Recall #2027620 - Incorrect receiver hitch installed - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
I actually saw the pictures of the incorrect part an the correct part on the service writers screen and the incorrect part was clearly the hitch assembly for a bumper mounted ball.
OK, starting to get the picture here. Just punching out the plastic and installing a ball on the bumper like the good old days to tow 3,500 lbs on the bumper is not good enough? Additional hardware to support it is required?

If you have a frame mounted hitch then you are good for 7,000 lbs?

Edit: More confusion: The owners manual makes no mention of special hardware requirements.

A step-bumper hitch is limited to
1587 kg (3,500 lb) total weight.

Last edited by impact; 06-14-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
I actually saw the pictures of the incorrect part an the correct part on the service writers screen and the incorrect part was clearly the hitch assembly for a bumper mounted ball.
So if you have an actual hitch that frame mounts, you should be good to go? I've towed 5500lbs with mine several times and all the welds look good... "knocks on my head"
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
So if you have an actual hitch that frame mounts, you should be good to go? I've towed 5500lbs with mine several times and all the welds look good... "knocks on my head"
Yes, you should be good to go.

I just left the Chevy dealership in the serviceman told me as long as you have the 2-inch square receiver hitch hanging below your bumper, you have the 7000 pound hitch.
JBT and wildwest450 like this.

I carry a gun because cops are too heavy...

post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Trailer Hitch Recall

FYI just found this out today:

GM Program #2027620
Date Issued: Jun 01, 2016
Program Title: Incorrect Trailer Hitch

Program Description:
Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles, equipped with heavy-duty trailering package (RPO Z82), which includes a trailer hitch rated at 7,000 lb, may have been built with a 3,500 lb trailer hitch. If a 3,500 lb trailer hitch is used to tow more than 3,500 lb, cracks could develop at the hitch. Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Safety Risk Description:
Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Repair Description:
Inspect for the presence of a heavy-duty trailer hitch and, if necessary, install a new hitch.

2016 Chevy Colorado 4WD LT CC/Long Box
Red Rock 3.6 V6 w/ 6-sp Automatic
Nav w/ Bose Audio
Locking Rear Diff w/ Trailering Package
Factory Performance Exhaust
Transfer Case Skid Shield
Z71 Grille
Black Emblems

Aftermarket Options:
TruXP 1.25" Leveling Kit
Skidz Engine Guard
Summit Racing Hood Stripe
TruXmart Tri Fold Tonneau Cover
Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat
Stubby Antenna
Yellow Fog Lights
Sylvania Ultra SilverStar High/Low beams
LED Reverse & Bed lights
post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Recall #2027620 - Incorrect receiver hitch installed

post #46 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravideditor View Post
FYI just found this out today:

GM Program #2027620
Date Issued: Jun 01, 2016
Program Title: Incorrect Trailer Hitch

Program Description:
Certain 2015-2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles, equipped with heavy-duty trailering package (RPO Z82), which includes a trailer hitch rated at 7,000 lb, may have been built with a 3,500 lb trailer hitch. If a 3,500 lb trailer hitch is used to tow more than 3,500 lb, cracks could develop at the hitch. Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Safety Risk Description:
Over time these cracks could potentially spread and fatigue the hitch. If the vehicle is being operated with a trailered load, a fatigued trailer hitch could allow the trailer to separate from the tow vehicle.

Repair Description:
Inspect for the presence of a heavy-duty trailer hitch and, if necessary, install a new hitch.
Quote:
Merged
post #47 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
This thread (attached link) has pictures of the bumper mounted receiver hitch. The owner removed it to install a factory frame mounted hitch.

Sounds as if the trailer towing package may have had the hitch from the attached link installed inadvertently. OR, later production models ended up including the hitch/tow package as standard equipment whereas in the provided link the owner must have separately ordered the tow package and now GM is equipping the applicable trucks with this hitch system.

Hitch Installation (Pictures)
Your exactly right. I remember seeing that part in the thread you linked before so when I saw the part diagram on the advisors screen I immediately recognized it.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #48 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM

I had the hitch inspected this morning and I have the correct one installed. I asked the service adviser for an explanation on how that was determined but she was at a lost to provide that information and apparently the mechanic was too busy to come to the front desk. The label I have also remained intact and I'm OK with it. Peace of mind!
post #49 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
I had the hitch inspected this morning and I have the correct one installed. I asked the service adviser for an explanation on how that was determined but she was at a lost to provide that information and apparently the mechanic was too busy to come to the front desk. The label I have also remained intact and I'm OK with it. Peace of mind!
Peace of mind and "she" don't go together.
garymikey1982 likes this.

post #50 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM

Hi Zulukilla8,

If you have any other questions regarding your vehicle’s recall, please reach out to us via private message. We're more than happy to provide an extra layer of assistance.

Regards,

Anthony J.
GM Customer Care
acmerep likes this.

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #51 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Just checked my receiver, my sticker has the 7500 lb tongue weight /900 lb max capacity issue ��

2016 GMC 2WD Short Bed SLT in Cyber Gray.
Towing package, Bose, Nav, and Driver alert
post #52 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Hi Zulukilla8,

If you have any other questions regarding your vehicle’s recall, please reach out to us via private message. We're more than happy to provide an extra layer of assistance.

Regards,

Anthony J.

GM Customer Care

Can you tell us exactly what the difference is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dl55 View Post
Can you tell us exactly what the difference is?

See post #36
post #54 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:53 PM

aye, I went through the entire thread this AM. I must have missed that one. Thanks!

post #55 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
OK, starting to get the picture here. Just punching out the plastic and installing a ball on the bumper like the good old days to tow 3,500 lbs on the bumper is not good enough? Additional hardware to support it is required?

If you have a frame mounted hitch then you are good for 7,000 lbs?

Edit: More confusion: The owners manual makes no mention of special hardware requirements.

A step-bumper hitch is limited to
1587 kg (3,500 lb) total weight.
I wonder if this bumper hitch is rated that way because a 2” x 3/4” trailer ball is rated at 3500lbs and the "hitch" is just a bumper with a hole in it.
post #56 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM

i'm at the dealer now for a routine oil change and they told me my truck was covered by this recall. I've got the trailer package.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #57 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Garage
Took mine in with my camper hooked up and blocked the entire lot so they could check it, they said it was fine but wouldn't check it off the "list" until they could put it on a lift, kinda stupid. Basically if you have a square hole behind your truck, you're good to go. The 3500lb setup is just a piece underneath to strengthen the bumper, no provision for a hitch receiver.

post #58 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 AM

Garage
Surprising that the monthly OnStar diagnostics email got this one right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monthly OnStar Email.JPG (15.1 KB, 56 views)
post #59 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Took mine in with my camper hooked up and blocked the entire lot so they could check it, they said it was fine but wouldn't check it off the "list" until they could put it on a lift, kinda stupid. Basically if you have a square hole behind your truck, you're good to go. The 3500lb setup is just a piece underneath to strengthen the bumper, no provision for a hitch receiver.
Welcome to GM Service Center's (Home of the 2 visit for 1 service procedure, we strive to waist your time)
Kane Martin and acmerep like this.
post #60 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:14 AM

So my understanding of this is that if you have the receiver then you're okay which makes me wonder how the heck are people towing without the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode