Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Alarm System?

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Deventon 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

Wondering; has anyone installed an aftermarket alarm on their vehicle that they are happy with? (and not horribly expensive).

Most co-workers and family members I ask seem to not bother installing alarms anymore; i'm guessing maybe they are happy enough with the keyless entry... Even browsing at Best Buy, doesn't seem they offer much anymore compared to a few years ago.

#5 ·
Hi Ogonzz I had one installed in my "base truck" ( not anymore )that included a keyless entry for $170 dollars installed here in Vegas. Not sure where you're at but most audio install places do Alarms also.
I am pleased with it so far. It is a little sensitive but that can be adjusted, not sure if I'm going to though because people stealing tail gates and spare tires I kind of like it sensitive. For now anyway

#9 ·
Hey Black,No it's not the alarm that will stop them it's the eight slugs from the pump action 12 gauge that will take care of that. Guaranteed!;-)

#10 ·
Just for further discussion:

Any alarm will not stop anybody from beating the crap out of the truck or breaking all the glass. It may inhibit a more honest person but fact remains, the alarm won't prevent damage.

The factory theft deterrent system will however prevent them from driving away in the vehicle that now has at least one busted window, or tampered lock/latch assembly.

The tailgate can still be easily stolen by partially opening it, disconnecting the cables and walking away with it (assuming the removal is similar to all other gates).

#12 · (Edited)
08 I realize there are varying degrees of effectiveness with any theft-deterrent system. However I believe a proactive approach is better then doing nothing and waiting to be a victim of some air-waister theif. The more obstacles you place before them the more likely they're going to go try someone else that's easier to rip off and victimized

Reactions: bitcrazy
#14 ·
From what I understand black, a thief can get into your OnStar take control of your truck and drive you into wall if they feel like it.
What is probably more troubling is that you know "people"( I'm thinking theifs and air-waisters) who have apparently done this so they could commit crimes. You might want to consider changing the people you hang out with if you want to keep your stuff.

#15 ·
First off I used the past tense KNOWN. I don't know maybe you missed that lesson in school or they don't teach that in your schools. I also never said I was friends with or even spent time with them. You seem to have and some kind of comprehension issue or interpretive issue.

Second

Getting in to your On-star would be 1 in a million at worst case scenario. Of that 1 in a million there is no proof they can drive you into anything. Its not remote control. The best they could do is shut you down.

#16 ·
Hey black I don't get upset about personal jabs so you can keep your grammar filled rant to yourself it won't do any good. And second I was just trying to give you some sound advice. It was not my intention to upset you at all. Just giving my observations. Nice chatting with you;-)

#19 ·
I have had 2 break ins of my vehicles and I learned 3 things.

1. Don't ever brag or show people that new Kenwood Navigation system as one of them is going to steal it.

2. When you are having a basement done on your house don't ever let the workers see your new Kenwood navigation system in your car.

3. Don't ever spend the money on a new Kenwood Navigation system as it will get stolen.

Have purchased 2 kenwood navigation systems 7 yrs apart. One for my truck and one for my wifes mini van. BOTH got stolen.

The one that got stolen out of my truck they simply stuck a screw driver in the door and it opened and they took everything.

The second Kenwood nav that was stolen was out of my wifes mini van. They smashed the window and crawled through it to get the nav system. I was actually IN THE GARAGE when it happened smoking a cig and heard something faint but thought it was the neighbors.

You see I had window tint on the window they broke and the stuck a screw driver in the corner of the window and it quietly broke and stayed in one piece held by the tint and they just pulled it out.

So lessons here, get an alarm system with a proximity and motion sensor but get ready for many false alarms, never buy a Kenwood navigation system, buy the factory nav when you get the car new. I have had all kinds of factory navs and have NEVER had one stolen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.