Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Started a small wiring project today.

8K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  team helotes 
#1 ·
My 2015 Canyon will be getting some lights added this weekend.

Some people here will not understand the time and effort I have already put in just on the relay mount.

The truck is getting a 30" Single Row LED bar in the bumper, no switch wired into highs.

I am on the local fire department so it is getting some warning lights.
Red LEDs behind the grill.
Red/White LED below the front doors. and red LED below the back doors. They will all strobe. The Red/White will be wired into interior lights and will light up white, steady burn, when the inside dome light is on, they will light up the sides of the truck at night when the key fob is used to unlock the doors.

LED fog lights that will work with factory switch and will also light up when highs are flipped on. When warning lights are turned on they will wig-wag and add more forward warning lights.

Below are photos of the relay mounts and wiring I will be installing. Everything will be running on relays.

Switch for the warning lights.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Did a few tweaks to it. Here is a photo of it installed.

Relays "G" and "H" are for low and high HIDs.

Fuse 8 is used to feed the fuse block under the back seat, see 110 power thread.

#3 · (Edited)
Had to trade out grill so I added more LEDs while I was working on it.

Click on the photos below to watch videos.

#4 · (Edited)
Rear warning lights.

There are 2 red LEDs above the bumper below the tailgate.

The factory back up lights were removed and red/white warning lights were installed. They act as warning lights and shine white only for back ups. Click on the photo below to watch video.

I will be adding more rear lights in the 3rd brake light/ cargo light area.

#5 · (Edited)
Nice work. That's what I do for a South FL PD and FD. Are you going to wig wag headlights or just the fogs? Did you form the mounting plate yourself or modify some existing part? Here is a good add on for the rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGuP3L9kxig

#6 ·
Savagebob, I am going to only wig wag the fogs, I am planning on adding HIDs to headlights later. There will be either 4 or 6 Feniex Cobra T3s in red behind the grill.

I formed the mounting plate myself.

Cool looking plate cover.

#9 ·
Savagebob, I am going to only wig wag the fogs, I am planning on adding HIDs to headlights later.
I formed the mounting plate myself.
If you were to do bi-xenon HID's you could always use the stock high beams for the wig wag. (they would otherwise be unused)

I like the mount plate. I've wanted to do something similar for other vehicles in the past. Would you mind sharing materials used?

#8 ·
Looks like there will be a delay, because USPS SUCKS. Package was shipped for Dallas Priority Mail Wed before lunch for delivery to San Antonio today. It is still in Dallas. The postmaster did not like it when I asked if they were still shipping via stagecoach. She also did not like it when I told her I understand why USPS loses money and they should go in and clean house and fire everyone because they are all worthless.

Reactions: savagebob
#10 ·
I used some 1/8" Zytel I had laying around.

#11 ·
Did a little work today.

#12 ·
Doing a little work on the grill as well.

Back of grill.

#13 ·
Doing a little work on the grill as well.

Back of grill.

So the lights are mounted on the outside of the grill? Backing plates are a good idea.

#14 ·
Light are mounted behind the grill. I sprayed the mounts with undercoated to help them hide. I also sprayed the LEDs lens with tail light spray tint, just enough to take off the white.

Reactions: savagebob
#15 ·
Here is a video of the grill. Click on the photo to watch video.

Reactions: Kokiri
#16 ·

#17 ·
Click on photo to watch video.

#18 ·
Photos, videos and more info added in the post on the first page.

#19 ·
Here is a photo of the headlights on. When I hit highs I get high, lows, fogs and LED bar. Fogs are LED, highs and lows are HIDs 6K.

Reactions: John Carver
#24 ·
Thanks guys.

I do have my wiring drawings if anyone wants to try this for themselves.

#25 ·
Impressive man! I use to build Emergency vehicles for a local Dealership here In Chattanooga During College. It was a blast and its not for just anyone, wiring can be a nightmare you def. have a clean install.

PS I still have a TON of CODE3 Lighting if you are interested in any of it lol 90% of it is brand new.

#27 ·
Here you guys........have fun. Use at your own risk. It should all be clear as mud to you guys now.

#28 ·
Feel free to ask any questions you want. Some of the features I wired in will not be used by most.

Reactions: John Carver
#29 ·
That's why I am just going to run every input trigger I can think of under the back seat and spend a few hours with the Feniex 4200, programming how I want everything to work. That is one awesome control system. Will likely keep the control head out of sight or behind a clear panel and use the bluetooth control on my tablet as a control panel. Nice job with all the relays. Your system is very functional for your work. Mine is going to be able to be customized easily and mostly for fun and display of what's possible with current public safety equipment.

#30 ·
During all your rewire of your truck did you discover where or how the harness is routed going to the rear cab mounted bed light? I wanting to hook into it for some aftermarket bed lights and I want them to work with the dash cargo light switch?

#31 ·
I just removed the third brake light from outside and soldered a new wire directly to the existing cargo light feed. Fished it down from there and out the rubber air flap in the back left of the cab. I have a crew cab if that makes a difference. I commonly use a video scope with a long flexible snake to run through passages and give me an idea where to run cables without taking too much apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.