GM Recall #N150595 and/or 15595 - LOSS OF STEERING ASSIST - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM

What I'm seeing or feeling is the power steering is intermittent. Most of the time it works but at times it stiff and just not working. I saw that in 2015 they had a recall for an issue related to an electrical connector but that does not continue on into 2016.

I think I'll roll under the front end and check tightness of electrical connections first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM

From what I remember, your description is not what we have seen. Take it to the dealer and have them re-flash the steering module or calibrate it would be my suggestion.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmz71 View Post
I just left my 16 Colorado Duramax at the dealer to have the steering rack replaced. I purchased it at the end of March and have 1700 miles on it. I would get the stabilitrak message followed shortly by the power steering message, at which point the power steering would go out. Oddly the steering was super light between the two messages. At least it had some codes that GM has flagged as a rack replacement.

Definitely not happy about this but I have a good dealer taking care of me.
I wonder about this with mine. I have no messages, but it's never felt right to me. How did yours feel/act?

Thanks!

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to monty57 Send a message via MSN to monty57
Yes, unfortunately the steering issue shows up with out warning. With my 2015 it did not cause any major issue. Only went off the side of the road and no damage done. With the 2016, I was about 90% through a turn on a country road with a very steep side ditch. The vehicle continued in the ditch toward a d driveway retainer wall, concrete mail box and finally a power pole. No front airbag deployment, only side and the result was totaled vehicle and at my age the soreness continues even today. GM totally denied having the issue with 2016s only 2015s. I keep posting about this oping they realize they need to come up with fix before someone dies. They aware of the issue, the dealers are aware of the issue so fix the problem, don't wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151229_152146.jpg (86.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20151230_090055[1].jpg (378.8 KB, 51 views)
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:58 AM

There is really no warning type "feeling" at least in both of my cases. The power steering just suddenly went out. From that point my best description is similar to a vehicle straightening if you let go of the wheel accept it is very abrupt and pulled the steering wheel through my hands to center. In all cases I was in slight turn which caused the vehicle to go straight instead of following the course of the turn I was trying to steer through.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:01 AM

I would like to hear from more owners who have had power steering issues with either a 2015 or 2016 Canyon or Colorado. This is an important issue that owners need to aware can happen amd what the symptoms/results can be
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Mine felt fine until the first time the messages came up. After shutting down and restarting it felt very light; almost over-boosted. Then the messages came up again and then it just felt like an old car without power steering. Once I was ready for it I didn't feel in any danger or anything.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty57 View Post
I would like to hear from more owners who have had power steering issues with either a 2015 or 2016 Canyon or Colorado. This is an important issue that owners need to aware can happen amd what the symptoms/results can be
Symptoms almost implies a forewarning - in my case, there was no warning. First time it happened, I was driving out of a business driveway, came to end of driveway, pointed straight, and the DIC lights up. I look at message, as I pull away, and realize as I go to left turn onto the road I have no power steering.

Pretty much everytime my failure occurred I was headed straight, cannot think of a time I was in the middle of a turn. So the description of one driver that his vehicle snapped back straight I never saw, but at same time, I find this to be a bit odd- I do think it would begin to go back to a straight mode, but not just snap back straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmz71 View Post
Mine felt fine until the first time the messages came up. After shutting down and restarting it felt very light; almost over-boosted. Then the messages came up again and then it just felt like an old car without power steering. Once I was ready for it I didn't feel in any danger or anything.
My biggest issue was that the problem was so intermittent that I was nver "ready for it" to occur. Sometimes it occurred 2-3 times within a few miles, sometimes it was days between failures. I have driven everything from compact cars to 3 ton trucks, forklifts, heavy equipment, etc. I would probably be considered an aggressive driver. As such, I have to be prepared for a failure of the mechanical systems, so I handle these things fairly well. My wife is not adept at such things and was scared to drive the truck until we got the repairs.

Note: After the system was replaced, I have driven over 32K miles without another issue.

I think there may be at least 3 different steering issues that have been seen on the trucks:

1. Total failure of both power steering and stabilitrak, intermittent, like I saw. Corrected by total replacement of steering rack.

2. Death wobble or some other sort of issue where steering becomes unstable, vibration in steering wheel, etc., corrected by reprogramming the steering control module.

3. Some other "total" failure of steering that occurs that only effects steering, not sure I have a clear understanding from the descriptions here.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:56 PM

What I find interesting is that I never experienced any of the issues related this recall until "after" they did the fix. My 2015 truck was in the group of trucks a part this recall and took it in. They "fixed it" and now I am having the steering issues. I have been back to dealer about 3 different times and each time they "can not replicate the problem" and the computer/system is not reporting any codes back. Someone mentioned that their truck pulls to the right post fix. Mine is the same thing and the dealership "claims" the alignment is fine. The offer I got from the dealership to buy my truck is looking more enticing everyday. Meant be time to upgrade to a 2016.

2015 Crew Cab Long Box Colorado - Black
- LT, 4WD, Safety Package, Trailer Package, Bose /w Navigation
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty57 View Post
My wife had the "steering assist reduced" message and hard steering issue last week in her 2016 Colorado. Luckily she hadn't gotten too far out of our driveway and was going at a low speed.

We had it towed to to dealership. They said there was "nothing wrong" with it. Driving it home it briefly flashed the same message. After seeing your pictures I won't let her drive it now.

I don't know what to do now. If I trade it off it is going to cost me a fortune in depreciation.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmbgky View Post
My wife had the "steering assist reduced" message and hard steering issue last week in her 2016 Colorado. Luckily she hadn't gotten too far out of our driveway and was going at a low speed.

We had it towed to to dealership. They said there was "nothing wrong" with it. Driving it home it briefly flashed the same message. After seeing your pictures I won't let her drive it now.

I don't know what to do now. If I trade it off it is going to cost me a fortune in depreciation.
Next time it happens, take a picture of the screen. Then take it to dealer and tell them to keep it till they solve the problem.

In my case, an error code was stored.

If they can't locate the issue and fix it, then escalate till GM replaces the entire steering system. I did not have to escalate, at that time the fix for the failure was total replacement.

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Next time it happens, take a picture of the screen. Then take it to dealer and tell them to keep it till they solve the problem.

In my case, an error code was stored.

If they can't locate the issue and fix it, then escalate till GM replaces the entire steering system. I did not have to escalate, at that time the fix for the failure was total replacement.
Good idea. Thanks. I just made a trip to get medicine and got a "Service Stabilitrak" message.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 AM

I can tell you they are aware of the problem and I have filed a report with NHTSA. Bring up threatened loss of life and see if that makes a difference. They can fix it by replacing the steering system. I still think there should be a formal recall and GMC should have stepped up and at least payed for my truck. I had been a loyal GM customer since I started driving and really like the truck but no more. I can also tell you I keep those photos on my phone and tell the story to whom ever will listen. I'm sure I won't bankrupt them but I will cost them as many sales as I possible can. I still have pain and don't think I will every be 100%. I hope you can convince them to fix the issue before either you or your wife is injured.

Last edited by monty57; 10-07-2016 at 06:50 PM.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:54 AM

I drove my to the dealership when it happened to 2015 with the dash lit up. Not easy to do but just be careful and don't let them shut it off until the service manager sees the issue and please don't buy the BS line, "this is the first time we seen this". because it is total crap. If it was the first time they has seen the issue, how come the part needed for repair where on indefinite back order. They could not tell me when they could get them to repair the 2015 which is why I pushed for them to tried into the 2016 of which I was assured (these no longer have the issue. The problem has been completely corrected. there seem to be enough people who have experienced the problem to start a class action. As I said earlier, I am not interested in a getting rich but just wanted the truck paid for or replaced with one that truly not going to have the problem.

If there are any GM personnel monitoring this site, someone should have the courtesy to speak up or maybe they want this to be another ignition switch scenario and deny it until someone dies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151229_152146.jpg (86.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_152213.jpg (169.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_152229.jpg (162.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_161149.jpg (149.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_161231.jpg (130.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_161144.jpg (143.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20151229_161252.jpg (147.9 KB, 39 views)
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 PM

I would like to ask anyone having this issue with either a 2015 or 2016, please file a report on the NHTSA site. This is a dangerous issue and should be brought to their attention as GM seem determined to deny that exists in the 2016s.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:41 PM

I have a 2015 Colorado. I had not experienced any steering issues until I had the recall work perform.

On 2/9/17, I had the recall work performed where did the following: "REPLACED STEERING SENSOR COVER, PERFORM ALIGNMENT, RE-LEARN ANGLE SENSOR, PERFORM ALIGNMENT, ROAD TEST". I picked up my trunk and went home. About 15 miles into my commute, I attempted to make a right hand turn and the steering completely locked what seemed like an eternity but was probably 1 second. I broke hard and crossed into the opposite lane until the steering freed up and I continued home. I drove it a few more days and did not experience any steering issue but I did notice a knocking sound coming from the front when hitting uneven road surfaces. The following week there were a few times where the steering did not respond for a fraction of a second. These times were very subtle, but they were there so on 2/22/17, I went back to the dealer. The said, "UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN AT THIS TIME"; however, they did secure a loose front fog light assembly to resolve the knocking. I picked up the trunk and initially did not hear any more knocking; however, the knocking was still there when on rough surfaces. I continued to experience the knocking and subtle issues where the steering did not immediately respond when corning, but I was getting used to it. Again, this was a fraction of a second.

On the weekend of March 18th, I again started to experience the locking. That Monday, March 20th, it happened approximately 20 times or more. On 3/22/17, I was back at the dealer where they were able to reproduce the issue. I was told that there were no codes in the system and I saw no lights on the dash. This time the performed the following: "33967 STEERING ASSIST MOTOR BINDING, HIGH EFFORT 3.20 NO DTC, SCAN DATA NORMAL, CIRCUIT TEST NORMAL, REPLACED STEERING GEAR, PERFORM EPSCM SET UP, PERFORM FRONT END ALIGNMENT. VERIFY REPAIRS". On 3/23,17, I picked up my truck and it seemed as good as new. Even the knocking went away.

On 4/2/17, I experienced 2 times back to back in a parking lot where the steering locked and I came close to hitting a parked car. On 4/3/17, on my way to the dealer, it again locked. Turning into the dealer parking lot, there was the subtle hesitation. The tech and the service advisor drove it and could not make it happen. I then went with the tech and I could not make it happen in the 15 minutes we were out. The tech told me that since there were not codes in the system there must not be a problem. I said that the problem with that is there were no codes in the system when they replaced the rack. He said they they did that under "customer satisfaction", whatever that means.

At this point, I'm not sure when it will happen again and I feel that this has been and is a safety issue. Each time the locking has occurred, I have been lucky enough to not hit anything, but it is only a matter of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode