Rollbar 3rd brake light. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Rollbar 3rd brake light.

I have a 2016 trail boss and I just noticed today that the 3rd brake light for the rollbar doesn't work, the cab mounted one is working though. Any ideas on how to get the one on the roll bar working instead of the cab mounted one? Being the roll bar is dealer installed something tells me.there should be a hook up for it that was never plugged in. But I am welcome to any suggestions. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Garage
Bring it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Should have been plugged in when they installed it

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrabner84 View Post
I have a 2016 trail boss and I just noticed today that the 3rd brake light for the rollbar doesn't work, the cab mounted one is working though. Any ideas on how to get the one on the roll bar working instead of the cab mounted one? Being the roll bar is dealer installed something tells me.there should be a hook up for it that was never plugged in. But I am welcome to any suggestions. Thanks
Can you find the harness? might just be unplugged...

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Yeah, the brake light on the roll bar literally replaces the brake light on the cab. When connected the cab brake light will not work anymore. So you know they just forgot to do that part of the installation.

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
Trail Boss Sport Bar
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I ran all the wiring back and everything seems to be ok, like the roll bar lights work just got the 3rd brake light
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM

My midnight edition did not come as a trail boss, however I purchased it all later and installed it myself (at a nice discount at the dealer). After many questions and compiling several different schematics I was able to wire the thing up. Your dealership failed to 1) remove the cab mounted brake lights, and probably 2) Correctly install the wiring harness that goes to the distribution box under the hood. The top of it must be disassembed and the CHMSL wire must be tapped to make the 3rd brake light work. During my install I asked the Chevrolet dealer questions.... they had a deer in the headlight look, and upon reading the schematics they really wanted nothing to do with it. There will be a wiring harness that runs along the frame rail on the drivers side, it will run up to the distribution box under the hood. The ground connects behind the fog lights in the fender well (wheel well cover has to be removed/pulled back to get to it), there is a power wire that connects to the M5 screw at the main power of the distribution box, this feeds the constant power to the relay and sends power to the Off road lights when the switch is turned on in the cab, and then there is the wire for your 3rd brake light in this harness that should go to the firewall side of the distribution box and tie in to the CHMSL wire.

Hope this helps, but it sounds like they missed the CHMSL wire.
Ramon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode