GM Recall #N150595 and/or 15595 - LOSS OF STEERING ASSIST - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to monty57 Send a message via MSN to monty57
On the 2015 I did see both warnings but as I stated I have no recollection of the incident. The doctors have told this is not unusual in these type of events. But the scenario matches the two previous events with 2015. I was in a slight turn to the right and from the tracks in the ditch, the vehicle straightened up about on the exit of the curve. There were no skid marks on the pavement as if the car was driven toward the ditch. I seem to remember the dash flashing but cannot be certain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty57 View Post
On the 2015 I did see both warnings but as I stated I have no recollection of the incident. The doctors have told this is not unusual in these type of events. But the scenario matches the two previous events with 2015. I was in a slight turn to the right and from the tracks in the ditch, the vehicle straightened up about on the exit of the curve. There were no skid marks on the pavement as if the car was driven toward the ditch. I seem to remember the dash flashing but cannot be certain.
When all Hades is breaking loose, best you can do is hang on for the ride. I wouldn't expect you to be looking at DICs, idiot lights, or whatever, your focus has to be to figure out how to steer the truck with no electric power steering.

I said this in another thread, but worth repeating here: I have driven many vehicles in my life with hydraulic power steering and had the vehicle stall on me with the loss of power steering. When you lose electric power steering on these trucks, it seems at least twice as hard to overcome the resistance as opposed to a hydraulic system. I am not sure if that is because the steering on these trucks when the electric power steering is operating correctly is so easy that the change is extremely drastic, or if it is just that hard to steer.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 Colorado View Post
Affected: Approximately 3,000 model-year 2015 Chevrolet Colorado pickups manufactured from Jan. 6, 2015, to March 17, 2015, and 2015 GMC Canyon pickups manufactured from Jan. 6, 2015, to March 19, 2015.

The Problem: A poor electrical connection within the steering gear connector may cause loss of power steering assist, resulting the loss of control and increased risk of a crash.

The Fix: GM will inspect and replace the steering gear pinion sensor cover assembly free of charge
My power steering was cutting out also. I was told there was a new recall dated for jan 27 2016, gm recall 15595, the letter i got shows same recall number but also references a ntsb campaign id number 16v054. this is my forth trip . got it back yesterday and the wheel alignment is now off and it pulls to the right . headed ack for trip number 5 . Lost faith- now I remember why I quit buying American 20 years ago! Saddens me - greatly

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM

I agree. I drove the 2015 all the way back to dealership with it out so they could witness first hand the issue first hand and it was very difficult to say the least. I checked and the 2015 VIN that I know had the issue is not included in the recall so that still leaves me wondering about the 2016. I have went back to area of the road where the incident happened with 2016 and I was almost complete through the turn before the truck seemed to go straight for the ditch. They are no skid marks to indicate a loss of control but the steering issue I experienced on the 2015 was very similar in that I was almost through the turn when the steering seemed to snap the vehicle straight when it when out. At any rate GM is denying any responsibility so I am through with GM products after many years of loyalty and over a 12 vehicles. And as a typical working man, you do not have a chance fighting them unless you were terribly injured. Fortunately, I was not.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
I've got a build month of 6/2015 and had the Stabilitrak Service warning pop up yesterday and today while I was out driving. When pulling into my apartment, I want to also say that I saw a steering wheel power loss warning as well (was paying attention to not hitting kids), but I didn't lose any of the steering... It technically doesn't fall within the manufacture dates for the current recalls, but I'm wondering if they're going to possibly expand it if more cases pop up...

2015 Red Hot Colorado Z71 2WD Crew Cab
Purchased 8/4/2015
Mods: Morimoto 4TL-R Bi-Xenon Projector Conversion, Morimoto D2S 35W 6500K HID Lows,
Morimoto XB LED Fogs, Black LT Wheels, Anzo LED Tail Lamps, OEM Black Bowties, Air Dam Delete,
Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black)

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg449 View Post
I've got a build month of 6/2015 and had the Stabilitrak Service warning pop up yesterday and today while I was out driving. When pulling into my apartment, I want to also say that I saw a steering wheel power loss warning as well (was paying attention to not hitting kids), but I didn't lose any of the steering... It technically doesn't fall within the manufacture dates for the current recalls, but I'm wondering if they're going to possibly expand it if more cases pop up...
My truck was manufactured smack in the middle of the dates and is NOT on the recall list, so something is up.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Just got mine back yesterday after 8 days at the dealership to perform what the letter indicates is a two hour job. Concur with others' observations that when the EPS goes out the truck is significantly more difficult to steer than a hydraulic PS system is without assist. Also, because repair includes removing the steering rack the dealership said the truck has to be re-aligned. The 8 days on my truck was because the one alignment guy had taken off for spring break and they didn't figure that out until my truck was already in.

Side note - They put me in a loaner 2016 Silverado with a 5.3. It has the exact same lugging, shifting, driveablilty, throttle response issues our trucks do, about even with the pre-5303 update.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:41 AM

I thought I would update you all on what the dealership says tripped the stabilitrak warning light. Here is the description from the invoice:

15992 CARBON DEPOSITS 0.50 DIAGNOSE CONCERN TROUBLE CODE P0300. 300 CAUSE STABILITRAK LIGHT TO COME ON. PERFORM DOCUMENT #4036678 CLEAN UPPER ENGINE PLENUM. TO STOP RANDOM MISFIRES.

Does this mean I will be cleaning carbon every 16,000 miles? Time will tell.

Last edited by Gashuffer; 03-27-2016 at 11:44 AM.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 AM

Garage
I'm curious how a misfire messes up stabilitrak?
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boborc View Post
I'm curious how a misfire messes up stabilitrak?
Stabilitrak light comes on for a plethora of seemingly unrelated issues (usually in conjunction with the CEL). Kinda like the ABS light of the last decade.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashuffer View Post
I thought I would update you all on what the dealership says tripped the stabilitrak warning light. Here is the description from the invoice:

15992 CARBON DEPOSITS 0.50 DIAGNOSE CONCERN TROUBLE CODE P0300. 300 CAUSE STABILITRAK LIGHT TO COME ON. PERFORM DOCUMENT #4036678 CLEAN UPPER ENGINE PLENUM. TO STOP RANDOM MISFIRES.

Does this mean I will be cleaning carbon every 16,000 miles? Time will tell.
2 words - Catch Can
spoonman likes this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 PM

I've heard and seen mixed reviews on catch cans. Anywhere from "They aren't worth a ****" to "It works great on my vehicle". Maybe mine might need it.

Hey SavageBob, how do you like yours? It looks like the Elite CC has no fill indicator. How often do you check yours and how much nasty do you clean out at each interval?

Last edited by Gashuffer; 03-28-2016 at 10:22 PM.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM

I wouldn't count on that. They denied that my 2016 had the issue. Cannot prove otherwise but it sure seems suspicious since they are still recalling vehicles that were built after mine for the same issue.
post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM

I would like to know if any other owners of a 2016 have had any of the steering issues found in this string. If you would like you can send a PM.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM

I just left my 16 Colorado Duramax at the dealer to have the steering rack replaced. I purchased it at the end of March and have 1700 miles on it. I would get the stabilitrak message followed shortly by the power steering message, at which point the power steering would go out. Oddly the steering was super light between the two messages. At least it had some codes that GM has flagged as a rack replacement.

Definitely not happy about this but I have a good dealer taking care of me.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Interesting. I just came from the dealer today for my first oil change and they said my truck fell under the recall. Mine was built in April 2015.
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoore2008 View Post
My power steering was cutting out also. I was told there was a new recall dated for jan 27 2016, gm recall 15595, the letter i got shows same recall number but also references a ntsb campaign id number 16v054. this is my forth trip . got it back yesterday and the wheel alignment is now off and it pulls to the right . headed ack for trip number 5 . Lost faith- now I remember why I quit buying American 20 years ago! Saddens me - greatly

Sounds to me more like poor dealer service. Toyota service departments are notoriously bad. I've enjoyed very good service from Chevy dealers over the years.
CrashFix likes this.
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 AM

I am very glad you caught the issue prior to a scenario that I had. It is very interesting that it is still showing up as I was told they were not having the issue on the 16s as they denied my claim after the accident. I am still convinced this was the direct cause of the accident. I was told my injuries were not serious enough for any lawyer to take the case and I am not interested in getting rich. I only wanted the vehicle cost and medical bills covered but more importantly I want the issue brought to light to prevent any else from possible injury or death. I still have to drive by the site of the accident daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151229_161144.jpg (143.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_152146.jpg (86.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_152213.jpg (169.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_161252.jpg (147.9 KB, 39 views)
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 AM

I have a 2016 Colorado diesel and I'm just starting to have steering issues (5300) miles and built in Feb of 2016.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltrsei97 View Post
I have a 2016 Colorado diesel and I'm just starting to have steering issues (5300) miles and built in Feb of 2016.
Define "starting to have steering issues."

I had a steering issue on my 2015, but there wasn't a "starting to have" point. It was BAM, I got a steering issue. No gradual, sneaking up on you. You lost all power steering, had lots of warning on the DIC, and knew you had a problem.

One of the drawbacks to all of the technology to day is that very scenario: In days of old, the vehicle systems would start to have an issue, you would hear a noise, feel a clunk, fight a weak power steering, etc. If you were in tune with your vehicle, you recognized an issue and got it serviced. Today, people are so plugged in to their headphones, etc. they need their vehicle to send them an email, "Please help me, I am hurting...change oil, wipe my butt," oops, sorry about that last one. But with systems so computer control based, if a problem occurs, it takes the Microsoft approach: Crash, burn, try a reboot, download an update, install Windows 10, oops another apology owed.

My wife always looks at me like I am nuts when I drive her vehicle for the day and I come home and ask her how long has it been making this noise, doing this or that. Drove her Wrangler this morning, first thing I noticed was the CHANGE OIL message that popped up. Thankfully, I know that hasn't been there more than a week since I drove it a week ago.
CrashFix likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode