Factory accessory kicker sub w/Bose? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Smile Factory accessory kicker sub w/Bose?

Anyone have this setup?

Where is it mounted? How does it look? Pics? How does is sound?

Thanks,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Tim,

I purchased and installed this a few weeks ago in my truck.

Mind you I am very picky so depending on what you are hoping to achieve you may or may not be happy with the performance.

To install it you partially dissemble the rear seat in a crew cab and the enclosure which houses the sub and amp is shaped appropriately to fit under. You will lose the majority of the storage area but you can still fit a couple straps and such next to it.

I don't have any pictures currently.

As for sound... I'm not very impressed.

Being you are looking for improvements you are likely not happy with the current performance of the Bose system. The Bose system in some other GMs is much better. (Like the Tahoe)

That said, this thing will be tapping into the high level output to the front right door speaker via the harness under the driver side kick panel.

The output is heavily processed already and has terrible low frequency fall off and too much mid.

There is no frequency cutoff control or sensitivity on the sub so you are limited to the pathetic three band EQ in the HU.

I feel like there may not be any sort of cutoff at all built into the kicker, or it is set too high as it sounds like there are a lot of 100hz+ sound coming from the sub, which sounds quite muddy and some music sounds like garbage. I have the "mid" turned almost all the way down at the HU and the bass turned down quite a bit to try and combat this but it doesn't help. I am considering the purchase of a passive in line 80Hz filter and that may help, but as I consider adding filters and aftermarket processors to try and fix the shit sound I'm moving way from my ideal perfect easy solution.

My primary interest in this upgrade was that it would be the easiest option, and while that is true, I feel that I ended up with muddy heavily processed mid heavy bass.

The garbage in garbage out rule applies here so its silly to expect a miracle from a system that already has issues.

In the end, it is "louder" and will produce more bass (and more mids like it or not.)

I don't know if I would buy it again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Garage
While I am irked, like dogg, that the bass control is limited to the tri-band EQ (not having a separate line out control is just shitty design), otherwise I really like the sub.

The vehicle specific design and the plug and play aspect of the sub was a big draw for me, as well as being a GM licensed aftermarket part not messing with warranty.

The sound fills out the 'missing subwoofer' you hear, and fairly well for an 8" sub, but the enclosure and power isn't super hard hitting like you'll get with a crafted box, and well thought out amp and sub. But for me it filled the gap just right, and the install was super easy. Definitely a good icebreaker for me on a new vehicle with trim removal and such.

Cost wise, if that's a factor, if you're buying a quality sub/amp/wiring/box, you'd hit that price point or close to it pretty easily.

vi et armis invictus maneo..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Larsen View Post
Anyone have this setup?

Where is it mounted? How does it look? Pics? How does is sound?

Thanks,

Tim
I was hoping to install one in my ZR2, however the thought of muddy bass isn't very encouraging. As a matter of fact, I had planned on ordering it in the next day or so in order to have it available when the truck lands at the dealership. I might hold off and save my $600 until I hear the stock Bose system.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." - REK
"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." - PG
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT
"All bleeding stops eventually." - ZR2 EMT
"Stay safe! Everyone goes home." - UNK

2017 Red Hot ZR2 V6 CC SWB - TPW 5/15 - Event Code 4800 (Bayed)

Last edited by ZR2 EMT; 05-17-2017 at 09:17 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
This is the kit from GM Parts Direct.
They have two kits

1 labeled " compatible with ALL radios"

1 labeled " NOT compatible with BOSE"

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/index.p...atsubgrp=audio

I like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: png colo_sub.PNG (137.9 KB, 39 views)

For those who forget their past, are condemned to repeat it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Bump/

So has anyone else tried the OEM Kicker system that's compatible with the Bose speakers?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2 EMT View Post
Bump/

So has anyone else tried the OEM Kicker system that's compatible with the Bose speakers?
+1 to this request... Also, love the REK quote in your signature

2017 GMC Canyon Denali Minimax
-Ordered 10/25/16
-TPW 01/02/17 (received 12/13/16)
-Built 01/09/17
-Delivered to Dealer 01/18/17
-Picked Up 01/20/17
2015 GMC Denali HD Duramax
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Bump/

Yeah ive had it installed with the bose system since day one.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtymax denali View Post
+1 to this request... Also, love the REK quote in your signature
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakLakLakLak-Z71 View Post
Yeah ive had it installed with the bose system since day one.
In your opinion, did adding the sub improve the sound quality enough to justify the additional $600.00 cost? Did you do the install yourself?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to order the unit in time to install it before I even take delivery of the truck. I'd like to hear your feedback on it. Thanks!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

I work in a custom auto shop. Im use to hearing big sound systems. That being said i always felt the BOSE did a very good job as is but i felt it was missing the low end punch. I opted for the kicker oem sub because the price was very reasonable through my kicker dealer and the install was non invasive and very easy. Not to mention it falls under the 3/36 warranty.

In my opinion its as close to perfect as can be. It gave me the small punch i was looking for. I feel the sub should be installed outright if they opt for the bose. My only complaint is overall volume. I sometimes like to listen to my music louder than most. Other than that its perfect. A small added punch that compliments the sound of the oem system that can be heard a full volume with out distortion.

This is my first new purchase ( the truck) and i didnt want to go away from the oem sound system as much as i could. I think this will hold me over at least until the warranty is up and i wont feel bad about ripping everything out and doing it over.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Bump/

I have it. It was installed by my local audio shop along with replacing the front door and dash speakers and disconnecting the center speaker. If I had it to do over I would probably skip the Kicker VSS. The replacement of the door speakers with JL Audio 6.5" subs will give you more than enough bass while new 3.5" coax in the dash will fill in the mid and highs. Then you still have the storage space under the rear seat.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakLakLakLak-Z71 View Post
I work in a custom auto shop. Im use to hearing big sound systems. That being said i always felt the BOSE did a very good job as is but i felt it was missing the low end punch. I opted for the kicker oem sub because the price was very reasonable through my kicker dealer and the install was non invasive and very easy. Not to mention it falls under the 3/36 warranty.

In my opinion its as close to perfect as can be. It gave me the small punch i was looking for. I feel the sub should be installed outright if they opt for the bose. My only complaint is overall volume. I sometimes like to listen to my music louder than most. Other than that its perfect. A small added punch that compliments the sound of the oem system that can be heard a full volume with out distortion.

This is my first new purchase ( the truck) and i didnt want to go away from the oem sound system as much as i could. I think this will hold me over at least until the warranty is up and i wont feel bad about ripping everything out and doing it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
I have it. It was installed by my local audio shop along with replacing the front door and dash speakers and disconnecting the center speaker. If I had it to do over I would probably skip the Kicker VSS. The replacement of the door speakers with JL Audio 6.5" subs will give you more than enough bass while new 3.5" coax in the dash will fill in the mid and highs. Then you still have the storage space under the rear seat.
Thank you both for the feedback. It gives me a lot more to think about with regard to upgrading the stock system.

Last edited by ZR2 EMT; Today at 12:21 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM
KMW

I'm torn on this one! I'm about 90% swayed towards getting this with my ZR2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode