GM Campaign #15118 - Block Heater Cord Too Long - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By impact
  • 3 Post By savagebob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

GM Campaign #15118 - Block Heater Cord Too Long

Just got back from the dealer and there was a new campaign number I had not seen on the forums before. #15118 - Block heater cord too long.

I assume early 2015 builds with the block heater option in Canada and Northern US States may want to check up on this.

My block heater cord was re-routed and re-strapped according to the paperwork.

2015 Canyon / 4x4 / SLT / CC / LB / G4 Elite Cover / GM Performance Exhaust / Diode Dynamics Yellow LED Fogs / LED Lic. Plate Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
Yup, I had that one. They didn't bother doing anything for me as I already had it nicely strapped to the front bumper for easy access.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:38 PM

Done today as well.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:40 AM

Garage
So, what is to long? How long did they make it?

Ordered 09/16/16, Built 10/13/16, 10/19/16 Transit to the Dealership! 10/31/16 at the Dealer. 11/06/16 Home. 4x4 Canyon SLT 2.8L Duramax short box, Bronze Alloy Metallica w/ Cocoa Dune interior.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 PM

Probably the cord?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:06 PM

I had a good look at the cord. The length is the same as before. The tech routed it the exact same path that I had selected on the left side of the truck except that he removed my tie wraps and installed fancy clips instead....lol
Also, it would appear that he also wrapped about 6 inches of flexible heat shield material not unlike aluminium foil at the base of the cord nearest the engine block to deflect heat and prevent the rubber from melting. This would be the extent of the modification and recall from what I observed under the hood.
k7tnt likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

After popping the hood, I can confirm the same work was performed that @impact describes. I'll try to take pictures when it is light out....

2015 Canyon / 4x4 / SLT / CC / LB / G4 Elite Cover / GM Performance Exhaust / Diode Dynamics Yellow LED Fogs / LED Lic. Plate Bulbs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 AM

Garage
This is why I was asking. I always rerouted the block heater cable myself. I run a heater in my cab. I then run both eleteric cords together out of the front grill. I then run them into a three way plug. That goes into one cord. I heat my engine and my cab at the same time. So when I come out from work and Windows have no ice to scrap. The cab is warm, I have done this for years.

Ordered 09/16/16, Built 10/13/16, 10/19/16 Transit to the Dealership! 10/31/16 at the Dealer. 11/06/16 Home. 4x4 Canyon SLT 2.8L Duramax short box, Bronze Alloy Metallica w/ Cocoa Dune interior.

Last edited by k7tnt; 04-03-2016 at 12:42 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 AM

Garage
I wonder how many have been made "longer" when the owner's spouse or teenager drove off without disconnecting. I saw a police car with a gas nozzle hanging out of the filler neck going down the street once.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:42 AM

Garage
Interesting, when I bought my truck here in Alaska it said that it had the block heater installed. Took me two months (in the summer thankfully) to finally find it because the cord was still coiled up and packaged where the factory installed the heater, but didn't even bother to route the cable. Maybe that's what this bulletin is for? I took it and did what everyone else here seems to have done and routed it along the left side fender and out the lower grille. I don't use the heater often because I usually park the truck in my garage, but those few winter nights the garage was full with another project, the heater made cold morning starts nice and smooth.

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 - CCSB
Bose - Navi - Tow Pack - Sliding Rear Glass - 20% Tint - Air Dam Removed - Monstaliner Bed Liner - Fought a Black Bear, and Won!

Plans
265/70R17 Tires - Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks - Fender Flares - Bumper LED light bar - Stereo??

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 4x4
Custom stereo - General Grabber AT2 Tires - 20" LED Light Bar - my "Beater with a Heater"/back roads vehicle
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Interesting, when I bought my truck here in Alaska it said that it had the block heater installed. Took me two months (in the summer thankfully) to finally find it because the cord was still coiled up and packaged where the factory installed the heater, but didn't even bother to route the cable. Maybe that's what this bulletin is for? I took it and did what everyone else here seems to have done and routed it along the left side fender and out the lower grille. I don't use the heater often because I usually park the truck in my garage, but those few winter nights the garage was full with another project, the heater made cold morning starts nice and smooth.
Your experience is not unlike most others. It took a while for many to find the cord.

This bulletin is outlined earlier posts in this thread. The cord is deemed too long (for whatever reason) and GM is making an effort to route it out of harms way and insulate the length nearest the high heat source.

The bulletin is not related to uncoiling it for the buyer.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
The bulletin is not related to uncoiling it for the buyer.
I would have to disagree. Bet you a dollar to a donut that the production team is applying this fix to all block heater orders. It was a mistake to ship out coiled way down below and practically inaccessible. They realized their mistake and doing this recall to route the cable in a fashion so that people can actually find it right away when popping the hood open so in effect uncoiling it for the buyer if they have not already done so and of course making sure that the path selected is out of harms way.

Last edited by impact; 04-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:31 PM

They're not getting my truck for that. I just had enuff cord to route it where I wanted it. The cord WAS coiled up, In fact, it was very close to the manifold .

I also agree with the above statement. They didn't purposely leave the cord all balled up and almost NOT reachable, so that the Customer can route it them selves... Obvious mistake.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT

Last edited by CRAIGER; 04-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 PM

I had my dealer route the cord before I picked the truck up. Said it would not melt from the exhaust like some had happen. Had the oil changed yesterday and they told me about the notice, checked it out and said they had to order parts and would take 1/2 hour to fix. Maybe they have special clips to hold it. Time will tell.

Colorado Z71, CC, LB, 4WD, Laser Blue
Ordered Feb. 23.
Apr. 16 TPW MAY 18,
May 21 Truck built, VIN issued
June 09 Truck left plant on May 30
June 24 Truck arrived at dealer
June 25 Picked my truck up!
Time for mods!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM

While we're on the subject of engine block heaters, I ordered my 2015 CC with one installed. Temperatures in my part of the county rarely get below zero degrees, and the plug comes with a thermostat installed that keeps the block heater from working above zero degrees. The reason I wanted the block heater is for those mornings when it does get down to about 8 - 10 degrees. That is COLD to and engine. I was hoping to ease the wear and tear on the engine from such a cold startup. My question is, could I just remove that factory installed plug and replace it with a standard plug? Would that cause any engine codes to come up when the ECU realizes it's not below zero degrees? Or is there any way to reprogram the ECU to ignore the temperature reading outside? Any one have any suggestions? I'm sure the engineers at Chevrolet can figure this out if I could just talk to one sometime. Yeh........right. I'm sure they would take the time out to talk to a minion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode