Recall #2027620 - Incorrect receiver hitch installed - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Looks like my truck is listed on this recall.

The impression I get is that the actual label is not the deciding factor on the load rating.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 PM

This might be unlikely but, what if your label is right for your truck but, you still have the weaker hitch? While I'm sure the 3500 lb hitch looks a bit different, you won't know for sure unless you compare. You can be sure that the 7500 lb, 7600 lb and 7700 lb hitches are all the same. There would be no pile of already labeled hitches at the factory. Different labels would go on after the hitch is installed depending on gas, diesel, 2wd, 4wd etc. It would be good to crawl under a four cylinder truck to see if the hitch looks different.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vois1 View Post
Feel free to delete -- already a thread and I missed it.

Just checked on the GMC site and this is the first recall I have seen for my VIN. I think mine is fine (checked hitch label from other thread) but wanted to put it out there. The recall was posted 6/1/16.

• GM Program #:

• Date Issued:
  • Jun 01, 2016

Program Title:
Incorrect Trailer Hitch
Program Description:
Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles, equipped with heavy-duty trailering package (RPO Z82), which includes a trailer hitch rated at 7,000 lb, may have been built with a 3,500 lb trailer hitch. If a 3,500 lb trailer hitch is used to tow more than 3,500 lb, cracks could develop at the hitch. Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.
Safety Risk Description:
Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.
Repair Description:
Inspect for the presence of a heavy-duty trailer hitch and, if necessary, install a new hitch.
Merged.

post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Now, I have to question how the techs inspect that the proper hitch is installed in accordance with the bulletin.

Bet you a dollar to a donut that they simply look at the label....
404 Not Found likes this.
post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
This might be unlikely but, what if your label is right for your truck but, you still have the weaker hitch? While I'm sure the 3500 lb hitch looks a bit different, you won't know for sure unless you compare. You can be sure that the 7500 lb, 7600 lb and 7700 lb hitches are all the same. There would be no pile of already labeled hitches at the factory. Different labels would go on after the hitch is installed depending on gas, diesel, 2wd, 4wd etc. It would be good to crawl under a four cylinder truck to see if the hitch looks different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
Now, I have to question how the techs inspect that the proper hitch is installed in accordance with the bulletin.

Bet you a dollar to a donut that they simply look at the label....
I guess that is my issue. How can you really tell the difference between a 3500 pound hitch and a 7000 pound hitch? I find it hard to believe that GM built a special hitch rated for 3500 pounds to install on the 4 cyl trucks, that sounds crazy to me. I did not even think you could get a factory receiver on the 4 cyl trucks.
ENYPDE likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:55 PM

In reality, you should easily tell by the size of the receiver.

1-1/4" x 1-1/4" - Class I and Class II Hitches - Up to 3,500 LBS

2" x 2" - Class III and Class IV Hitches - Up to 12,000 LBS

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitch-size.aspx
2016ColoradoZ71 likes this.
post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks, this is what I was thinking. I don't think a 2" receiver would be made for towing something as small as 3,500lbs.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I find it hard to believe it is that simple, but if so I am good. Still need to look at my label for the specs.
Opusnbill7 likes this.

post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I guess that is my issue. How can you really tell the difference between a 3500 pound hitch and a 7000 pound hitch? I find it hard to believe that GM built a special hitch rated for 3500 pounds to install on the 4 cyl trucks, that sounds crazy to me. I did not even think you could get a factory receiver on the 4 cyl trucks.
The factory loves to reach into the parts bin. The 3500 lb hitch might have already existed on a small SUV and they carried it over. I would be glad to crawl under some trucks at the dealer to check but, I can't find any. You guys keep buying them up. Checking existing trucks at the mall could be really dangerous.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The factory loves to reach into the parts bin. The 3500 lb hitch might have already existed on a small SUV and they carried it over. I would be glad to crawl under some trucks at the dealer to check but, I can't find any. You guys keep buying them up. Checking existing trucks at the mall could be really dangerous.
Check the delivery yard for trucks.
404 Not Found likes this.
post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Ok 08Canyon. Thanks. Great thread here. I went and checked the label on my RWD diesel. I was relieved to find I have the correct hitch. I did find what looks to be a mistake on the label that impact posted above. It looks like the tongue weight and total weight are switched around. The metric weight is also blanked out with Xs. Look at my label and compare.
My label looks just like yours but I have the 3.6. Smh...

Anyway, here you can check recalls on your vehicle by entering the Vin number:

https://my.gm.com/recalls

2016 GMC Canyon SLE 4x4, Onyx Black

Last edited by joeydiver; 06-14-2016 at 05:49 AM.
post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM

Garage
Ok So I received an email wanting me to call my dealer over the hitch recall. Called them up and made an appt to take it in today so they can look at it and address another issue that a service bulletin came out for recently but I won't specifically mention here because it is not the subject of this thread.

Questioned the service manager on the phone about the hitch recall and he said the picture of the wrong hitch they received looks like there is no receiver on it. I know that can't be right but I will see if I can get him to show me the pic when I take the truck in later today.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:09 PM

OK, I am on the recall list, but my truck has a 2" receiver and a label that says 7500 towing/900 pound tongue limits.

post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 PM

got the same thing, going in Friday
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM

Garage
Even if you have the correct sticker, you still have to get it checked? Can anyone with a 3500lb hitch post some pics of it? I'm tired of going to the dealer unless it's absolutely necessary.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
At the dealer and got a look at the notice and diagrams. What the service notice is showing as the incorrect hitch is the bumper hitch assembly. This the one that is used for a ball mounted in the bumper knockout. Basically if you have the towing package and there is no receiver under your bumper you have the wrong one. If you have the 2 inch receiver your good.
post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
At the dealer and got a look at the notice and diagrams. What the service notice is showing as the incorrect hitch is the bumper hitch assembly. This the one that is used for a ball mounted in the bumper knockout. Basically if you have the towing package and there is no receiver under your bumper you have the wrong one. If you have the 2 inch receiver your good.
Thank you for clearing this up.

In other words, if you drove off the lot after paying for a truck with the tow package and you didn't have a 2" receiver, then YOU, the DEALER, and the FACTORY screwed up.

Seems like the recall could be handled by the service advisor and no need to actually do much more than drop by, get a cup of coffee and say Hi to the service advisor.

Bad part is if your truck actually has a problem, then I bet they have to order the part, so two trips to the dealer.
Land Shark likes this.

post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
Really? I also have the recall notice and no mention of the bumper and the recall is specific to the purchased towing package.
The bumper was never designed for anything over 3,500 lbs.
Well, I'm about to find out tomorrow morning at 8:00 am for my schedule appointment.

Worst case scenario, I will insist that they order and attach the proper label...

Program Title:

Incorrect Trailer Hitch

Program Description:

Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles, equipped with heavy-duty trailering package (RPO Z82), which includes a trailer hitch rated at 7,000 lb, may have been built with a 3,500 lb trailer hitch. If a 3,500 lb trailer hitch is used to tow more than 3,500 lb, cracks could develop at the hitch. Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Safety Risk Description:

Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Repair Description:

Inspect for the presence of a heavy-duty trailer hitch and, if necessary, install a new hitch.
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:11 PM

This thread (attached link) has pictures of the bumper mounted receiver hitch. The owner removed it to install a factory frame mounted hitch.

Sounds as if the trailer towing package may have had the hitch from the attached link installed inadvertently. OR, later production models ended up including the hitch/tow package as standard equipment whereas in the provided link the owner must have separately ordered the tow package and now GM is equipping the applicable trucks with this hitch system.

Hitch Installation (Pictures)
post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:14 PM

Garage
I actually saw the pictures of the incorrect part an the correct part on the service writers screen and the incorrect part was clearly the hitch assembly for a bumper mounted ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode