• 5 Post By Tinker
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By Kokiri
  • 3 Post By zozmanGMC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ridiculous Multiple Recall Repairs

I figured this is the place to grumble as if I start grumbling at the dealer I may start shouting. I brought my truck to the dealer on Wednesday for a 730 am appointment I am still in my 2 years free maintenance @ 22000 miles. They had to check the hitch, some wiring around the valve cover and that steering sensor cover recall. I also asked them to perform the steering calibration update that takes care of the wobbling on long curves at highway speeds. Then I told them about the shimmy and shaking I felt on smooth roads (highway), I had complained at my first oil change about it and showed them the cupping on the outside front tires. The dealer proceeded to tell me the calibration specs were not yet available so they couldn't do the alignment. Fast forward to the next oil change and the next and was told the same thing. Now I finally have had enough, and they now tell me I have to pay for the alignment $130 because GM only has a 12000/12 month warranty on the alignment. I've been complaining about it since the beginning now I have to pay for it? WTF(udge) it's not my fault they couldn't do it.
So I told them I was waiting because the dealer shuttle only has a 15 mile radius which is too short to either get me home or to work. Around 1130 the service writer came to me to tell me the part isn't in stock for the steering thing and they are giving me a loaner (OK why did you wait 4 hours to tell me that) If you didn't have the part in stock why didn't you tell me when I dropped it off?). It's been two days in a PDS(pretty darn small) Chevy Trax. Then I had to call them to find out my truck was done at noon. Why didn't they call me?
I'm done now. Have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I figured this is the place to grumble as if I start grumbling at the dealer I may start shouting. I brought my truck to the dealer on Wednesday for a 730 am appointment I am still in my 2 years free maintenance @ 22000 miles. They had to check the hitch, some wiring around the valve cover and that steering sensor cover recall. I also asked them to perform the steering calibration update that takes care of the wobbling on long curves at highway speeds. Then I told them about the shimmy and shaking I felt on smooth roads (highway), I had complained at my first oil change about it and showed them the cupping on the outside front tires. The dealer proceeded to tell me the calibration specs were not yet available so they couldn't do the alignment. Fast forward to the next oil change and the next and was told the same thing. Now I finally have had enough, and they now tell me I have to pay for the alignment $130 because GM only has a 12000/12 month warranty on the alignment. I've been complaining about it since the beginning now I have to pay for it? WTF(udge) it's not my fault they couldn't do it.
So I told them I was waiting because the dealer shuttle only has a 15 mile radius which is too short to either get me home or to work. Around 1130 the service writer came to me to tell me the part isn't in stock for the steering thing and they are giving me a loaner (OK why did you wait 4 hours to tell me that) If you didn't have the part in stock why didn't you tell me when I dropped it off?). It's been two days in a PDS(pretty darn small) Chevy Trax. Then I had to call them to find out my truck was done at noon. Why didn't they call me?
I'm done now. Have a great day.
PAR, BumbleZ, mgw5099 and 2 others like this.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
I've had a similar experience where they called me in for the hood latch recall, and when I arrived, they didn't have the latch. Sucks about the alignment though. I've actually had two done so far: When I got the leveling kit installed and when I had the new tires put on. Not having the specs sounds like BS to me...
100MPG likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Kokiri, it's just what I needed. To have some strange dog put his paw on some weird girls' shoulder.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kokiri, it's just what I needed. To have some strange dog put his paw on some weird girls' shoulder.
Good, I didn't have a clue what it meant. I feel extremely old sometimes.

I am a little frustrated myself with the fact that service departments are so backed up that they end up keeping my truck for several days for anything more than an oil change or a software update. GM dealers should be able to do better. There is no connection between the person you set appointment on the phone with and the actual service techs or parts department.
Garrettb189 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Happy to help.
drewabbs likes this.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Touched By A Service Advisor

Quote:

The girl is homeless and the dog has rabies but neither has a recall.

zoz
100MPG, Vinolush and DrewNJ like this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Garage
Unfortunately sounds like par for the course.
Dodge(chrysler, yeep etc..) is the worst imo, as the manufacturer doesn't bother to survey us customers, so it's like stepping back into 1976 every time you roll into a Yeep(Dodge/Chrysler) dealer.
My last vehicle(yeep) I had to explain to the SHOP FOREMAN what detonation is(you know, the pinging you used to hear on carbureted vehicles?), and of course they didn't do anything about it, so it took them 3 days to do an oil change When I got home. I discovered a battery jumper box in my back seat, which told me they had my vehicle there for 3 days(and 87 miles) so they could use it to 'rescue' vehicles stranded on the road.
Next dealer I went to I called before hand and tried to set up the rental vehicle beforehand, only to be told that they don't do that beforehand, and all I need to do is make an appointment so my yeep gets taken care of when I bring it in.
So I gave him the choice of when they wanted it, and he made me an appointment for a Monday morning so I dropped it off the night before.
At 3pm the next day after not hearing from them I called the service writer on the phone. His words were to the effect of they haven't looked at it yet, and may not get to it 'til Wednesday. After I asked him why the **** he told me to make an appointment so my heep would be in and out the same day , he retorted that he has people who's vehicle's have been in there 'for two weeks'. Total twilight zone, so I picked it up.
Isn't a 'Trax' 4wd? If so, take advantage of the free rental and go play rally driver 2016 up in the hills(BIGthumbsUP!)

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Any consolation, my 2009 Wrangler has two outstanding recalls on it, I have lost count of the total, most minor. These two are for airbag issues. I believe one is the major airbag issue of exploding airbag shrapnel. The other one is pretty funny: On a soft top Wrangler designed to allow me to explore the outdoors with the wind in my hair, they have determined that dust could find it's way into the airbag system and cause a problem. Who would have ever thought a Wrangler would be in a dusty environment?

At least the second recall reminded me about the first recall. Both of the recalls said they would contact me when they find some parts that fix the problem.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
When I got home. I discovered a battery jumper box in my back seat, which told me they had my vehicle there for 3 days(and 87 miles) so they could use it to 'rescue' vehicles stranded on the road.
that is without question, the worst dealer story I have even heard.
Wait, it might be a tie with the story about the dealer mechanic that took a customers NEW truck for a test drive (?) when the wheel fell off and destroyed the bed.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:03 PM

I have heard and seen as bad and worse. I am a firm believer in finding a good service department and that is where you buy the vehicle. Often that dealer will be pretty close to the best price you can find on the purchase anyway since a good service department goes hand in hand with caring about customers. Consider the extra grand you might spend on the purchase an investment on not having to deal with that sort of BS.

There are still dealers out there that will pull a part from a stock vehicle to get you on your way. When you find one, support them to keep them around! It is kind of like supporting the local hardware store instead of going to the big box to save 2%. If we are going to rebuild this economy for the little people, we need to vote with our dollars from the bottom up... but I digress.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRado View Post
Consider the extra grand you might spend on the purchase an investment on not having to deal with that sort of BS. There are still dealers out there that will pull a part from a stock vehicle to get you on your way. When you find one, support them to keep them around! It is kind of like supporting the local hardware store instead of going to the big box to save 2%. If we are going to rebuild this economy for the little people, we need to vote with our dollars from the bottom up... but I digress.
There are good dealers out in the world, but I'm not sure that most car dealers fit the category of 'the little people' given the plethora of regulatory anti-competition laws. Just ask Tesla and any other car mfg trying to break into the business or sell vehicles online. I've had good experiences with dealerships, but there is some bad to go with it for sure!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 PM

Garage
Indeed there are. I drove 39 miles to a great dealer yesterday. Past numerous other dealers with so so service reviews in the Atlanta area.

I had the shutter CCM recall/replacement completed, console safety latch recall/replacement, and hitch inspection completed. In addition, I had the Android Auto update installed. All completed in 2.5 hours. Great dealer.

I did contact them in advance stating the recall numbers, etc., so they did order the parts in advance and were ready to roll when I pulled in.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Got a recall fixed for airbag, now it makes some creeking noise. FML
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Garage
8 months old and my 2016 Diesel has had zero recalls, keeping fingers crossed.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
that is without question, the worst dealer story I have even heard.
Wait, it might be a tie with the story about the dealer mechanic that took a customers NEW truck for a test drive (?) when the wheel fell off and destroyed the bed.
I remember that one....cant remember the link as Im curious how he made out.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode