Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Sluggish CarPlay

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Cory. 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Duramax Canyon and I've been having some isssues with CarPlay. I'd say about 90% of the time while my iPhone 7 Plus is hooked up to the head unit via USB and Carplay is activated, I will attempt to skip a song in the Apple Music app and the song takes anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds to change tracks, but ONLY if I use the physical buttons on the steering wheel or the ones below the screen, the digital ones work fine. The physical buttons are also faster when streaming via Bluetooth. All the songs are stored locally on my device, not the cloud. iOS is up to date, I've tried several different lightning cables, restarted the phone and removed access to CarPlay on both the device and head unit then re-added, all to no avail. This isn't the first Canyon I had with this issue either. Anyone else having this problem or know a fix? Thanks.

#2 ·
As far as I know, I have the same problem, though its lag period is inconsistent. some moments its less than a microsecond, other times its 3/4 of a second or longer.. but it always lags weirdly inconsistent. I cant explain it..... I ended up just forgetting carplay and just using the normal Bluetooth connection instead.. EVERY now and then there is a lag with that as well, but nothing longer than 1/2 a sec. I only use the USB cable for when I need to charge my iPhone

#3 ·
Yeah, that's basically what mines does too. It's really weird. I thought it may be the processing power of the head unit, but that wouldn't explain the inconsistency. I like CarPlay and don't want to have to use something else, I guess I'll just have to use the digital buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have some lag, but definitely not 3 - 15 second lag. Up install yesterday, I never really thought anything about the lag until I took my Canyon in for service and they gave me a Chevy Sonic as a loaner. The Sonic's Apple CarPlay hardware is MUCH better than what's in the Canyon. First of all, the screen is much clearer/sharper with more vibrant colors. I also noticed the screen on the Sonic felt more like touching the screen on my iPhone (a hard screen) where as the Canyon feels more like you are pressing the screen in slightly. The transitions were MUCH smoother and faster in the Sonic as well. Quite honestly, I did't realize there were so many animation in CarPlay until I got in this Sonic. I also have a lot of Pandora issues in my Canyon that require me to unlock my phone, close Pandora and retry, have not had this issue with the Sonic yet.

#5 ·
Yeah, I also own a VW with CarPlay and it has no delay and the screen is actually glass, so it feels better to the touch. The resolution is also better than the Canyon. You'd think for a more expensive truck they'd put a better unit in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Is "shuffle" on, for that playlist? I notice that I can only skip forward 2-3 songs before there is a delay. I think Apple uses a randomizer to queue up the songs that only reads a few choices ahead if you exceed those few before it has time to run again and queue up the next few then ...delay

#8 ·
GM has taken a huge step backwards. My 2010 Silverado would play my I-Pods or I-Phones with no issue whatsoever. My 2016 Colorado with Bose freaks out and the screen goes blank if I hook my big I-Pods to it. Nothing wrong with the pods, the stereo has insufficient memory to work the way they redesigned it. Meanwhile, while still a bit gonky, a big thumb drive (122GB of music on it) will work much, much better than any Apple does. I feel GM misled us with it's claim of "Apple device compatibility".

#9 ·
I agree that it doesn't feel like CarPlay is fully baked, but rather thrown in there so they could check it off the options list. It just doesn't make sense that the touch screen controls work fine but the physical ones are so slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
I saw this post last summer, but never thought anything of it since I did not have this issue at all. Well, now I do, and exactly as you describe it. While on CarPlay, press the steering wheel buttons or the buttons below the radio, it can literally take over a minute before it responds. Touch the display and it always responds right away. While using bluetooth, responds right away to any button press.

On a side note, I had a Chevy Spark once as a courtesy loaner, and CarPlay in that was much better. The display was much sharper and more colorful, the animation were much faster and smoother, and never had issues responding to button presses.

Here's a link to what I am experiencing lately:

CarPlay

Bluetooth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.