises outside that the automatic air conditioning does not increase the fan speed well? Even turning the temp down into the 60's F range does not make it go much faster for long before it slows the fan again. The only way to get it cool is come off auto and go manual to force the fan speed higher. I found a setting for auto fan speed but changing it does not help.

It was in the 80's today but using auto did not make it comfortable. I had to manually increase the fan.

2017 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Mine works fine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:45 PM

I don't know if this has anything to do with it.....but....Have you been to the dealership to have the HVAC recall done?

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 PM

I haven't played with my Colorado enough to see how it works. I do know on my 05 Sierra I set it at 72 and over all it works very well but when it's hot I have to hit max fan temp to 60 and recirculate. Then it switches back to 72 buy itself. The same in the cold max fan 90 defrost at start and it's back to 72 buy itself. I hope the Colorado is as good as the Sierra. And I'm with you I don't understand why an auto air system does't do this by itself.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
MTShipp:

Mine does EXACTLY what yours does!
I'll remember to check on the recall when I go in for an oil change within the next month......

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM

93 today in Dallas and mine will blow the hair off your head. My wife was punching buttons trying to turn it down. Couldn't hear the radio.
CaryBosse and CPTTango30 like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
The only thing I don't like about the auto ac is that when heating it get the cabin warm then turns all the air to the floor vents which cause my feet to sweat almost uncontrollably. Other than that I love it. When it's hot out I hit the remote start app about 5 minutes before walking out of the office and by the time I smoke and bs with coworkers it's ice cold in my truck. Now my back windows are also limo tint over the factory tint. So it's super dark in the back of my truck. That's done for security reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShipp View Post
Anyone else find that as the weather temperature rises outside that the automatic air conditioning does not increase the fan speed well? Even turning the temp down into the 60's F range does not make it go much faster for long before it slows the fan again. The only way to get it cool is come off auto and go manual to force the fan speed higher. I found a setting for auto fan speed but changing it does not help.

It was in the 80's today but using auto did not make it comfortable. I had to manually increase the fan.
Did you check the "auto fan speed" setting? If I remember correctly, you can adjust the max speed in auto mode. Yours might be turned down a bit.
Deep Saturn likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Mine is inconsistent at best.
One day I need to turn it down because it doesn't seem to blow cold enough then the next I have to turn it up.
The summer is around the corner so does the heat/
Let's see how it performs in 90-100 degree heat in Texas.
Aaronpaul and Two Door like this.

Debadged stock emblems, Cyclops LED headlights. Husky floor liner. 20% tinted. DIM: Dead foot rest pedal.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I don't know if this has anything to do with it.....but....Have you been to the dealership to have the HVAC recall done?
Bought it one month ago, I would have hoped any recalls/TSBs were handled before. What recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
Did you check the "auto fan speed" setting? If I remember correctly, you can adjust the max speed in auto mode. Yours might be turned down a bit.
Yup, wide open.

2017 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Garage
Not having this issue...when its hot inside the fan kicks in high...too loud really.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Not having this issue...when its hot inside the fan kicks in high...too loud really.
My wife complains constantly about the fan running too high when the truck is trying to cool down. Typically have to adjust the temperature up a degree or two to slow the fan speed down, even when my fan speed control is set to the lowest setting on the MYLINK screen.

I normally find the biggest issue with my auto mode when the set temperature is too close to the outside temperature. This morning the outside temperature was 71 degree, I had to turn the set temp down to 68 degrees to make myself comfortable. It it was 81 deg outside, the fan would likely be blowing like a cyclone with a setpoint of 68 deg.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Mine works great. Better than some other auto air conditioning units I've had in other makes/models.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM

The fan in my Canyon is powerful - combine max fan with recirculation and it is a damn hurricane. Very pleased with the temp control in this vehicle.

Sometimes I do find myself fiddling with the fan setting when in auto mode, but most of the time it seems to work pretty well. When it is really hot or really cold out, I take over myself. The auto works well for me on moderate days.

The default auto fan setting can be adjusted in the settings.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
My wife complains constantly about the fan running too high when the truck is trying to cool down. Typically have to adjust the temperature up a degree or two to slow the fan speed down, even when my fan speed control is set to the lowest setting on the MYLINK screen.

I normally find the biggest issue with my auto mode when the set temperature is too close to the outside temperature. This morning the outside temperature was 71 degree, I had to turn the set temp down to 68 degrees to make myself comfortable. It it was 81 deg outside, the fan would likely be blowing like a cyclone with a setpoint of 68 deg.
Yep I do the same thing to cut the noise level once the temp in the cabin is tolerable. Being surrounded by glass windows you almost have to have the temp set lower in the car than the outside temp when its warm to feel comfortable..for a time anyway. I find if I leave it on 68 for too long, if the vents are pointed to any exposed skin..like me hands or arms... I will get uncomfortably cold and have to turn it back up a couple of degrees. Frankly i am just happy the heating and cooling work well even if automatic is really not that automatic.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShipp View Post
Bought it one month ago, I would have hoped any recalls/TSBs were handled before. What recall?
It's an HVAC recall. https://my.gm.com/recalls - and type in your VIN.

Auto climate control is supposed to work based on many different factors - from outside temp to inside temp.

Here's 2015 Canyon owners manual - you might find some info in here on how it works.
https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmown...on1stPrint.pdf

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode