WiFi speed? Through OnStar/AT&T - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
WiFi speed? Through OnStar/AT&T

I'm leaving on a long trip next week and signed up for a 1 month for $20 of unlimited data. I tried it out this morning and speed tested it. I was only getting 3 Mbps, then it gradually ramped up to 6 Mbps.
I then fired up my Xfinty TV app and started playing a show from the DVR. It would only stream for 30 seconds, then buffer, 30 seconds, then buffer...

Bottom line, awful experience so far. For something that boasts "4G LTE", I'm really disappointed.

Can some people test their speeds for me, so I know what to expect?

Speed test Apps. They are by the same developer
Speedtest by Ookla in the App Store, and
Speedtest.net in the Google Play store.

Thank you!

See Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Martin View Post
I'm leaving on a long trip next week and signed up for a 1 month for $20 of unlimited data. I tried it out this morning and speed tested it. I was only getting 3 Mbps, then it gradually ramped up to 6 Mbps.
I then fired up my Xfinty TV app and started playing a show from the DVR. It would only stream for 30 seconds, then buffer, 30 seconds, then buffer...

Bottom line, awful experience so far. For something that boasts "4G LTE", I'm really disappointed.

Thank you!
I needed to pull up my work computer to respond to an email that couldn't wait for me to get home, so I pulled over and used the WiFi for the first time.
To send the email, speed wasn't important, but I figured I'd run a speedtest anyway, and saw the same: test started about 1-2 mbps, then it ramped up to about 5 or 6, and upload was around 3-4 mbps. The ramping was likely AT&T recognizing that a test was being done, and allowing a short speed increase, to inflate the numbers and make them look good compared to other companies (I see this as the same as the VW emissions cheat). So, when you went to stream video, it went back to normal speed of about 1-2 mbps.

I used speedtest.net website for my test, since they seem to be the most reliable.

I'm going to let my 3GB trial run out with those two things as the only data being used (the email and speed test).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Martin View Post

Thank you!

I was getting speeds like that also. I haven't used Xfinity app but I have used Hulu Plus and YouTube with no problems. I am now using the ATT Mobley that I transfer between our 3 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Garage
Phone LTE 54.5 Mb/S down and 1.42 Mb/S up
House WIFI 6.7 Mb/S down and .67 Mb/S up
OnStar WIFI, 3.5 Mb/s down and 4.23 Mb/s up.

All the rates are right here at the house within about 5 minutes, same phone, same app (Ookla), same carrier (AT&T).

With my phone, on AT&T, it would be easier and cheaper to use it as a "hot spot", and faster as well. I think it only costs about $10/month for use as a hotspot.

The only use I can see for Onstar WIFI is traffic on the Nav system, and that's easily available on the phone. I seriously doubt that Onstar will ever get any money from me.

My avatar is a purple ribbon because I am a survivor of Pancreatic Cancer.
2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB Duramax, Bose, Nav, Spray Bed Liner, Wheel Flairs, Trailering Eqpt Pkg, Tonneau Cover.

Last edited by IceDiesel; 05-18-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Garage
3.89Mbps down
4.93Mbps up

2017 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Wow that is unbelievable that the speeds are that lousy. Onstar should have stayed with Verizon. This was one option I really liked.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster View Post
Wow that is unbelievable that the speeds are that lousy. Onstar should have stayed with Verizon. This was one option I really liked.

I have to think that Onstar is throttling service since it is Unlimited at a low price. Also the Colorados may not have up to date modems that allow for carrier aggregation or other tech that is being used to increase speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My 1st two tests were from a closer server, then I tried a Philly server and I was able to see better results. These are on WiFi via AT&T.
Attached Images
File Type: png image_1495157600858.png (375.5 KB, 30 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 AM

Garage
1st one is home wifi
2nd one is truck wifi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.jpg (111.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (108.2 KB, 31 views)

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch with Synthetic line, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
Duramax Turner DSP 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode